Maybe last time going to Stealership..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Maybe last time going to Stealership.....

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe last time going to Stealership.....

Well Im giving the dealership one last chance to fix my jeep. It has been stalling on the freeway ever sense I put maybe 5k miles on it. Sometimes wont happen for 5k miles, other times it will happen anytime I go maybe 100miles on it. Has never happened while driving around town, and has never happened while going up a steep grade.
It first feels like Im hitting a head wind, kinda lugging and wont stay at a constant speed, I have learned to pull into the right hand lane when this happens and maybe 5mins after that starts the whole jeep will loose all electrical and shutdown.....After maybe another 3 sec the dash will light up again. I have to pull over and turn it completely off and then it will turn on again like nothing has happened. This has happened maybe 8-10 times so far and I have even tried restarting it after the 3 sec's when electrical comes back on while its still rolling, it will start but lug with no power and then shut off again. No check engine lights stay on, other then after the 3 sec after it stalls and electrical comes back, it will light up like a Christmas tree... The dealer does seem to see this as a huge problem and has been looking at it for a whole day so far and will prolly keep it for another (hasnt found the problem as over this afternoon).

It seems obvious that its a electrical issue and dont expect the dealer to find the problem other then start replacing parts, I told them to keep it untell they fix it....
I know there was a stall TSB on the early 07's but they checked for it and the Vin doesnt show anything needed. If they give it back to me without fixing the problem I will be selling or trading the jeep in for something that I can depend on.

I have over 15k worth of aftermarket parts on this Jeep that I know will never get back but am starting a new job that requires traveling and need something that will not just stall on me for no reason. I have been lucky that I havent been boxed in my semi's when this happens or I can potentially cause a huge accident.
Anyone else have this happen? I have never read of a problem like this with anyone elses jeep. Only other thing I can do it buy another JK and swap all my aftermarket parts and sell it as stock but that will take time and energy I dont have.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

if you have the ESP try to turn it off for a while and see if it still happens.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

broke jeep

lemon law?
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Actually I have the ESP/ABS on a bypass toggle switch that I normally leave off so they are never on (saves my brake pads). If they give it back to me without a fix I will try turning ESP back on untell I find another vehicle. Dont see how that would stall the jeep and kill all power but I will try anyways...Lemon law is one headache after another and I rather just trade or sell it then go through that BS....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would totally file a lemon law... If they have tried to fix the problem more than three times and cant then it totally quals! I would file a lemon law concern and ask the dealership if you can get the stock jeep they are replacing it with for a few weeks while you replace all the parts and put yours back to stock... And just hope that the problem wasnt caused by something that you did... Im surprised that they will even work on it since you put that toggle switch into the electrical system though.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
DailyDrvn5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
Actually I have the ESP/ABS on a bypass toggle switch that I normally leave off so they are never on (saves my brake pads). If they give it back to me without a fix I will try turning ESP back on untell I find another vehicle. Dont see how that would stall the jeep and kill all power but I will try anyways...Lemon law is one headache after another and I rather just trade or sell it then go through that BS....
This could be your problem, I worked at a dealer and you'd be surprised how many aftermarket wiring jobs would cause random odd problems untill we removed them, All that switch needs to do is overheat, draw to much current or be wired to a wire that sends voltage somewhere only at certain times and you have a recipe for all sorts of voltage based problems.

With all the computers on these new ones id be hesitant to wire anything into the system, you just never know what could happen. Take that switch out completely including the wiring and either turn ESP on or disable it the correct way, and your problem may go away. Im surprised the dealer hasnt said anything about this, but they probably dont know what that switch is for.

-Blake

94 YJ, 95 YJ, 80 CJ-5
DailyDrvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDrvn5 View Post
This could be your problem, I worked at a dealer and you'd be surprised how many aftermarket wiring jobs would cause random odd problems untill we removed them, All that switch needs to do is overheat, draw to much current or be wired to a wire that sends voltage somewhere only at certain times and you have a recipe for all sorts of voltage based problems.

With all the computers on these new ones id be hesitant to wire anything into the system, you just never know what could happen. Take that switch out completely including the wiring and either turn ESP on or disable it the correct way, and your problem may go away. Im surprised the dealer hasnt said anything about this, but they probably dont know what that switch is for.

-Blake
X2.......................

If they can not duplicate the issue how do you expect them to diagnose the problem? No test will show anything wrong unless it is actually messing up at that exact time.That is how it works.They also do not have the time and man power to drive it until it stalls which can happen anywhere from 100 miles to 5000 miles.The tech working on it may get paid 0.3-1 hour to diag the issue,how many miles do you think he will drive it? Not no 100+ miles,maybe the 1-2 mile test drive course the shop has laid out and that is about it.

And since you've done $15k in mods with lift,gears and all that those items can make your system act all funny also,more so if you run around with a un-approved ESP disable.
Unread 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ive been thinking about the toggle switch and have realized that I havent had the toggle switch installed for more then 7k miles...This problem has happened sense I bought the jeep that now has 27k miles on it. All this switch does is open a connection, doesnt draw power from anything (no heat) and can switch it on or off without it giving a hint of hesitation. All the mods Ive done is suspension/driveshaft/ruby axles. Havent tied one thing into the computer. Cant really lemon law this as this is the first time its been in for the problem. I realize that they will never be able to diagnose the problem other then maybe with a ohm meter or finding a loose connection but that is NOT my problem and its not my fault they make these jeeps computer dependent... I really hate how these jeeps are so computer dependent that even a minor glitch can set them off. Jeeps have such a good resale value its easier to just trade it for a new one, hell I bought it for 20k with a promotional rebate and KBB has resale value at $19000...I cant have this keep happening and if there is no check engine light that comes on I cant see it getting fixed even if it does it 20 more times. The reason I never took it in sooner is that its gone for 5k+ miles with no problem and no check engine light has ever stayed on so I figured it was a fluke. I will try taking the switch off completely but if it happens again the jeep is history. Other people have used that switch method with NO problems and like I said I have been having problems before the switch was even installed.
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
Armycop
2008 JK Wrangler 

My '07 had the stall bug but it happened from standing still. Has your Jeep been flashed according to the TSB that came out in 2007? Mine used to die out in parking lots and the stereo would shut off for no reason. The flash fixed the problem, and I didn't have any other problems with it for the next year or so when I traded for an '08.
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I realize that they will never be able to diagnose the problem other then maybe with a ohm meter or finding a loose connection but that is NOT my problem and its not my fault they make these jeeps computer dependent... I really hate how these jeeps are so computer dependent that even a minor glitch can set them off. Jeeps have such a good resale value its easier to just trade it for a new one, hell I bought it for 20k with a promotional rebate and KBB has resale value at $19000..
Every new vehicle will be worse for the computer dependent part and your not going to get very good trade in with it modified.Just some things to think about.
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

if I trade in for a new one then everything will just swap over and I will be left with a completely stock JK with 27k miles on it.... The exact same jeeps are being listed on autotrader for almost 20k and thats with 45K+ miles on them, same year. If I buy a different vehicle, I have my stock axles still along with wheels/tires still sitting on my side yard so I can swap those back in and sell the ruby axles to some lucky soul for less them half of what they are worth. As for lift I would just need to find some coils someone has taken off and swap those in to lower it back down. Either way I will be loosing money but its better then being dead on the freeway....Hopefully the dealer will have some good news today so I wont have to do anything I will regret.
Dont get me wrong, I love jeep but first and formost is my safety and anyone riding with me. Have been looking at high mileage 4 doors but I cant for the life of me bring myself to buy something that isnt under warranty and know for curtain something stupid like a tranny/clutch doesnt breaks. Ive had 4 other cars before this, all used and have never once needed to take them to a stealership to get repaired. Hell the cherokee had 200k+ miles on and still drove like a champ when I sold it.... Ive been to the jeep dealership enough times for the ladies to know me by name. Starter goes out at 26k miles? give me a break. Cant fill up at a gas station without having pump keep shutting off even after they replaced the evap box. Its out of warranty in less then 1 month and do not look forward to having to replace a freaken gas tank just so I can fill up with gas without sitting by it. If I wasnt covered under warranty and had to replace this stuff I would have no cash to spend on all the goodies. I cant imagine I couldnt sell the jeep as it sits now for less then 20k, someone has got to see how much money I have spent and snatch it up. Hell a rubicon sells for 25k+ used and this jeep will walk all over it. I just pray they find the problem so I can put this all behind me.
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well a little update, dealer has no clue what is happening. Tech knows its a electrical issue but they cant replicate it on the test drives. The only way for them to find the problem is using there data recorder while it happens. Unfortunately they had 2 of them get stolen by other customers and dont have one they can lend me for the next time I take a nice long trip. Was able to talk to the actual Tech today and told them some more info they couldnt get out of the ladies at the front desk (figures). Hes keeping it another day to check some of the ground connections and anything that could of been damaged while at the factory. Chrysler hasnt had any other reports of this issue, they are calling tomarrow to advise on what to do next. I have to say Im impressed with this dealership and how they are handling things. From what other folks have been say it seems like most dealership would just give it back the next day and call the clients liers.

I have decided to keep the jeep regardless and just deal with it untell I can aford to do a hemi swap. All it took was looking through the 2010 Quadratrec catalog for me to see that this jeep isnt something I can just replace.

They have the problem recorded in there computers now so if something blows up in the future it should be replaced under warranty even after the 3 years is up. Just kinda sucks they cant buy a couple more recorders so I can actually find the problem, however I can see how they would be expensive for them to replace.

Im picking up the jeep tomarrow and going to the Pismo Sand dune rally this weekend if anyone else is going, look for the big yellow jeep with a pirate flag on it. Drop buy and I will get you a beer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.