I did the mod this morning. I had to go to Lowes to get the supplies, as Home Depot did not have them. I used 50 of the anchors and around 60 cable ties. I added super glue to the anchors. Hopefully, they will hold. The finished product looks great, thanks for posting this mod.
So I got it all together. I used the aluminum mesh and painted it. I would reccomend using the plastic black because I think that the paint will come off within a month. When it does I'm switching it over to the plastic stuff. Still it beats paying $200 for the prefab ones.
I did this mod and it only cost me a little over 8 dollars. But I thought I bought enough of those plastic things that the zip ties go through to have 3 between each slot, but I only had enough for 2 between each slot. I did that, and super glued it to the grill. It held up for a few weeks but I had to take the Jeep to the dealership for a leak in the thermostat housing, and they put it through their car wash which pulled the plastic things off of the double sided tape. now I have to go back and super glue those back together and when I do that, I will go ahead and add another one to each slot.
__________________ Green Jeep Club Member #254
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
I did this to my dads new rubicon. i took pics but i cannot post them. Lowes sells the material. i asked the guy if he had mounting basses and i was like im making a really nice grill for my jeep and he reluctantly pointed me in the right direction. I found that the plastic gurd has some inperfections in the spacing of the squares every few feet or so. Just wanted to let future grill modders to be aware or the material before you cut and mount it.
I tried the plastic first, after a month in the florida sun (and a couple of small bird/large bug hits) the stuff looked like crap, so I bought stainless mesh (pricey, about $50 for enough to do it twice), primed it, rattlecanned it twice. So far (6 months) I've barely had any retouching to do, which is simple- spray a little paint into the cap and use a qtip to dab on the spots. Best solution would be to have a paint shop hit it.
Superglue those ziptie anchors, the adhesive won't usually hold that long. Maybe again it's a heat issue. And I used a bunch- probably 50. The more, the better it will look and retain the shape.
One hint with the steel mesh- work from one corner to the opposite corner, and run 5 anchors down each slot side. Start the zipties just a bit, enough to hold the mesh in place but don't tighten them down until all of them are in place.