Modder building a custom Show Jeep -- give us your suggestions!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Modder building a custom Show Jeep -- give us your suggestions!!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #31
jkdood
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
jkdood - ya'll have your work cut out for you. In building a show vehicle the object being to sell units so pupose being to grab the attention of as many people as possible you have to have "something for everyone" (that approach was easier with a ferrari replica kit as my experience was - basically the "options" came down to big block, small block, auto or 4 speed, 6 speed, super, turbo or natural, color and brakes). But with as utility a veh as the Jeep you have the rock crowd, the desert crowd, the expedition crowd, the mud crowd, the speed (SCORE not dope) crowd etc.

The problem is that most manufacturers stuff is a "matched set" so to speak. So the mix and match approach can get tricky when shape and functions are so far different between manufacturer. I have the poison spider rocker knockers, rock hard pans, garmin bumpers - some clash in design but it ends up working - but mudder don't like the pans, rocker don't like the bumpers etc.

good luck! maybe photoshop to mix and match parts first?
Yup, the advice given has inspired much storming of brains and gnashing of teeth.

We're actually doing 2 jeeps -- one is already in production and will burgle cues from safari-going Land Rovers of lore. It'll be in an old-timey seafoam green with off-white wheels, tops, etc. You guys will love it. Well, i'm certain some won't, and that we'll be hearing from them on here.. :0

The other is taking shape in our imaginations -- we think we'll go all MBRP with the bumpers and racks, still undecided on rockers but thinking steps for practicality, will be running on 37's and a 6-inch lift (maybe Rubicon Express, thoughts?).

So what's the fav lift for you guys? We'll also plan on new shafts and of course a beefy steering stabilizer.

TIPS! TIPS! TIPS!

--KH

jkdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #32
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdood

Yup, the advice given has inspired much storming of brains and gnashing of teeth.

We're actually doing 2 jeeps -- one is already in production and will burgle cues from safari-going Land Rovers of lore. It'll be in an old-timey seafoam green with off-white wheels, tops, etc. You guys will love it. Well, i'm certain some won't, and that we'll be hearing from them on here.. :0

The other is taking shape in our imaginations -- we think we'll go all MBRP with the bumpers and racks, still undecided on rockers but thinking steps for practicality, will be running on 37's and a 6-inch lift (maybe Rubicon Express, thoughts?).

So what's the fav lift for you guys? We'll also plan on new shafts and of course a beefy steering stabilizer.

TIPS! TIPS! TIPS!

--KH
6" lift is not necessary for 37s...I promise. If you only have certain brands available to you via your current supplier, reach out, you will find support, especially considering your audience via shows. Your color theme sounds unique (which automatically qualifies as cool, in my book).

As far as rockers - if you want to appeal to a larger audience, find one that offers not only a step, but legitimate protection as well (exactly why I looked towards teraflex...for my needs and wife's as well).

3" lift (half of your planned lift) and 37s...granted, I have flat fenders, but 4.5 will do with stock flares.

forumrunner_20111214_213807.jpg
forumrunner_20111214_213851.jpg  
Hi I'm terry and I like boobs, sheep, knives, guns, mobile homes, bomber hats and FSJs and old novas, the Ohio state buckeyes, younger women, planes, porsches, semi trucks, guys who spell their name THom, women who love cats and Prius', men who play or used to play rugby, thigh highs, red heads, blondes, brunettes, brown heads, and the dimples right above the crack of a womans bottom.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #33
jerryjeeper
Old Jeep Guy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Kevin,
Sent an e-mail to you this evening. Great idea to poll the guys here on the forum for comments / ideas on future builds.
jerryjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #34
jkdood
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeeper View Post
Kevin,
Sent an e-mail to you this evening. Great idea to poll the guys here on the forum for comments / ideas on future builds.
Jerry -- yes, got it! Thanks for all the insight.

Based on advice from you guys I'm thinking of the std 4" lift with pocket style Bushwackers and 37's. The beadlocks don't seem to be DOT-certified and require some upkeep (retorque-ing), so I might stick with some fashionable alloys.

We'll do the customary steering stabilizer single) and probably add adj trackbars to this one to keep the sneers to a minimum.

So what's an impressive lift to you guys in the 4" range --no welding, replacement arms or shafts required? This one is for you snobs (heheh), so the "cheapo" Pro-Comp we use on our road-going stock units probably won't cut the mustard....

THX!
Unread 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #35
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdood View Post
Jerry -- yes, got it! Thanks for all the insight.

Based on advice from you guys I'm thinking of the std 4" lift with pocket style Bushwackers and 37's. The beadlocks don't seem to be DOT-certified and require some upkeep (retorque-ing), so I might stick with some fashionable alloys.
Good call - exactly why I ended up avoiding bead locks...didn't want to deal with the upkeep on a vehicle I drive daily

Quote:
We'll do the customary steering stabilizer single) and probably add adj trackbars to this one to keep the sneers to a minimum.
one steering stabilizer is plenty, good choice I'd stick with the matching brand for your trackbar as well (tera suspension/tera trackbar, rk suspension/rk trackbar, etc.)

Quote:
So what's an impressive lift to you guys in the 4" range --no welding, replacement arms or shafts required? This one is for you snobs (heheh), so the "cheapo" Pro-Comp we use on our road-going stock units probably won't cut the mustard....

THX!
At 4" - front driveshaft will become necessary sooner than later as a vehicle that is heavily driven/offroaded at all, but for your purposes (shows, etc.) you should be just fine.

I like Teraflex:

4" lift w/ shocks
Steering Stabilizer
Monster Trackbar Big fan of this design - forged, similar to oem, but much beefier (you can't appreciate it till you have the oh **** moment when the big hunk of steel is in your hand ), and I like the adjuster sleeve design better than the jam nuts that JKS and money others use.

Or

Synergy - Synergy might be a good option for your circumstance because of its customability - you can essentially build your own kit, with track bars, brackets, discos, control arms, etc., all optional. You can make it as simple or as expensive and complete as you would like, and poly performance/synergy is a good, reliable brand utilizing quality materials.
Hi I'm terry and I like boobs, sheep, knives, guns, mobile homes, bomber hats and FSJs and old novas, the Ohio state buckeyes, younger women, planes, porsches, semi trucks, guys who spell their name THom, women who love cats and Prius', men who play or used to play rugby, thigh highs, red heads, blondes, brunettes, brown heads, and the dimples right above the crack of a womans bottom.
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #36
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not all beadlocks are non DOT - and the hutchinson type do not need constant retorquing (yes they need retorue after 400 miles just like your lugs - but then are good unless they are taken back apart). But unfortunately the DOT/Hutchinson types are not high on the style list! The best LOOKING beadlocks are still the ring lock types and those do need maint. I am going with two set of wheels and tires, both 35s one set on beadlocks for off road runs (still haven't made up my mind which ones), and one set on the stock wheels for daily.
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
jkdood
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi guys!

Been pretty busy with the builds and Dallas Safari Club convention (INCREDIBLE!), and I see you've been busy trading nastygrams with lhountz... sorry I missed out on all the fun!

Anyway, I want to thank you all again for your input and share what we wound up building and displaying in the show:

'Safari Series'
http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/us...Texas/2207056/

'Adventure Series'
http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/us...Texas/2276978/

Show pics:

Hope you guys like 'em.. I'm sure I'll be hearing from those who don't, heheh.....

Thanks!!

Kevin
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #38
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdood
Hi guys!

Been pretty busy with the builds and Dallas Safari Club convention (INCREDIBLE!), and I see you've been busy trading nastygrams with lhountz... sorry I missed out on all the fun!

Anyway, I want to thank you all again for your input and share what we wound up building and displaying in the show:

'Safari Series'
http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/us...Texas/2207056/

'Adventure Series'
http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/us...Texas/2276978/

Show pics:

Hope you guys like 'em.. I'm sure I'll be hearing from those who don't, heheh.....

Thanks!!

Kevin
No comments on the teal one

Specs/additional pics on the "adventure series"? I think I see some parts on that one that don't suck cool color scheme, too!

Edit - I'm an idiot...looked right past the link
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

The dual steering stabilizer and choice of suspension are my only knock against it...well done!
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
jkdood
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
The dual steering stabilizer and choice of suspension are my only knock against it...well done!
Thanks! It was a good show, and the green/tan rig definitely stole it.

-KH

Tags
advice , bar , lift , suggestions , winch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.