Mirror with doors off? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 55 Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 PM
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

DIY Doors-Off Mirrors

$11 for mirror at Pep Boys, and $2 for the hardware at my local hardware store...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

Considerable vibration, but I can see objects in the mirror, and it keeps me legal while my doors are off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
aldaman
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've been happy with my DieTech relocation bracket. It utilizes the OEM mirrors. They are vibration free and the passenger mirror is fully functional. I have heard of the other types where the use of the passenger mirror is useless....

post #48 of 55 Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM
pnk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Additional Questions

I live in Texas and have heard that driver side mirrors are required. How ever I have also heard tha tonly the rear view mirror is required. Has any one had any experince with the state and regulations?
post #49 of 55 Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks like you need both exterior mirrors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title 37, Part 1, Chapter 21, Rule 21.3
(4) Driver rear visibility requirement--To meet this requirement a motor vehicle must be equipped with outside mirrors on both the left and right sides of the vehicle that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=T&app=9&p_dir=N&p_rloc=1559 68&p_tloc=&p_ploc=1&pg=23&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=21& rl=1

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
post #50 of 55 Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
pnk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks dude. Have been looking for the regs but hadn't come up with much. Looks like I need to take a trip to the junk yard and pull some mirrors.
post #51 of 55 Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Keiff
2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I found this in the Texas Transportation Code:

Sec. 547.602. MIRRORS REQUIRED. A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

Seems to indicate that your rear-view mirror alone is sufficient in satisfying the requirements. I have no side mirrors and have driven side-by-side with police cars down the road on multiple occasions with no problems. However, I HATE not having side mirrors and plan to address this soon.
post #52 of 55 Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
GilNewJeeper
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer63 View Post
$11 for mirror at Pep Boys, and $2 for the hardware at my local hardware store...

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

Considerable vibration, but I can see objects in the mirror, and it keeps me legal while my doors are off.
X2, I did the same thing.

Did you Hug your Jeep today?
2008 Jeep Liberty
1994 Wrangler Sahara
post #53 of 55 Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM
carlson

2012 JK Wrangler 

These are the Rugged Ridge mirrors. They do whistle a bit and you really have to tighten them down so they don't move in the wind. The bracket can stay on year around.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/25699...7001&k=WNRmS9N

2012 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2.5 Max Travel Rock Krawler Lift
Bushwacker Flat Fenders
35" Goodyear Duratracs
post #54 of 55 Old 11-04-2016, 10:16 PM
jamnmon66

I had the same problem and I put a lot of effort in to finding what I think is the perfect solution. I finally figured it out 3 1/2 years ago and I'm still very happy with the result. Here's my writeup:

jkowners.com/forum/stock-jk-tech-dept/115434-my-mirror-saga-finally-happy.html

The problem is that the extension arms that I used aren't available anymore as far as I can tell. I bet you could copy what I did and use these relocation brackets instead of the ones I used and skip the extension arms:

extremeterrain.com/barricade-mirror-relocation-jk-j100756.html

Good luck!
post #55 of 55 Old 11-05-2016, 12:07 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes I know - 4 years old BUT it needs clarification for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Looks like you need both exterior mirrors:

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=T&app=9&p_dir=N&p_rloc=1559 68&p_tloc=&p_ploc=1&pg=23&p_tac=&ti=37&pt=1&ch=21& rl=1
That's out of context with the reading of the code... first that isn't the actual code - you've quoted a paraphrasing on what requirements must be met when windows are obstructed or tinted - as it applies to window tinting businesses and end users of vehicles with tinted windows.37.1.21.3(b)(4) applies ONLY when you either have no side or rear windows, like a panel van, (or are limousine tinted). In other words - if the back and side quarters are obscured with either tint below 70%, curtains, panels or other privacy shields - you must have side mirrors. With side mirrors we can go 70% on front sides and limo black on rear sides and back. Without side mirrors 70% all the way around. The JK is a passenger vehicle - windshield mount mirror meets state code (properly detailed by Keiif) - especially when doors are off - as you do not have obstruction from window tint/privacy shields! I do run RR side mirrors - I like visibility - AND a wide angle windshield mirror. A 35" spare gets awful close to 50% reduction (37.1.21.3(d)(2)) - although not louvers per se - ANY obstruction could create an alleging of obscured vision and thus a hassle with a cop! I always know at any moment if the lane next to me is available for evasive maneuver - every mirror check is a two step - look twice to not only know where someones at - but if they are gaining - predictive location. That way I don't HAVE to check first (but always do) if I have to saw a lane over dodging the tire tread laying in the road.

(4) Rear (back) windows for passenger, bus, van, club wagon, motor home, truck and truck tractor, and multipurpose vehicles.

(A) If the vehicle has left and right outside mirrors that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle, there is no minimum light transmission requirement.

(B) If the vehicle is not equipped with both a left and right side outside mirrors that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle, the rear window must have a 25% light transmission value for the area used for driver visibility value. A glazing shade band is authorized at the topmost portion of the rear window, as with the windshield. The shade band area is authorized to have less than 25% light transmission. The device must have a luminous reflectance of 25% or less.
______
(d) Window covers and other window privacy devices.

(1) The use of curtains, blinds, drapes, or stick-on novelty designs in the rear window or windows is not prohibited if the window(s) are not required for driver rear visibility.

(2) Louvered materials, when installed as designed, shall not reduce the area of driver rear visibility below 50% as measured on a horizontal plane. When such materials are used in conjunction with the rear window, the measurement shall be made based upon the driver's view from the inside rearview mirror.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.