Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #61
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Connar I'm going be doing this to my 1998 XJ soon. I know I have to cut out the original spacer/fins in between the grill slots and want to figure out what to use without hacking up the grill. I have a pencil grinder with small cutoff disk but no air compressor

grovesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #62
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can anyone tell me where the bases are in Lowes/home depot. I can't seem to find them on their website or Commercial Electrics website. I'm not sure what the name of the part is.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #63
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesb2 View Post
Can anyone tell me where the bases are in Lowes/home depot. I can't seem to find them on their website or Commercial Electrics website. I'm not sure what the name of the part is.
Here you go
Catamount® 1 In. x 1 In. 100-Pack Mounting Bases For Cable Ties, Natural - 10100C at The Home Depot

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #64
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you JLC08JK, heading to lowes or home depot now.
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #65
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you JLC08JK, heading to lowes or home depot now.
Be sure you read my post on this issue..
Otherwise you might end up doing it twice....
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #66
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I read your OP, I planned on using the gel super glue or epoxy. Aluminum mesh painted black. I still have to see if I have to modify the grill since this is for my XJ

Last edited by grovesb2; 03-16-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #67
Seanie
2007 JK Wrangler 

Heading to Lowes now! Do you need a screwdriver to take out the marker lights??
Seanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #68
Seanie
2007 JK Wrangler 

All done! Took me about an hour to get the mesh on. The little "screws" that held the grille in are a pain in the butt to get out. Only two of them unscrewed, the other ones I had to pry off w/ a screwdriver...

Also, FYI, Home depot didn't have the plastic mesh. All they had was the metal. I might end up remaking this in metal later this summer, because the plastic seems really weak like it'll break if something hits it, like a branch or a rock or something. I'll find out thought!

GREAT MOD, and THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

Last edited by Seanie; 03-13-2010 at 06:52 PM..
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #69
grovesb2
1998 XJ Cherokee 

did u use the metal or the plastic mesh? I went to lowes and found the anchors but the gutter gaurd they had were like long strips that were prebent and really skinny. I have to check home depot. So didn't get to finish today.
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #70
Seanie
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
did u use the metal or the plastic mesh? I went to lowes and found the anchors but the gutter gaurd they had were like long strips that were prebent and really skinny. I have to check home depot. So didn't get to finish today.
I used the plastic mesh that I got at Lowe's. Home depot didn't have it, all they had was the metal prebent stuff.
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #71
ak67sd
2008 JK Wrangler 

After seeing this thread, i went out to the garage and found some 1/2" mesh (it will be heavier duty than plastic gutter guard, imo)... it comes in a large roll, so i was able to use one peice to cover the grille. I painted it flat black (it came galvanized). The grille was realle easy to pop off... took maybe a minute, all I did was give each plastic screw a few turns then pulled them out by hand, then the grille pops out at the bottom, unplug the two park lights and you're done! I followed the same procedure as the others, using the plastic retainers and zip-ties... a tip for anyone having problems with the plastic retainers, is not to use a screwdriver to pry, but use a pair of sidecutters get under the washer/head and pry them up gently...you won't mess them up that way.

here is the finished product, too bad I took a pic after I got the jeep all dirty this week!
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #72
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is it hard to keep clean?
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #73
ak67sd
2008 JK Wrangler 

The jeep or the grille? I went with the larger 1/2" welded wire mesh so that you can still use a power wash wand in there to clean the grille...
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #74
jnagel32
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome mod! I did this last night. It cost me 20 bucks and a little over an hour! Looks great!
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #75
tbone616

^^^^^^^^x2
tbone616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.