Mild lift Al a Carte - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mild lift Al a Carte

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mild lift Al a Carte

Hello all. There are a lot of opinions on this board regarding lift kits in the 2-3" range. Aev lovers and haters, many Rockrawler lovers with much less haters(it seems) and others satisfied with the budget lifts of many different brands with some getting higher than other praise.

It seems the guys looking for very serious trail rigs go with a few parts from one company, then add some individual parts from many different companies, Currie, JKS, and others being the most popular I believe as far as suspension. Obviously many other parts(non-suspension) and companies involved in these builds.

I own a 2012 Rubi unlimited that is a daily driver and limited trail use. I'm an avid fly fisher and trail riding will mostly be limited to getting to fishing in Northern Utah(Uintas mostly and western Wyoming). My garage in Utah(my second home that the Jeep is at in the summer) is a bit lower than typical, 79"-80" so I need to keep it minimal as I'm already 73" I believe with stock Rubi and run 33" Duratrac. I would however like to increase my trail use and gain experience.

When I lift my rig I'd like to keep it in that 2-3" range. I'd be happy with 33"s but maybe go 35"s next tire change. As far as fenders, cutting my stock ones now, the only rubbing with my 33"s is rear with high speed bumps and loaded, I run spacers with no full turn rub with stock tires. Long story, now short what would you run?:

1. Springs?

2. Shocks?. Being a sports car guy as well, Bilsteins can't be beat I've felt, but don't feel the love here for them necessarily for tis application. Not looking to spend too much over $100 per, however. What about Rancho?

3. front and Rear upper control arms

4. Front Track bar and accessories

5. Other accessories and needs?

Planning an aftermarket exhaust as well, do I need to decide on this concurrently to avoid issues?

Jeff

JASJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

check out the Rock Krawler 2.5 lifts they come with just about all you need to have a well mannered truck on the highway, I have a 2.5 lift from RK with Bilstiens 5100's they were less then $100 per shock around $80 I am happy with the lift, Jason at Krawl offroad hooked me up with a good deal for all the parts I got to lift the Jeep
l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
MrZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did the make-your-own lift. Here is what I did. Rides just as good if not better than stock.

1) OME HD 2" Springs (netted about 3.25")

2) Bilstein 5100's. They get a lot of good press for a reason. Now that I have had them on for about 4k miles they are much softer than when they were first put on. I love them

3) Im running Clayton lca's right now. Plan on replacing the other six with Clayton as well. These arms are beefy and flex great.

4) Running JKS rear trackbar, front one hit the diff without atleast 2.5" of bumpstop. So im looking for a new front trackbar.

5) You should plan on adding longer brake lines. The rear are really short and will not like you if you wheel it with a lift and stock lines. you will also need to measure for bumpstops. That will have to be done when you put the lift on to get the best results.

Here is a writeup I did that goes over most of this and what decisions with my lift I made. As well as problems that I faced.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...arned-1513528/

Good luck. The best thing you can do is spend a long time researching. It took me almost 2 months before I ordered anything. And even then it still did not all work right.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Pfffft... Just buy a Teraflex 2.5" BB with spidertrax spacers and you're done. Complete kit. Done. 33" duratracs? Great! They'll fit just fine. Absolutely no need to ever chop fenders for that.

Keep the same handing characteristics, decent construction and honest warranty (simplicity wins).

If you can tell the difference between bilsteins & Rancho on a Jeep Jk, my hats off to you. It's a twin live axle box. Not a Ferrari.

Lastly, aftermarket exhaust? Does the jk not sound right to you or is this some type of "magic added horsepower" thing?

Not being belligerent, simply being honestly curious.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #5
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

<Sarcasm>OMFG, what is this craziness!!!!! Everyone knows you can't mix and match parts from different companies!!!! It's idiotic, it's illogical!!!!</sarcasm>
Seriously OP, the RK Stock Mod is a great entry level kit for someone looking for a building base. Have it on one of my Jeeps with 33" Duratracs. As far as shocks I have Bilsteins matched with the RK lift, most people love them, but I like the OME and Rancho 9000s better.
As for exhaust, grab the Teraflex spacer kit. Very simple install and great piece of mind for lifts under 3.5". After you lift it, search for the Teraflex video on moving the evap canister over an inch or so to protect the rear driveshaft....and have fun.
Lastly, if you like fishing and exploring, head up north a bit. Outside the NE gate of Yellowstone there are dozens of small alpine lakes full of incredible fish. I spend a lot of time up there during the summer. Hit me up if you want a scanned copy of my map of the area. I have some really nice trails highlighted.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Since you've already considered currie id throw rock krawler by the wayside and do it right.

That said, since you only want 33s. I'd leave your jeep alone entirely, and at the very most a budget boost that uses spacers and includes new gas charged shocks. The teraflex is a nice kit.

That will allow you to grow into your jeeps uses and modify it as you see fit to handle the tasks you want it to complete.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
That said, since you only want 33s. I'd leave your jeep alone entirely, and at the very most a budget boost that uses spacers and includes new gas charged shocks. The teraflex is a nice kit.

That will allow you to grow into your jeeps uses and modify it as you see fit to handle the tasks you want it to complete.

This is by far the best logic for anyone interested in a JK with ideas of modding it.

Since sept 2006, many of us JK owners have had much success with a complete TeraFlex BB kit. Since youve indicated 33's, just use it and then, after you've owned the Jeep for a while and really put it through its paces, at that point decide what mods are needed to fit your style of use.

I am an avid back country fly fishing guy as well. Most of my JKu usage is backcountry way the hell out in BFE (Oregon/Washington/ID/N Cal). I want a vehicle I can trust first and foremost. Reliability and simplicity reigns supreme. I want decent gas mileage and availability of tires should I have a major shred or two. A stock Moab 17" rim And 33" rubber is a perfect setup for overland/ field use for me. Availability... There is no reason for me to have 37" mudders when I have to drive 500 miles to get where I am going. Not to mention, they don't sell 37" tires in a dinky town in the middle of nowhere.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
JASJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I may decide to go 35s in the future only problem is getting into the garage if I do that with a lift, will be tight.

Since I'm rubbing when loaded over bumps in the rear I guess another solution is bumpstops there, shouldn't need more than one inch, maybe two.

As far as cutting the fenders, wouldn't I need that if fully or nearly fully flexed up front to not rub significantly? I've got spacers, 1.5" I think, whatever was recommended with 33s.

Exhaust. I hate the tinny sound of the exhaust, that's my beef with it. Considering Banks, Magnaflow or other. Don't want to buy one I have to scrap if do a lift in future, however
JASJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm on 2" of lift with 37s you'll be fine.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I'm on 2" of lift with 37s you'll be fine.
Same here. RK 2.5" Max Travel and 37's with flat fenders. Raised the JK height about 5" (tires and lift). I can still drive into the garage (75" garage door?) with plenty of room.

As for Bilsteins...if you live near the coast...they will rust.
Fox 2.0 shocks are aluminum, no rust. But will run you about $120/each.

Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road, he'll hook you up with plenty of good ideas.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.