Mesh Grill Done! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mesh Grill Done!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Cod
2010 JK Wrangler 

Mesh Grill Done!

Used 20ga Aluminum expanded metal and coated it with rustoleum bed-liner, used the typical zip tie with super glued connectors on the grill.

Finished Product:

Hardware Used

Close-Up of Zip Tie connectors

Aluminum Mesh....$50
Two Cans of Bed Liner .....$14
Misc Zip Ties and connectors....$10

My Time doing it by myself in the basement drinking beer.......PRICELESS!

White Jeep Club #2109
2010 JK Unlimited Rubicon
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks awsome dude ..... did mine very similar except galv. steel mesh satin black rustolium .
034.jpg  
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
ajamison
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Used 20ga Aluminum expanded metal and coated it with rustoleum bed-liner, used the typical zip tie with super glued connectors on the grill.

Finished Product:
looks good! i did something similar on my TJ, but it didnt turn out so well
ajamison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
TGuiles
2010 JK Wrangler 

That is exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the post! Where did you get the aluminum from?

Curious... have you ever seen one done with chainmail?
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
stanware
2008 JK Wrangler 

Before I got my new grille, I did mine like yours too except I used plastic wire mesh.
I will post a picture when I can upload pics
stanware is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, thinking of doing something like this in my next list of mods
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I did mine over a year ago ( http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...d-pics-784840/ ) with the plastic mesh and it still looks great. The only fixes it has needed is I pull all of the loose bases off and super glued them down (I didn't do it the first time). I have been thinking about taking the plastic out eventually and replacing it with metal.

Nice job!
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Cod
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGuiles View Post
That is exactly what I want to do. Thanks for the post! Where did you get the aluminum from?

Curious... have you ever seen one done with chainmail?
McMaster-Carr search for decorative metal sheets you'll see it! from there you can go stainless or aluminum etc.

I used aluminum but you can use stainless or whatever you prefer. The aluminum seemed to work great, soft enough to pull tight and light enough that once you pull it in place it stays.

Either way you go you'll need to wash the machine oil off of the stainless or aluminum, i just washed it in the kitchen sink and used Dawn, came right off
White Jeep Club #2109
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

First off, the grill mods that you guys do look great. I hope this doesnít sound like Iím negative in any way, but is there a reason for this mod other than for looks? It seams to be quite popular. I just like to learn and understand things. Thanks.
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
Cod
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
First off, the grill mods that you guys do look great. I hope this doesnít sound like Iím negative in any way, but is there a reason for this mod other than for looks? It seams to be quite popular. I just like to learn and understand things. Thanks.
I like the looks Plus this will hopefully keep 60 to 70% of the debris out of the radiator, big bugs, butterflies etc. etc... i noticed after driving at night mine had several critters in it so i brushed it out and began gathering materials for the grill mod.

White Jeep Club #2109
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
camo_deerslayer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Love the grill, good job!!

I had my Jeep for all of 10 minutes before I decided I needed to put "something" there to keep birds out of the radiator.... (Bought a Jeep last week)

I found a Quadratec (sp) magazine and noticed they make some for $85 bucks. Has anybody you know bought these? I like making stuff myself, like you have done.... but I am pretty busy right now... Not sure how tough the store bought ones would be.
camo_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I like the looks Plus this will hopefully keep 60 to 70% of the debris out of the radiator, big bugs, butterflies etc. etc... i noticed after driving at night mine had several critters in it so i brushed it out and began gathering materials for the grill mod.

I was thinking along those lines but wasnít quite sure. In my part of the country we also have some big critters but probably not in the numbers that you do.
Thanks for informing me.
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
owenswj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo_deerslayer View Post
Love the grill, good job!!

I had my Jeep for all of 10 minutes before I decided I needed to put "something" there to keep birds out of the radiator.... (Bought a Jeep last week)

I found a Quadratec (sp) magazine and noticed they make some for $85 bucks. Has anybody you know bought these? I like making stuff myself, like you have done.... but I am pretty busy right now... Not sure how tough the store bought ones would be.
Its the same as what he has done only with a higher price tag. Save yourself the money and do it yourself.
owenswj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I did it to stop rocks and stones from messing my A/C and rad . Which is why I went with galv. steel ....alum. would be a good second choice though . I priced stainless it was way to much . This mod will probably stop some branches as well ....once you kill your fingers scraping the adhesive off those pads and super glue them on I think the mesh would give before the hold downs go . Just sayin'
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Moparrules
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought one already made from one of the Jeep part companies. It really finishes the front, my main reason was like a lot of the comments, to keep larger pieces of debris from damaging the radiator.
Moparrules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grill , grill inserts , JK Wrangler , mesh grill , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.