Mesh Radiator Guard - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Radiator Guard

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
bsteeves86
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mesh Radiator Guard

I have seen these things advertised on many different sites for around $50, and am still wondering what the purpose of it is and it it is useful at all has anyone tried creating their own?

bsteeves86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
versoel
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just put a winch in front of your grill.
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
bsteeves86
2009 JK Wrangler 

If I had the extra money laying around I would certainly purchase a winch, however, that will have to wait a while as I spent most of my money on my new Jeep Do you think its worthwhile to make my own mesh guard to keep debri, mud, etc. out of the radiator?
bsteeves86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
goldsmith17
2008 JK Wrangler 

here's one from someone else on the forum. I though it looked pretty good and have been meaning to try it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ight=grill+mod
goldsmith17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

I did that mod, and love the hell out of it, before I had rocks hitting the radiator not anymore =)

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just cut a piece of screen I had lying around, dropped it in back of the grill. It blocks bugs and small rocks, and is invisible.
It was free. If you had to buy some screen, it's pretty cheap.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
RabidUmpaLumpa
2007 JK Wrangler 

I myself am about to do that same mod. I am gonna have my entire front grill sprayed down with line-x and I'm gonna have them spray the mesh part as well. I bought my mesh from Lowes sold as a gutter guard to prevent leaves and debris from clogging up the gutter. Its cheap, like $1.97 per sheet and I bought three.

ETA: BTW I have heard that the sticker that is used for those zip tie holders do not hold very well over time....I am gonna remove the sticker and use gorilla glue instead
RabidUmpaLumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
Mr.Unlimited
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidUmpaLumpa View Post
I myself am about to do that same mod. I am gonna have my entire front grill sprayed down with line-x and I'm gonna have them spray the mesh part as well. I bought my mesh from Lowes sold as a gutter guard to prevent leaves and debris from clogging up the gutter. Its cheap, like $1.97 per sheet and I bought three.

ETA: BTW I have heard that the sticker that is used for those zip tie holders do not hold very well over time....I am gonna remove the sticker and use gorilla glue instead
We call them sticky backs. They do stick rather well. I would buy the largest that fit. We use them to tie down small wires in panels to keep things neat. It usually takes alot to pry them off the surface.

2008 SAHARA Jeep Wrangler 4dr Unlimited (JK),
RedRock Pearl,18 inch Rims,Side Airbags
Infinity Sound System/SubWoofer
Hard & Soft Top
Mr.Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
TJCoffield
2012 JK Wrangler 

Did this DIY mod today. It protects the radiator and looks cool. Cost about $20 at Lowes and an hour. I was extremely surprised at how easy it was to remove the front grill.

2000 Jeep TJ 4.0 l6 (manual) (Forest Green)
2012 Jeep JK 3.6 V6 (manual) (Bright White)
TJCoffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
kik

They do work and most look great. It keeps a lot of unwanted stuff ranging from bugs, rocks, leaves, etc. from entering that area and coming into contact with the radiator. They range from $20 DIY to probably the best and most well made one out there which is Metalcrafters, which is molded one piece stainless steel and powder coated. That one will set you back almost 3 hundred. Just like anything else, other than DIY, you get what you pay for.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Deezz22
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i did this a few weeks back and love it.

Uploaded at Picoodle.com
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...serts-1415494/

That's my write up if anybody interested
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I did this to protect my intercooler. Like above, about $20 from Home Depot and an hour of my time. Looks great, and very effective.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.