Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics! - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Grill Mod.....with Pics!

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #181
jeeperz11
2011 JK Wrangler 

Completed mine 7/5/13. My Home Depot only had metal mesh gutter guard in 3'x6" sheets. (they clip on over the gutter) Glad my neighbor had tin snips because the wire cutters were taking forever. Peeling of the sticky foam from the bases was pretty easy. Used Gorilla Glue to secure the bases.

img_20130706_133231.jpg  
jeeperz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #182
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have since ditched the DIY and bought the Rugged Ridge.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #183
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
I have since ditched the DIY and bought the Rugged Ridge.
What prompted you to make the change?

Thanks,

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #184
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I was having a hard time keeping 3 of the stick on tie wrap mounts to stay stuck. And I kind of figured that with what we all spend on parts for our Jeeps, why skimp on this. It cost me $25ish for the DIY and $60 for the Rugged Ridge. If I had just gone that route to begin with, it's $35 difference. less than .5% what I've already spent.
Unread 08-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #185
davison0976

Grill DIY for just over $10

I was looking to install grille mesh for some time now. Mostly to protect radiator, not the looks, but ended up liking the way it looks in the end. Everything I've seen sold online is either too expensive or has unimpressive quality for cheap sets. I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the grille either. As far as DIYs I didn't like the idea of attaching a mesh with stickies. So, here is what I came up with.

Last edited by davison0976; 08-21-2013 at 08:37 PM..
davison0976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #186
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

davison0976, excellent, elegant solution, I love it.

I pick up my first Jeep on Monday and knew I wanted a wire mesh protector. This might be it.

Only thing I wonder is debris hitting the screen and falling down between the screen and grill?

Thanks,

John
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #187
davison0976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
davison0976, excellent, elegant solution, I love it.

I pick up my first Jeep on Monday and knew I wanted a wire mesh protector. This might be it.

Only thing I wonder is debris hitting the screen and falling down between the screen and grill?

Thanks,

John
Hey John. First of all Congratulations on the first Jeep!

There is actually nothing to hold the debris between the screen and grille, they should fall right down unless caught in the mesh itself, which is true of any wire mesh in that case.

Also, you may be able to avoid the small gap between grille and wire mesh by not stretching it as tightly as I did when fixing to those 4 bolts. It should give the mesh a forward concavity because of the plastic ridges on the inner sides of where the bolts are. You'll see what I am talking about when you take off the grill, or even from the pictures posted. This gap is there in my setup because mesh is flat and grille is slightly concave. So the gap is only in the middle.

And, what I like is you can always take it off an no one will ever know it was ever there because there are no wholes to drill, no glue to mess with.
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #188
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davison0976 View Post
Hey John. First of all Congratulations on the first Jeep!

There is actually nothing to hold the debris between the screen and grille, they should fall right down unless caught in the mesh itself, which is true of any wire mesh in that case.

Also, you may be able to avoid the small gap between grille and wire mesh by not stretching it as tightly as I did when fixing to those 4 bolts. It should give the mesh a forward concavity because of the plastic ridges on the inner sides of where the bolts are. You'll see what I am talking about when you take off the grill, or even from the pictures posted. This gap is there in my setup because mesh is flat and grille is slightly concave. So the gap is only in the middle.

And, what I like is you can always take it off an no one will ever know it was ever there because there are no wholes to drill, no glue to mess with.
I C now what you mean. This lQQks like my solution to some radiator protection.

Thanks again,

John
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #189
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Did mine this weekend plus bedlined it.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #190
ICT-JK

Hey zen first off nice grill, second that is one bad a$$ ride, is that the way the front bumper came? Or did you cut it down? Either way I need one
ICT-JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #191
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

ICT, the bumper on the 10A has removable ends so you can turn it into a stubby.
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #192
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

How do you guys clean your radiator, transcoolers after a good day of mudding? Does the insert prevent it?
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #193
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT-JK View Post
Hey zen first off nice grill, second that is one bad a$$ ride, is that the way the front bumper came? Or did you cut it down? Either way I need one
Yep, just take off the ends. I've had mine off since I drove it home from the dealer. Got a winch and hoop bar coming this week. Now, just to find time to get it on.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #194
davison0976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1 View Post
How do you guys clean your radiator, transcoolers after a good day of mudding? Does the insert prevent it?
Hosing it down with plenty of water or pressure washing had always worked for me. Not sure about transcooler, never had one. I think if insert has tiny openings it may abstract the water flow. If it's a common mesh with openings larger than the metal wire width there should be no issue.

The only trouble I had was with removing sea/lake/river weed and similar type of vegetation. That thing just wraps around and you have to remove it by hand.
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #195
gsgreg

I ordered my screen from Andrew at http://www.coxracingroup.com/ . It is anodized and therefore chip resistant. Mounting was as many have done with zip ties. I got the mesh in
Titanium color.

gsgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.