Modder building a custom Show Jeep -- give us your suggestions!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Modder building a custom Show Jeep -- give us your suggestions!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
jkdood
1986 CJ7 

Modder building a custom Show Jeep -- give us your suggestions!!

Hi guys & gals,

We're a modder planning a JK build for an upcoming show, and would like to conduct a very informal poll to determine what type of upgrades to include.

We're mostly looking for feedback in the areas of lift, winch and bumpers. We coat these with a Kevlar liner already, so body armor and similar other adds probably aren't what we are looking for direction on. You can see what we typically produce here:

http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/Custom_Jeeps

http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/in.../All_vehicles/

http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/in...hicles/?sold=1

We're not looking to build the "dream Jeep" by any stretch -- we need this to be something that will appeal to the hardcore Jeep set, but at a price-point that won't scare off the masses. Think "bang for YOUR buck".

Any opinions/suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

--Kevin H.

jkdood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

As far as suspension systems go - aev, teraflex, synergy, rock krawler, and Offroad evolution are all top notch. Maybe you can talk one of the companies into anodizing or powder coating some of the steering components to match your color theme

Armor - river raider, poison spyder (overrated but popular), Offroad evolution, lod, garvin industries, teraflex, metalcloak, to name a few.

Wheels - do something unique, avoid the AEVs...great wheels, but too typical. I'd find some cool beadlocks with a unique ring.

River raider, synergy, and poison spyder all make good looking/functional cages.

Throw in some cool upholstery as you do for yours now, but keep it functional.

Warn is the only way with winches. Their new vr line is much more affordable than warn has been historically.

Congratulations, you just spent a small fortune

Edit: for a show vehicle - stick with 3.5-4" suspension and 37-38" tires, IMO.

EDIT2 - just saw the bang for your buck comment, lol. Hang on, I'm headed back to the drawing board...
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid Arm Flex System $1,200

37" Cooper Discoverer STTs (lots of bang for your buck here...)

Poison Spyder BFH with Brawler Bar front bumper Inexpensive at $375 and awesome, but you gotta cut 2" off your frame rails

Poison Spyder BFH Rear bumper $289 got cut the frame rails again

These two bumpers are aimed at maximum approach/departure angles, so you can justify ditching the spare, and save on the 5th wheel/tire

Warn vr8000 winch $480, but if you can budget it...Warn 9.5cti you can find these for around $1,050 retail

Teraflex Rock Sliders $620 Fit like a glove, and look damn good

Corners, flares, and skids will start to up the price pretty quickly, but Offroad Evolution and River Raider both make good stuff there...throw on lights/accessories at your discression

Obviously prices listed are all retail - not sure of your mfg. hookups, but I'll bet you can get some deals direct as a vendor/show truck
Unread 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

You'll need to regear for the 37s...5.13-5.38 for auto or 4.88-5.13 for manual
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #5
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

Dont forget a sticker that is along the lines of "FJ Recovery Team" or "Hook H2/3 here). Molshove is bang on!
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
scemracing
2012 JK Wrangler 

If they are 2012's you probably won't need that much gear 4.56 or 4.88 should be fine.

Me: I just really want to smack people!
My Wife: Is this the jeep forum?
Me: Yes!
My Wife: Just remember they aren't real people!
Me: I love you!
scemracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scemracing
If they are 2012's you probably won't need that much gear 4.56 or 4.88 should be fine.
Oh yeah, good call
Unread 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
SADISTIC
2011 JK Wrangler 

You stated in a previous thread that most of your customers are more about the look than functionality; so I assume that you are going a little more functional with this one. Molshove has some great suggestions but how capable are you wanting to go? Is this one going to be ready to hit hard rated trails or are you just looking to go with some more "accepted" bolt-ons or somewhere in-between?
I would throw some sort of a roof/cargo rack on, put some decent fogs/spots on, maybe some rock lights.
If it is a 2011 or earlier maybe a RIPP.
If it is going to be functional (really meant to be an offroader), on board air is always nice to have.

Just some ideas.
SADISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdood View Post
We coat these with a Kevlar liner already, so body armor and similar other adds probably aren't what we are looking for direction on... we need this to be something that will appeal to the hardcore Jeep set...
I guess it depends on the definition of "hardcore Jeep set".

Sadistic has some good points/questions in his post that would help narrow down what you are looking for.

Your post suggests that the Kevlar liner IS the body armor and I guess it is to a point. Not sure how well it would hold up or protect the rockers after coming down or scraping across a rock or two.

Personally, I would nix the Kevlar liner and mount up some rocker protection at a minimum.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^ Agree on the rocker armor. Drop the Rubi Armor Molshove said. I like the new JCR Stage 2 Sliders.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Sykd4MyWaggy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Molshove just nailed my tax return shopping spree.
35" Cooper Discoverer stt's & 3.5 RK Mid Arm Lift
Sykd4MyWaggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Your kevlar liner is cool, and would look really cool with the unlined rocker armor (maybe have it color powder coated to match whatever your accent color is?) - I agree that full body armor is not necessary for what you're doing, but bumpers and rockers are a must

I really really really like the Tera Rockers, and I also really like the rockers Brentf70 has...can't remember the manufacturer, but they're also form fitting boatsided aluminum
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Your kevlar liner is cool, and would look really cool with the unlined rocker armor (maybe have it color powder coated to match whatever your accent color is?) - I agree that full body armor is not necessary for what you're doing, but bumpers and rockers are a must

I really really really like the Tera Rockers, and I also really like the rockers Brentf70 has...can't remember the manufacturer, but they're also form fitting boatsided aluminum
He has the Nemesis rockers. Same kind of design as JCR. Except his have 6.4 Hemi lazered in
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nemesis - $730
JCR - $479
jk_2_door_billy_rocker_3_0.jpg   2d-stg2sliderspics1.jpg   jk_2_door_billy_rocker_6.jpg   jk_2_door_billy_rocker_8.jpg  
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #15
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

I still like Tera the best, partially cost, but mainly how they mount...

7 nutserts through the body and 3 bolts up through the bottom of the tub...no body mounts compromised, and as previously mentioned, fit like a glove.

Tags
advice , bar , lift , suggestions , winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.