Mix-matched bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mix-matched bumpers

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mix-matched bumpers

I am looking at getting a full set of bumpers and rock rails. The problem is i like the front bumpers from some companies yet hate their rear bumpers and vi-versa. This would mean that i would have mix matched bumpers. Also the same goes for rock rails. Does anyone else have mix matched bumpers. Im thinking doing this would look janky.

toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

If they are all painted the same, chances are you'd be the only one to know they are from different companies.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29 View Post
I am looking at getting a full set of bumpers and rock rails. The problem is i like the front bumpers from some companies yet hate their rear bumpers and vi-versa. This would mean that i would have mix matched bumpers. Also the same goes for rock rails. Does anyone else have mix matched bumpers. Im thinking doing this would look janky.
As long as you're not going with a monstrous thing up front and a tube bumper for the rear, I don't think you'll run into too many designs that don't work together.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I don't really think it matters whether the front and rear bumpers are by the same company. Just as long as you like what you put on and they do what they are intended to do.

Many folks will purchase a rear (or front) only bumper and run like that for quite a while till they can afford the other. Nothing wrong with that at all either.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bumpers aren't like shoes and belts man. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

My front bumper is a simple piece of 3/16" steel with a 90 bend and my rear bumper is a piece of 2" x .25" wall DOM tubing anchored to the frame rails. Most would hardly consider either bumpers, especially compared to the goofy behemoths out there.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Bumpers aren't like shoes and belts man.

Had no idea these were supposed to match.

If your worried about it, just use the same pain on all three.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Taylode
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have mixed bumpers, albeit from the same manufacture just different styles. I think they go together well and most people don't know that they don't match.

2013 Jeep JKU Sahara
Taylode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a different brand for all three. I have a shorty front, midwidth rear and tubular slider steps. All three are a different brand but as mentioned above, I'm the only one who would ever know. They all three look good together so I didn't care what brand was stamped on them. Its not like you're buying two different lights to mount on the bumper, or different wheels. Get what you think looks good, they all function about the same.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
skullnbeer
2012 JK Wrangler 

Go with what you like.I have stock rear and a rugged ridge front.Might change in time but it works for now.
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

Matching the bumpers never really mattered to me,when i start my build i plan on getting the Lod front stubby with stinger but havent decided on rear,probibly will run stock setup on rear for a year or so and dont think it will look bad,looking at the smittybuilt rear but no real hurry for it gotta worry bout lift and tires 1st then front bumper then rear then rockers
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iíve never matched bumpers on any of my Jeeps and that goes as far back as 27 years. Never gave it a thought either. Pick which one you like and go with it, itís way better than living with one you donít care for.
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Bumpers aren't like shoes and belts man. You're making a big deal out of nothing.

My front bumper is a simple piece of 3/16" steel with a 90 bend and my rear bumper is a piece of 2" x .25" wall DOM tubing anchored to the frame rails. Most would hardly consider either bumpers, especially compared to the goofy behemoths out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
Had no idea these were supposed to match.

If your worried about it, just use the same pain on all three.
No Problems - just wear white socks to tie it all together and even that double breasted three piece will work!

I don't think anything will look strange if you get at least the same basic shape of bumper (like mentioned above a box on one end and bar on the other may look a bit off - but that's just character).
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Mine are mixed. The only problem I have is two different companies interpretation of "flat" black. Front is a little deeper color. I am probably the only person that notices it...
Unread 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

its not a car with a body kit, rarely does it look like a a front and a rear shouldn't go together. just my opinion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.