I done the exact same mod a few months back. Posted materials but never done a write up. Good job. I also used fewer blocks. One at top and bottom of each opening and two on each side of opening. Holding up well so far. I did use a little sandpaper to rough up areas where blocks were going to be placed and then cleaned area well with rubbing alcohol.
I just did this mod but used the metal material. I also used double the strips of it. I figured it's there to protect the radiater so it better be storng. I also used less anchors than you did. Funny 'cause I was at the HD and saw this and thought I would try it. Then I come here and see that you all had beat me to the punch.
I removed the original 2 sided tape from the square mounting base and replaced it with 3M automotive double coated tape used for trim parts etc. Along the edges, I applied epoxy glue.. Did pull tests with both set up's and the application with the 3m tape and epoxy was the strongest.. My grille mod went already through a Michigan winter without any issue..
(I used Alu mesh and painted it black..)
Last edited by USAntigoon; 06-04-2009 at 06:28 AM..
I saw this thread earlier today and ran to the local home improvement store to buy the needed materials. I spent $22 and have enough zip ties, mesh, and the mounting blocks left over to do it again. Looks great! Thanks for the idea and the photos.
I went out to buy the material and while i was at home depot I forgot it lol, walmart doesnt carry any of that other than the zip ties. I have the ties now i need the mesh and the mounting base. wish me luck!