Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #46
badazzelanore
2006 LJ Wrangler 

it really cleans up the front end, not seeing the radiator staring back at you when you look is so nice. I think it was a good investment.

badazzelanore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #47
Shad
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did the mod this morning. I had to go to Lowes to get the supplies, as Home Depot did not have them. I used 50 of the anchors and around 60 cable ties. I added super glue to the anchors. Hopefully, they will hold. The finished product looks great, thanks for posting this mod.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #48
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

shoe goo will hold those anchors well
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #49
abock33
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome cheap mod. Heading to home depot this weekend. I meant Lowes.

Last edited by abock33; 06-23-2009 at 11:27 PM..
abock33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #50
abock33
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So I got it all together. I used the aluminum mesh and painted it. I would reccomend using the plastic black because I think that the paint will come off within a month. When it does I'm switching it over to the plastic stuff. Still it beats paying $200 for the prefab ones.
abock33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #51
kubwa_jim
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just did this one today. This ranks as one of the top three cheap mods you can do, along with drilling a drain hole in the mirrors and painting the muffler with hi-temp black paint. Looks fantastic.
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #52
northeastern
2008 JK Wrangler 

ill be doing this in the next couple of days for sure! is the grill that easy to take off?
northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #53
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
is the grill that easy to take off?
Yes, it is extremely easy to take off. The hardest part is getting the turn signals in and out, which you could teach a retarded monkey to do in about 30 seconds.......its crazy easy
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #54
northeastern
2008 JK Wrangler 

just finished putting this in, costed me about 12 dollars and took maybe 40 min of actually work time and 2 hours of waiting to make sure the glue was dried. now to see how it stays on.

looks great!
northeastern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #55
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did this mod and it only cost me a little over 8 dollars. But I thought I bought enough of those plastic things that the zip ties go through to have 3 between each slot, but I only had enough for 2 between each slot. I did that, and super glued it to the grill. It held up for a few weeks but I had to take the Jeep to the dealership for a leak in the thermostat housing, and they put it through their car wash which pulled the plastic things off of the double sided tape. now I have to go back and super glue those back together and when I do that, I will go ahead and add another one to each slot.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #56
BrettsYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did this to my dads new rubicon. i took pics but i cannot post them. Lowes sells the material. i asked the guy if he had mounting basses and i was like im making a really nice grill for my jeep and he reluctantly pointed me in the right direction. I found that the plastic gurd has some inperfections in the spacing of the squares every few feet or so. Just wanted to let future grill modders to be aware or the material before you cut and mount it.
BrettsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #57
fleck
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is not right !!!!

Someone is cashing in on this idea !! Check out this Ebay listing !!!

JEEP WRANGLER JK BLACK MESH GRILLE GUARD 10 09 08 07 : eBay Motors (item 180469998424 end time Feb-25-10 16:59:34 PST)

This is not right.... people share their ideas on here to help others out !!

Not help others steal the idea and make money off of it !!!!
Unread 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #58
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
Someone is cashing in on this idea !! Check out this Ebay listing !!!

JEEP WRANGLER JK BLACK MESH GRILLE GUARD 10 09 08 07 : eBay Motors (item 180469998424 end time Feb-25-10 16:59:34 PST)

This is not right.... people share their ideas on here to help others out !!

Not help others steal the idea and make money off of it !!!!
Whoever spends that kind of money on that mod, is an idiot and deserves to spend way too much.
Also, most people that want to do this mod, would know how to do it themselves i'd bet...
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #59
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

I tried the plastic first, after a month in the florida sun (and a couple of small bird/large bug hits) the stuff looked like crap, so I bought stainless mesh (pricey, about $50 for enough to do it twice), primed it, rattlecanned it twice. So far (6 months) I've barely had any retouching to do, which is simple- spray a little paint into the cap and use a qtip to dab on the spots. Best solution would be to have a paint shop hit it.

Superglue those ziptie anchors, the adhesive won't usually hold that long. Maybe again it's a heat issue. And I used a bunch- probably 50. The more, the better it will look and retain the shape.

One hint with the steel mesh- work from one corner to the opposite corner, and run 5 anchors down each slot side. Start the zipties just a bit, enough to hold the mesh in place but don't tighten them down until all of them are in place.
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #60
fleck
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANJEEPO8 View Post
Whoever spends that kind of money on that mod, is an idiot and deserves to spend way too much.
Also, most people that want to do this mod, would know how to do it themselves i'd bet...
It is still not right to take advantage of some elses idea like that.....people stink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.