Might be getting a JK this weekend. Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Might be getting a JK this weekend. Advice?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
jeffself
2010 JK Wrangler 

Might be getting a JK this weekend. Advice?

Going to the dealer on sunday to look at some Wranglers and we know how that usually turns out. I really want a Rubicon because it's got the different 4WD system and the heavy duty axles. My wife and I really like the look of the Mountain however. Would we be "settling" if we went that route? Should we really stick to our guns and hold out for the rubicon? They seem to be in short supply in our area. Can't find a single 4-dr in the area.

Any options that are a must have? We're really looking forward to owning a Wrangler. We started eyeing them back in 1996 when we were dating. Looking forward to trips to the Outer Banks with it.

jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

It really depends on what you do with it.

There are some die hard Rubicon lovers here, who will accept nothing else.

There are guys like me who started out thinking the Jeep would just be a forest road, backwoods cruising vehicle with not much off roading.

If you are just making trips to the beach, you don't need a Rubicon. If you even think you'll off road with it, and have the money to buy a Rubicon, get it. Honestly though, I wouldn't consider a regular X a "settling" rig if it's all you can get. A stock X is still more than capable.

I am not sure what the mountain edition has besides the stylish trim, colored rims, etc... But regardless of what you buy, do not get the JK with the 3.21 gears. More than likely you aren't going to be satisfied.

Also, I'm sure you know it already, but make sure you get a soft top.

I could go on longer, but hopefully this helps. Don't rush into it, and make sure you get what you want.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
jeffself
2010 JK Wrangler 

Why do I want the soft top and not the hard top? Should I be looking for the dual top? Sounds like I need to make sur to get the 3.73 Gears. That comes as part of the tow package. I'll be sure to look for that. Looks like I need the sahara if I want the dual top. What about the trac-lok limited slip? Is that a must have?
jeffself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mountain and Island editions are a total waste of money.
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't get the factory LSD; it's weak and not suited for offroad.

Like they said, if you're not looking to spend upgrade dollars later and think you'll be hitting anything more severe than forest service roads, get a Rubicon. I have a Sahara and should've gotten the Rubi.
Granted, many of the mods I made would've been done to the Rubi as well ---- bumpers, gears, winch, cb, armrests. But I would've had lockers, disco, & a d44 up front from the getgo.

As for the soft top, to each their own. I have a hard top and have only had the entire thing off once. Too cold here in the winter and too many black widows in the forest in the summer.
The air conditioner works great, btw.

This is what my Sahara looks like after getting the wheeling bug. I expect that a Mountain Edition would morph in a similar vein:

And this is the ARB Sahara; they've put quite a bit more into theirs.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cool thing about the Rubi is the D44 front and rear axle's and the 4.10 gears along with a better transfer case and that cool sticker on the hood... That being said, I have a Sport with the 3.73's and I am more than satisfied... Do I wish I had a rubi? yeah... Do I wish I had 4.10's and D44 front and rear? Yeah... But I also wish I was running full width axles and 40 inch tires with a full roll cage and all the goodies, and one day I will get there... But right now I could afford the X and I knew I was going aftermarket as far as wheels and tires and a lift went so I did not see the since in spending more money on the rubi with the nice wheels and tires when I was going to replace em and the sport was capable enough to run the tires that I wanted to at this time... Moral of the story, If I could have a 60K dollar rig I would, but I cant, and Im plenty happy with my rig just like it is... Just remember what Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.... You're already on here and you dont even have the Jeep yet, I can gurantee you that you WILL mod it, and probably more than you plan on now.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Some X Models come with the dual top group. Ask for it.

The only reason I mentioned soft top is you talked about heading to the coast a lot. Soft top is way easier to fold back and get out of the way when you want to be topless on the beach. I have pulled my hard top off before while on vacation, so it's doable.

Just got the impression that you might be doing a lot of warm weather cruising.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Geeper4x4
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hello, my name is Ed and I'm a modaholic...

It's a dark strange world you are stepping into!

I try to keep lookin up though.

It could happen to you! Love in it.
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
walley
2009 JK Wrangler 

In my opinion, if you are going to buy a wrangler you should wait a few months and get the 2011. They are supposed to be putting in a new engine which will give about 290 Horsepower and 260 Torque compared to 202/237. You'll get better gas mileage and will be able to maintain speed on the highway in the higher gears
walley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you are thinking about a Rubi now then don't settle. Get what you want the first time.
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffself View Post
Going to the dealer on sunday to look at some Wranglers and we know how that usually turns out. I really want a Rubicon because it's got the different 4WD system and the heavy duty axles. My wife and I really like the look of the Mountain however. Would we be "settling" if we went that route? Should we really stick to our guns and hold out for the rubicon? They seem to be in short supply in our area. Can't find a single 4-dr in the area.

Any options that are a must have? We're really looking forward to owning a Wrangler. We started eyeing them back in 1996 when we were dating. Looking forward to trips to the Outer Banks with it.
Don't waste your money on the "Mountain" package. It is all for appearance except the KM2 tires. If you are planning on lifting and going with larger tires, that would be a total waste. You can mod up your Jeep yourself to get it to look the way you want, for a lot less money.
Unread 05-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #12
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've got a 4-dr Rubi, no regrets. Hiway handling is superb compared to my TJL-Rubi. If you want the Rubi get it or you'll regret it. If you're thinking of soft-top only, you'll save some money. I have soft-tops only on my Jeeps. The Sunrider feature is great. I drove my TJ 8,000 miles in the blizzard of 06/07 and the soft-top did great, dry and warm inside and then put the top down in Florida. The JK's soft-top is similar, plan on the first 10 times dealing with the top to be a PITA, after that it'll be second nature. Get the locking gas cap and wheel locks when you buy it, mine didn't come with them, it's easier to get them from the git' go. Good choice.

Tags
newbie , rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.