May need to cancel JK order - what do I need to know? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > May need to cancel JK order - what do I need to know?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

May need to cancel JK order - what do I need to know?

I may need to cancel my JK 2-dr Rubicon order. What do I need to know? I want to get my deposit back with the least amount of problems with the dealership. I still want the JK but can't afford it now - ordered it months ago and has been in BG status (possibly for multiple reasons: hardtop, manual tranny, Rubicon, sway bar, MyGig) for a long time.

What have your past experiences been if you've been in a similar situation with the dealership? Did you get your money back? Did they try to lower the price? What did you do?

Thanks in advance!

T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Omega Man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just go in there and tell them that you have changed your mind. Explain to them that things have changed since you ordered your Jk and that now you can not afford it. They will give you your money back. If they do not then take the opportunity to let the other customers know how you are being treated.

I had a similar situation once. So I went out to the middle of the sales floor on a Saturday and "got the attention" that I deserved. I am sure I cost them a sale or 2.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Omega Man!
Unread 03-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
rocky_taco

Hold up your end of the contract.

When you ordered your jeep, did they say if the deposit was refundable or not? If you gave a deposit and knew that it was not refundable, then doom on you. You need to suck it up and uphold your end of the contract. Things change, life changes, you signed a contract and lost the deposit, but you learned a valuable lesson. No sense in trying to basically extort the money out of the dealer by trying to scare away customer being an idiot in the middle of the show room. Itís either refundable or not. No one forced you to give them a deposit.
rocky_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
otizzy

If they do not agree to give you your deposit back you may want to look into your local statutes. I know in Maine it is against the law for a dealer to hold a deposit if the customer is to backout for any reason. The wording is a little different, but that's the "stupified" translation.
Unread 03-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

How much was the deposit?
Unread 03-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

If it's still in BG, he may be able to get his deposit back, especially if he plays the "I'm sick and tired of waiting for you guys to get your **** together" card.

In BG the order can still be changed or cancelled (I had them change my paint), once it goes to BX or D the thing is more than likely going to be built.
Unread 03-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Bamoman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man
Just go in there and tell them that you have changed your mind. Explain to them that things have changed since you ordered your Jk and that now you can not afford it. They will give you your money back. If they do not then take the opportunity to let the other customers know how you are being treated.

I had a similar situation once. So I went out to the middle of the sales floor on a Saturday and "got the attention" that I deserved. I am sure I cost them a sale or 2.
im in houston too, thats too funny, what dealer did you have to do that at?

Auto|Sirius|Trac-lok Rear Diff |35 12.50 17 MT Radial MTZs| Pro Comp 1069 polished 17x9s|Teraflex 2.5 BB|3/4 Skyjacker leveling spacer
Trail Guide Nav|Amsteel Synthetic rope 100'|Shrockworks Alum Fairlead|Grab Handles x 4|Front Winch Bumper|Rear Bumper w Tire Carrier
Tow Grp|Shrockworks Rock Sliders|T-Max 9k Winch|Wireless Winch Remote|Roadboy Fog Lights
Unread 03-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Everyone - thank you for the input!

I am undecided and trying to explore all options. Your thoughts and experiences have helped me begin to think this out.

Deposit was $500.

Thanks again. I'll decide what to do soon.
Unread 03-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Making a scene and trying to ruin a business is never a good thing to do. After doing something like that and making a total butt hole out of yourself, do you really expect to get what you want? People that work there are ordinary folks like you and me. Why intentionally try to hurt someone, possibly get them fired, and disrupt their family life? Doing something like that to "stick it to the man" is a reflection of intelligence. You can usually get more with a carrot than a stick. Be calm, cool, and courteous. He will be more apt to stick it to you if you are trying to stick it to him. Speak to the salesperson in private and explain the situation. It sounds like you made an impulsive decision to buy the vehicle, but what is done is done. You might get your deposit back or you might get half of it back or you might get zero back. Did you sign any type of contract or agreement? If you did, go back and read it carefully. Did you take out a loan for the purchase yet? If you didn't, then you don't stand to lose as much. If you don't get your $500 back, then it's really not that much money in comparison to the total price of the vehicle. If you conduct yourself in an appropriate manner, perhaps when the time comes and you really are ready to make a purchase, then they will be more willing to work with you. Cause a scene etc. and they will refuse to have any dealings with you whatsoever or will only sell you a vehicle at an inflated price. Nobody forced you to agree to buy the vehicle or put down a $500 deposit for special ordering one. You put the money down and gave them your word that you would purchase the vehicle. A man is only as good as his word. Granted, maybe some unforeseen circumstance has changed things, hence the need to have a polite private conversation with your salesperson. I'm not trying to be hard on you or anything, but I just want to give you something to think about.
Unread 03-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Everyone, Once again THANK YOU for the input. I have and know enough to decide what to do.

I was interested in your expriences IF you dealt with a similar situation and HOW you handled it. I was interested in your stories. They are the best teachers. Whether you were nice or created a scene, did a dance on the showroom floor, had no problem, had lots of problems is what I was asking about. I have no judgements on what your approach was.

There have been a few excited, inaccurate assumptions here that strayed away from the experience question.

Omega Man and Kyoseki -- your experiences and examples have been helpful and what I was asking for.
Unread 03-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Gasser

I had to cancel my order. I was given no flack at all. They are supposed to mail my deposit back to me. I need to check on it....I hope I don't have to sick my wife on them. They won't like that!
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had an order in on one that went to D status. I canceled the order, and they refused to give me my deposit back, even though it was supposed to be refundable, and I was very nice about it at first. I finally had enough of the salesman's BS, and put a dispute on my credit card. The nice lady in the finance office called me when they received the dispute, and cheerfully refunded my $1000. She said "You didn't have to dispute this, all you needed to do was call and we would have refunded it." I didn't go into details about it with her, it just kind of solidified my view that the salesman was trying to pressure me into buying it.
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Omega Man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Glad to here it worked out for you. My issue was with a dealer who said the order was refundable. We were 23 at the time (now 35) and newly married(Wife and I ). We put down the money and ordered the car. We had an agreed price and it was within our budget. When the car came in the dealer put 2k worth of fabric protection and paint sealer and that and that. We did not want it and we did not ask for it. They said that they could not take it off. Complete BS.

The dealer did this to a few cars. The real reason was he was not going to make enough money off of our deal and wanted out of it, since someone else was willing to pay more.

I explained that the 2k would put me over the budget and that I could not afford the car any longer. HE said sorry that is the way things are. I asked for the deposit back and he said that since the car was already at the dealership that there was no refund.

At the time 500 bucks was HUGE money to my wife and I, and we could not afford to loose it. I argued with the sales guy and his manager and then it got ugly.

I understand that they need to make a living like everyone else but them screwing me was wrong and I was not going to take it.

I went in the middle of the sales floor and got loud. It took about an hour and they said they even called the police. I said good I am sure that they would like to hear how you stole my money. I think that I caused a few potential buyers to walk out and eventually I got my money back.

I feel that in this situation I did what was appropriate and I got my money back that they were trying to steal.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
JLH
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser
I had to cancel my order. I was given no flack at all. They are supposed to mail my deposit back to me. I need to check on it....I hope I don't have to sick my wife on them. They won't like that!

Sounds like your wife is a lot like mine. My wife will absolutey chew up a dealer and spit them out any day of the week. There are two things she don't play games with: 1.) Money 2.) Fashion. Everything else is fair game. LoL.

Rgs, JLH
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.