Mechanic Left Coolant Reservoir Empty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Mechanic Left Coolant Reservoir Empty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
erwisto

Mechanic Left Coolant Reservoir Empty

About 4 days ago, I took my '13 JKU to the dealership's service department to have a window motor replaced, my oil changed, and the recent transmission line recall work completed. The next two days, I noticed that it was slightly harder to accelerate like the engine was ever so slightly bogged down, and that it decelerated faster then it used to when allowed to coast at around 30 mph. That night I decided to check my fluids just in case they were not filled correctly at the mechanic and, sure enough, my engine coolant was bone dry. I filled the reservoir up but the JKU still seems to feel (albeit minimally) different. It's not very noticeable but it is definitely different. I did not notice the engine overheating at all but I do not know what else it could have affected. Could someone tell me the smart way to approach this situation with the service center by making sure that they fix anything that could be wrong with it?

erwisto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
ncb

With the engine cool did you remove the radiator cap and check the level? Is the overflow reservoir low or completely dry? Did the tech do any work which would involve draining the overflow reservoir?
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

To my knowledge the work you had done doesn't involve the cooling system in any way!But they may have disconnected the battery for a while and the systems have to relearn your habits.Or maybe they reflashed your system?
Spoony1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Based on the OP's info, there's no reason for the Coolant reservoir to be "EMPTY" and---

It looks like the only thing the service mechanic is guilty of is not even noticing the lack-O-Fluid in that highly visable reservoir and it has nothing to do with the Auto tranny fluid line work --

Unless he removed it to get to the tranny fluid lines/fender liner, on the drivers side--

Maybe he dumped it and was gonna fill with new/improved MOPAR Fluid---and forgot-

This would warrant a return visit to the dealer and 24 question time !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
Tseg
2014 WK 

I do know that when cold the fluid is generally at MIN line or below, which is very far down the overflow bottle. It then expand to near MAX when hot. If your system was low you likely would hear lots of gurgling from air pockets and if really low, your temp gauge would go way up. Also, make sure you put the correct special coolant in your system or you'll brick your heater core over time.

Maybe your gas pedal needs recalibrated?
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.