Might be an old question but thought I would ask. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Might be an old question but thought I would ask.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
bdhinkson
2010 JK Wrangler 

Might be an old question but thought I would ask.

So I am brand new to the forum and to the Jeep life. Just bought a 2010 JKU and was curious what ya'lls thoughts were on upgrading the air intake and exhaust. Searching through it looks like these mods seem to be a waste, so I wanted to know if my money was better spent somewhere else.

Thanks!

bdhinkson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

For the most part - unless you change compression ratio, Cam profile/timing, valve size, cylinder head port shape/size, intake runner shape/size, ignition timing and fuel curve (last two controlled by computer algorithms) all of which determine the engines volumetric efficiency - changing intake and exhaust has negligible effect over the entire torque curve. It may have an effect to say the amount of torque at 3100 is increased but the amount at 2800 is decreased - no real gain and no way to measure it - seat of pants is NOT reliable because other senses (sound smell etc) effect your opinion (sounds faster and smells leaner so must be right?).

AND we drive at 1100 to 3500 - that range works best with small diameter (thus higher air velocity) intake. Increasing the size of the intake has the same volume of air moving much slower - less effective at lower RPMs. Just compare a 360 magnum head to a 360 head - the magnum makes more torque sooner than the 360 - and the ports are noticeably different!

If you have a 1/2 pipe supply a faucet with a 3/4 inch hose attached - would you get more flow by hooking a 1" hose to it? NO - same gallon per hour, as the faucet (just like the compression ratio, cam profile/timing, port shape and volume) is the limiting factor.
Unread 07-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
bdhinkson
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the detailed response! Having used those items in the past on other vehicles, I thought I would ask. Looks like I will be using those funds towards towards better off-road experience. Thanks again!
bdhinkson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
For the most part - unless you change compression ratio, Cam profile/timing, valve size, cylinder head port shape/size, intake runner shape/size, ignition timing and fuel curve (last two controlled by computer algorithms) all of which determine the engines volumetric efficiency - changing intake and exhaust has negligible effect over the entire torque curve. It may have an effect to say the amount of torque at 3100 is increased but the amount at 2800 is decreased - no real gain and no way to measure it - seat of pants is NOT reliable because other senses (sound smell etc) effect your opinion (sounds faster and smells leaner so must be right?).

AND we drive at 1100 to 3500 - that range works best with small diameter (thus higher air velocity) intake. Increasing the size of the intake has the same volume of air moving much slower - less effective at lower RPMs. Just compare a 360 magnum head to a 360 head - the magnum makes more torque sooner than the 360 - and the ports are noticeably different!

If you have a 1/2 pipe supply a faucet with a 3/4 inch hose attached - would you get more flow by hooking a 1" hose to it? NO - same gallon per hour, as the faucet (just like the compression ratio, cam profile/timing, port shape and volume) is the limiting factor.
In other words....NO!
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
In other words....NO!
Exactly.. *L* However there is nothing wrong with ditching the oversized stock muffler for something smaller and adding a snorkel.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/blues-jeep-build-lots-pictures-1509366/[/url]
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust , intake , mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.