Massive repair bill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Massive repair bill

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
adkjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

Massive repair bill

So the dash light for the electronic sway bar disconnect started flashing intermittently the other day on my 2008 Rubicon Unlimited (25,000 miles, only moderate trail use in the NE) Took it in and was told $2,700 to replace the sway bar. After I picked myself up off the floor they told me my TIPM was reporting error codes and needed to be replaced for another $350. I haven't had any of the usual TIPM problems (inoperable lights, locks, etc.). Wondering if the TIPM could be causing the sway bar fault? Anyone had to replace the sway bar? If so how much? I know from other posts they are expensive but $2,700 is ridiculous. Finally, anyone know if driving with the sway bar intermittently flashing would be unsafe? It doesn't feel like it is actually trying to disconnect....

Thanks.

adkjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

seems high the part is only 1495$ simple install. whats 1k labor? must be making up for the 012 heads.

I use mine rather hard and at 17k its still working? might be one of the, 'use it or lose it' things. When it dies i go Currie call it aday for 500$
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just removed the sway bar motor from my 2012 (working fine) and installed the EVO manual sway bar disconnect. Works great with the spin of a knob. I think it's $80, super easy to install.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
I just removed the sway bar motor from my 2012 (working fine) and installed the EVO manual sway bar disconnect. Works great with the spin of a knob. I think it's $80, super easy to install.
You could mount a servo to that knob and have a poor mans e-disco.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The sway bar light flashing only means that you will not be able to use that feature. It should be ok to drive, just annoying. Try unplugging it, disconnect your battery for 5 minutes, reconnnect sway bar, then battery to see if it fixes it. If it doesn't work go for the EVO spin knob fix.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
ncb

The AEV Procal (other programmers might) will kill that light if you decide to go with a different sway bar.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes the Procal will kill the light. I'd go with a antirock at this point.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Manual disconnect or used sway bar motor. Both are much less expensive.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Antirock.

Better offroad performance and never have to worry about being connected or not.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lunacy from another stealer. If it's really faulty get rid of it and go Currie, Tera or ORO.
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #11
CF1973
2014 KL Cherokee 

I'm looking to replace my OEM electronic sway bar, 2012, with a stock non-rubicon version. The electronic sway bar disconnect for me is wasted as I disconnect it for an entire day at a time. I've had a WTB OEM non-rubicon front sway bar post on another site for over a month, no luck. Dealer quoted me $144 for the OEM non-rubicon front sway bar. I'm looking for a the cheapest front sway bar replacement possible, then I can sell the OEM electronic one.
CF1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1973
I'm looking to replace my OEM electronic sway bar, 2012, with a stock non-rubicon version. The electronic sway bar disconnect for me is wasted as I disconnect it for an entire day at a time. I've had a WTB OEM non-rubicon front sway bar post on another site for over a month, no luck. Dealer quoted me $144 for the OEM non-rubicon front sway bar. I'm looking for a the cheapest front sway bar replacement possible, then I can sell the OEM electronic one.
Man, buy or make a manual disconnect for the rubi bar!

The normal quick disconnects are a huge pain to re-connect. The last pin normally involves lying on your back in the dirt/mud and bouncing the jeep, trying to re-align the holes/pins. With the manual disconnect, just turn the knob and drive (or bounce it once) and it reconnects when it aligns. I leave mine disconnect for longer times and higher speeds too, sand, washboard roads etc. Unless you're just hoping to get a bunch of money for the stock rubicon piece?
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
CF1973
2014 KL Cherokee 

I may be grasping here, but I would like to slowly lighten the Jeep. Replacing the rubicon sway-bar with the standard and removing the lower bumper skid plate that protects it, will remove X? pounds from the front end. If I can get some cash out of it, that's a bonus. Hell, given the nature of my wheeling trips, an entire day or a weekend at a time, it could be removed completely before the trip.

More potential changes to reduce front end weight...
- Synthetic winch line
- lighter hood
- temporary removal of the the front fender flares while wheeling, http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrang...are-p/3281.htm

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten aluminum fenders. I'm not sure about aluminum skid plates though. I'm comfortable with aluminum on the parts that rarely, if ever, take big hits like skid plates and rock sliders do. The fender flares in the rear have kept me off of trees numerous times.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would be interested in a list of mods to reduce weight, front end specifically.
CF1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF1973 View Post
I found one on another forum for $60 or $70 shipped. Installed quick discos and didn't look back. I sold my rubi sway bar for $400 ish on eBay

Post wtb on all the forums, you'll have better luck. Buy the tapatalk app to track your classifieds all in one place.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sell Rubi sway bar assembly for $.

Purchase Currie AR, a sway bar that actually helps you offroad.

Forget about the rest.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.