Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch Install photos! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch Install photos!

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Hydraulic winches are pretty much indistructable. That is why the military uses them The weak link is the pump but with slight upgrades, you wont ever have a problem. Use synthetic fluid,(doesn't boil as easy) and add an external filter (this will help cool the pump).

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #17
dugn8r
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is there a certain kind of synthetic fluid you reccomend? I thought about the idea of an external filter, but I wasn't sure if they made them. Thanks!
dugn8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

You can get a generic kit. Comes with regular h8 (ford) filter and adapter. Mounts in line on the LP line. Myself and friends use valvoline synthetic fluid. It really does make a diffeence. Turning your wheels completely to one side and holding it for any length of time (15 seconds) can raise the temp by 50 degrees.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
Creases
2008 JK Wrangler 

MileMarker Reverse Mount Photos

Thank for the great info. I was able to use your hose routing info. Here is an example of a reverse mount due to off set fairlead on shrockworks bumper. Had to spin the motor 180 degs. Also replaced the controller conector and wire with a standard 4 pin trailer connector. Original conector was junk broke on second use. Relocated the conector to the side very accessable. Also to make operation of the valves a simple task I color coded the High and Low sides. Keep a small labled photo copy in the glove box for each position, the last slide shows the locked position, remember it is backwords due to the reverse mount.
reverse-mount-offset-fairlead-.jpg   winch-wiring-1a.jpg   winch-remote-controller.jpg   locka.jpg  
Creases is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #20
MudHoundJK
Still Playing in the Mud

1997 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone stalled thier hydrulics out yet on thier Jks
MudHoundJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #21
blizazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creases View Post
Thank for the great info. I was able to use your hose routing info. Here is an example of a reverse mount due to off set fairlead on shrockworks bumper. Had to spin the motor 180 degs. Also replaced the controller conector and wire with a standard 4 pin trailer connector. Original conector was junk broke on second use. Relocated the conector to the side very accessable. Also to make operation of the valves a simple task I color coded the High and Low sides. Keep a small labled photo copy in the glove box for each position, the last slide shows the locked position, remember it is backwords due to the reverse mount.

Where can I find T control handles like those?
blizazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
chuck45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
When your stock pump over heats, tell me the same thing. it is always a good idea for a hydraulic winch to upgrade the pump and put a cooler in line. Stock pumps overheat all the time even just rock crawling. we put coolers in line all the time.
What kind of cooler do you like to use?
08 JK Unlimited Rubi, Auto, 5.13 gears, RE 3.5" SF lift w Bilstin shocks, BFG 35" KM2's, AEV Pintlers, Alloy USA CM front axles w CTM Ujoints, Superior CM rear axles, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, RockHard Front Bumper w Warn PP w 3/8 syn rope, RockHard rear bumper and tire carrier, RockHard rocker guards and skid plates, ARB diff covers, ORE C gussets and LCA skids, Tuffy Drawer, Cobra 75, Cibie headlights, Hella 4000 Rally lights, 60" HiLift, PullPal winch anchor, Engle 45 Fridge.
chuck45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #23
nycrd
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudHoundJK View Post
has anyone stalled thier hydrulics out yet on thier Jks

I just finished the install on mine, putting it on the MOPAR off road bumper, which required a little drilling and grinding to fit it. I have stalled it pulling some logs up a hill, but now I know its limits.
As for the electric vs. hydraulic debate, for the type of use I will be giving it, recreational logging for firewood and trail maintenance, the hydraulic winch made more sense. For off road, self recovery I would have gone with the electric. The hydraulic is slow and the supplied steel cable is a pain, tough to keep wound tight. Iím planning on changing to the Amsteel Blue winch line as soon as the funds become available.
nycrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #24
NickSully
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about the zombie thread but I have a few questions for any one with a Hydraulic winch and a JK:

1. Did you ever have a problem with your steering pump? Did the pump ever over heat?

2. How do you like Mile Marker? I was looking at their winches and they seem to be well made but have you had any problems with the winch itself?

Thanks everyone
NickSully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

one good thing about hydraulics is they can always be rebuilt. I would also like to know if anyone has had a problem with the steering pump.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít think anyone plans to roll their Jeep but it can as does happen. You can also be crossing water and stall your engine, again not planned but it does happen. For those reasons alone I would never consider a hydraulic winch. Electric winches have been around for many years and are quite reliable these days. At least as far as the major brands go. Of course there is always the exception including the hydraulic ones.

The best set-up for the electric winch would be to have a dual battery arrangement. The next best thing would be to replace the stock battery with a blue or yellow top Optima.

Make mine an electric please.
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #27
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

I can see a use for hydraulic winches ..... for me I went electric with a blue top Optima .......... no regrets . If I was using it all the time for extended pulls or to work I might have gone with hydraulic ...... both have their place .
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #28
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSully View Post
Sorry about the zombie thread but I have a few questions for any one with a Hydraulic winch and a JK:

1. Did you ever have a problem with your steering pump? Did the pump ever over heat?
2. How do you like Mile Marker? I was looking at their winches and they seem to be well made but have you had any problems with the winch itself?

Thanks everyone
I overheat my ps circuit just plain wheeling, using only the power steering in 100* Bama weather.

A cooler is a must for me, especially when I get one of these winches.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #29
NickSully
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymanusa View Post
I overheat my ps circuit just plain wheeling, using only the power steering in 100* Bama weather.

A cooler is a must for me, especially when I get one of these winches.
Which coolers are you using? I will go ahead and add one when I add the winch.

NickSully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #30
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSully View Post
Which coolers are you using? I will go ahead and add one when I add the winch.

Ill be using a stacked plate.cooler.from summit racing with an electricfan. Ill post a link later tonight. JIC pushlock fittigs and hose and redline synthetic fluid.
anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
hydraulic , install , JK Wrangler , winch , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.