Mixing gear brands - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mixing gear brands

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Reply
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
RWKHausSupply
Registered User
1990 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yorba Linda
Posts: 269
A regear here (what we charge but we are a few hundred to a grand less then most) is only 900$ plus the loaded carrier of 130 = 1030$ total drive in/out. Cant believe that its 2-3K more there?

Typical labor time is 4-5 hours.

RWKHausSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #17
jadmt
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: missoula, mt
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
2800 @ 75 Auto in Overdrive with stock Rubi 31s running 5.13 (shade under 3000 @80) ... not sure what the concern is... 75 is 3700 in 1:1 drive for passing. Very doable. From 4.10 to 4.56 is less than 500 RPM @70mph. Most people speed wander THAT much (if they're in front of me even more it seems) anyway.

I simply deplored the 31's with 4:10, my first impression was gutless under 2000 rpm... LOVE the zip of the 5.13s and 31s!!! I run 35s from late March to early november (trail ready) and 31's in winter (work vehicle). Negligible (<1) difference in hiway mpg... actually improves around town - less throttle to get moving.

Of course 90mph is a no go if downshift is needed to hold it... with either tire! (the 35 putbulls aren't happy over 70 anyway).
huge difference in 12-13 auto then in a pre 12 auto with 4.10 33" tires 70 2426rpm vs 2017 rpm in the older tranny. Plus the 3.6 has a enough zip to make that about the perfect combo for me. 31" at 70mph in a 12-13 would be 3230 rpm and running 70mph for me gets me rear ended.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
slmason72
Registered User
 
slmason72's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Woodstock, Georgia
Posts: 241
Sounds like you need to take a road trip to the states and have it done here.
slmason72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #19
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmason72 View Post
Sounds like you need to take a road trip to the states and have it done here.
Yah I think that would be a good idea. Can anybody think of a downside to going over the border to do a regear? I would worry if anything serious happened and I had to get it towed to Great Falls or something that would be painful but probably still cheaper than local haha.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
jadmt
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: missoula, mt
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerboy13 View Post
Yah I think that would be a good idea. Can anybody think of a downside to going over the border to do a regear? I would worry if anything serious happened and I had to get it towed to Great Falls or something that would be painful but probably still cheaper than local haha.
Not sure I would trust anyone in Greatfalls. I have been looking into having a regear and the shops I have talked too do not do enough of them to really know what they are doing. Ask how they are going to deal with the crush sleeve and they look at you like you have a 3rd eye. I'm sure there is some capable shops south of Lethbridge but I would do some research first.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #21
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post

Not sure I would trust anyone in Greatfalls. I have been looking into having a regear and the shops I have talked too do not do enough of them to really know what they are doing. Ask how they are going to deal with the crush sleeve and they look at you like you have a 3rd eye. I'm sure there is some capable shops south of Lethbridge but I would do some research first.
Yah I will do my research. I didnt want this to be this difficult. I am so bummed out.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?
 
JLC08JK's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 5,744
Maybe you should look into getting some Rubicon take-off axles. They will have 4.10 gears plus you will be upgrading to a D44 for the front and lockers on both.
Check with Northridge 4x4 and maybe they can point you towards a local shop that could hook you up. > http://www.northridge4x4.ca
Just a thought and I think you could come in pretty close to the prices you have been quoted.
__________________
Jim
Jim's Jeep; THE OBSESSION LIVES ON!
Jim's JK D44 Rear Axle Build

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Maybe you should look into getting some Rubicon take-off axles. They will have 4.10 gears plus you will be upgrading to a D44 for the front and lockers on both.
Check with Northridge 4x4 and maybe they can point you towards a local shop that could hook you up. > http://www.northridge4x4.ca
Just a thought and I think you could come in pretty close to the prices you have been quoted.
Yes great idea. Way more for the money. I dont know how to go about finding one but I think I'll start with Northridge and phone other shops to hopefully track some down. Thanks for the idea
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
thedirtman
Senior Member
 
thedirtman's Avatar
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 714
I have a set of non rubi 4.10 gears for a jk dana 30 front 44 rear. Used but in great shape $125
__________________
If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
thedirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I have a set of non rubi 4.10 gears for a jk dana 30 front 44 rear. Used but in great shape $125
PM sent sir
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
To anyone thats still watching this thread, do I need a minor or major install kit? I have 20,000 km on the jeep now so things shouldn't be even remotely worn out but I don't understand the difference between the kits so my km's may be irrelevant for all i know. Thanks!
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #27
wranglerboy13
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply View Post
A regear here (what we charge but we are a few hundred to a grand less then most) is only 900$ plus the loaded carrier of 130 = 1030$ total drive in/out. Cant believe that its 2-3K more there?

Typical labor time is 4-5 hours.
Where are you? Ill take a road trip for that price haha. Funny you say its 4-5 hours. I was quoted a "realistic" estimate of 17 hours. I don't even know if I could go jeepless for 3 work days. I think they are just tools, I am sure it isn't the most straight forward thing to do but 17 hours is ridiculous.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.