Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics!

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 01-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #106
Arebee
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did my grille today. I used the mesh from an unused A/C filter, cut it to size, primed and painted it with bed liner and zipped it in. Used Gorilla Glue as added insurance on the tie downs and it worked well.

grille.jpg  
Arebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #107
ericridebike
2011 JK Wrangler 

Started mine today with the metal gutter guards I found at Home Depot. Ended up painting with Alumahyde II coating in flat black that I had left over from refinishing a shotgun. Just waiting for it to dry so I can put them on. I just used the adhesive that came on the tie down tabs, seem sturdy, but now thinking about adding the Gorilla Glue too. For you guys that used it, did you take off the adhesive that was on the mounts first?

Thanks,
Eric
ericridebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #108
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericridebike View Post
Started mine today with the metal gutter guards I found at Home Depot. Ended up painting with Alumahyde II coating in flat black that I had left over from refinishing a shotgun. Just waiting for it to dry so I can put them on. I just used the adhesive that came on the tie down tabs, seem sturdy, but now thinking about adding the Gorilla Glue too. For you guys that used it, did you take off the adhesive that was on the mounts first?

Thanks,
Eric
I did the same when I first intalled it, but after having to replace several of them once, I bit the bullet removed all of the tabs and super glued them all down. No problems since.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #109
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks,
Eric
I stuck the tabs down with the adhesive and then poored "Amazing Goop" over them . ( It's probably the same stuff as gorilla glue ) It's some amazingly sticky stuff and stays rubbery and stuck forever.
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #110
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks,
Eric

I removed all the adhesive and glued them on with Locktite Gel glue. It was easier to remove it then I thought. I didn't use a razor or anything. just rolled it off with thumb. Got my 2 boys to help and we made a race out of it. That was just a sneeky way to get them to help me. Worked great. 2 months later still looking good. We went to colorado and I was afraid the cold temps might make the glue brittle and break loose but so far everything is still in place.
grill-2.jpg  

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Deep Cherry Red, 2.5" Lift, American Racing ATX Thug Wheels, 35x12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
MEYJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #111
MisterO

anyone do this on a TJ yet?? im really liking the idea but the TJ grill is a bit more complex when it comes to removing it..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #112
jdog1065
2010 JK Wrangler 

MEYJR, I bought the locktite glue Tuesday and the mounting bases yesterday. Peeled the doubled sided tape off last night and will probably do the mod next week. I'm glad to hear your setup has worked well so far.

Has anyone doubled up on the mesh? I was thinking about doing that to make the "screen" stronger, but I'm not sure how it would look.

jdog1065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #113
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think that doubling the mesh would make it very hard to clean and may block to much air flow. Little twigs and things would get stuck between the layers.
Maybe you could find a stronger mesh.
Let us know how it goes

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #114
jdog1065
2010 JK Wrangler 

If I can get the pieces of mesh to line up perfectly (directly on top of each other - I may zip tie them together) then the air flow shouldn't be restricted, but if they won't play nice together, then I won't do it. That's what's so great about doing your own mods......you get to do it your way and can usually undo it if you don't like it.

I'll play around with it next week and post the outcome.

Unread 01-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #115
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog1065 View Post
MEYJR, I bought the locktite glue Tuesday and the mounting bases yesterday. Peeled the doubled sided tape off last night and will probably do the mod next week. I'm glad to hear your setup has worked well so far.

Has anyone doubled up on the mesh? I was thinking about doing that to make the "screen" stronger, but I'm not sure how it would look.

I used the metal gutter screen and it seems plenty strong. I think if something big and heavy hit it like a rock or bird the fasteners would come loose before the screen broke. It may bend but I bet it could be bent back out. plus i put my screen on so that the pre shaped curve curves to the inside so I don't think it will even bend in if something does hit it.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Deep Cherry Red, 2.5" Lift, American Racing ATX Thug Wheels, 35x12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #116
jdog1065
2010 JK Wrangler 

So my options are, use the metal gutter guard and paint it (minor pita) or the plastic one and not paint it (easier). The metal one will be stronger, but probably a little harder to work with (cut). The plastic one won't be as strong, unless I can double it up(more time consuming), but should be easier to work with......

Great, now I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis and may never get this mod done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal mod vs. plastic mod....that's me in the middle.
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #117
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So my options are, use the metal gutter guard and paint it (minor pita) or the plastic one and not paint it (easier). The metal one will be stronger, but probably a little harder to work with (cut). The plastic one won't be as strong, unless I can double it up(more time consuming), but should be easier to work with......

Great, now I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis and may never get this mod done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal mod vs. plastic mod....that's me in the middle.
Thats the exact conversation I had with myself in Home Depot for about half an hour until my wife finallly said "DECIDE AND LETS GO!" I went with the metal figuring I rather it be more difficult the first time and last longer. And it ended up not being very difficult at all. The hardest part was being patient waiting for the paint and glue to dry. I did invest in a $8 pair of cutters to cut it with. WORTH IT!!! Cuting it any other way would be difficult. And beware it is sharp after you cut it. I did loose a little blood but after the first couple I figured it out and the rest went really easy. I feel the metal was worth the extra effort. I also feel like the metal may be easier to attach. Once cut it fits perfect and no worry about getting it flat and pulled or any of that. set it in place and tie it down. Very easy.

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #118
jdog1065
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's AWESOME!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who does this.........oh, and I can hear my wife saying the exact same thing.

$8 for cutters......hummmm this mod is getting more and more out of reach!! Just kidding, I think I'm going to try the plastic since I already have everything and if I don't like it then I'll go mental, I mean metal!! I think.....maybe.....crap, now I'm not sure...
Unread 01-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #119
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
That's AWESOME!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who does this.........oh, and I can hear my wife saying the exact same thing.

$8 for cutters......hummmm this mod is getting more and more out of reach!! Just kidding, I think I'm going to try the plastic since I already have everything and if I don't like it then I'll go mental, I mean metal!! I think.....maybe.....crap, now I'm not sure...

Probably can't go wrong either way. It has been done both ways and I have seen no negatives on either.

Unread 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #120
ericridebike
2011 JK Wrangler 

I used the metal and ended up cutting it with just standard wire cutters. The metal was pretty soft and cut easily with them. Slow but did the trick. Since I initially mounted the tabs with the adhesive, I used Gorilla Glue around the edges of the mounts. Time will tell how it holds up that way. I tried removing one and scraping the adhesive pad off and just using glue, but too much hassle for my patience level. Was tough enough waiting on the painted grills to dry before installing them, much less having to wait again for a bunch of glue to dry. Love the mod! Cheap and easy to do and the results are really top notch. Can't imagine that it could look any better if I had purchased it.
ericridebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.