Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Marshmallow toast anyone?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  jwmbishop 
#1 ·
Almost lost the Jeep today.
Picked up a painters towel between the skid and frame rail just fwd of the fuel tank and directly on the right cat (probably blew out of some idiots pickup bed) - directly under the fuel lines and lit afire by cat... I never saw it - cruising along at 60 in moderate traffic, single lane through construction zone, smelled it burning, then eyes started watering from smoke AND GAS FUMES (no floor plugs). Thank the lord there was no shoulder - my first instinct was to stop and bail... I had to keep driving ~45 for about a mile to a safe stopping place - that saved my ***... had I stopped right away it would have melted the fuel line and engulfed once I stopped. As it was - it merely heated and cracked the tube at the elbow and started a dribble - the air flow kept it from flaming until the rag was all consumed (three charred corners stuck in place was all the remained). Once I touched the tube it started a steady stream about like a squirt gun - directly to the cat!

Had to soft patch the fuel line (double sided rubber tape and a stack of hose clamps) to get it home. I THINK it was the return line...

#2 ·
Wow! Sounds like you were lucky and unlucky at the same time.
I don't understand the thought process behind leaving lightweight materials or empty bottles in the bed of a pick up. Some people have no common sense.

S'mores sound good, though!

#5 ·
Until you said THAT I was :grin2: but makes sense that CanBUS system would be PWM ...

what are the two line headed forward up the transmission? Supply and.....? (I haven't looked into it fully, just field repaired, eased home and parked and will start on it tomorrow night - I did however notice I have gas spread all the way back and even have spatter on the tail gate - so I am extremely lucky!)

The line that's leaking (the tube is distorted and split right at the barbs of the 90degree) is under pressure with key on and slowly bleeds down with key off (after which start up is rough). I figured a leaky supply line would have it run rough even after startup... so just mental noted as likely a return.

I'm amazed that my field patch worked - I'll post up a pic for chuckles once I cut the fitting loose.

Ive found the kit to repair the line (tooling, three of each type of fitting (12 total) and two sizes of tube for 123.00). Id rather tool up and have backup later (kit even has straight patch parts) than just toss the cash at the dealer or other mechanic. For right around 70 I can get the press tool, the one 90degree fitting, one straight barbed fitting and 10" of tube so I think paying myself with the rest of the complete kit is worth it.

I'll also more closely inspect the other line just to make sure ITS not cooked or distorted as well...

#7 ·
Awesome thanks! So its a constant PSi? egads that makes it scarier! Its the 5/16 line to elbow that leaks - so the larger diameter (3/8) line is evap?

#10 ·
Still Mango - and by next season WILL be sporting a set of ghost flames on the hood! (I'm thinkin they're earned). In bottom pic you can see where the powder coat on the skid cooked off (very bottom under cat) directly under the patched line (any sailor should recognize the DC technique employed to stop the leak). Top pic you can see the fuel trail from the crisped elbow leaking.

Had I stopped and NOT "blown the fire out by MPH" - WOOF.

Another time in my life that God has smiled and winked at me!

Attachments

#12 ·
That was racing experience kicking in. I've seen many small underhood fires blow out at over 45, and seen a couple go full flame up - only after stopping.
Had it started filling cab with visible smoke though - I was already looking for a landing spot, steep shoulder, ditch or not!
If I had the cams on it may have made for a funny vid. I am sure I was saying out loud (if not shouting), "stay calm, stay calm" over and over!

#13 ·
Dealer quoted 85 for the line and 200 labor to install it. For 135 I got the Dorman 800-300 nylon line repair kit and just cut off the burnt end (went back two inches to make sure I was back to "good" nylon) and installed a new fitting. Less than 5 minutes (plus 10 to watch the video to learn the tool). The kit has enough tube and fittings to have completely rebuilt a new line if I was not comfortable with the condition of the existing tube. I now also have enough stuff to make field repairs on nylon - not quite as easy as the old school rubber stuff to patch!!
Once I got the old end out and onto the workbench for a close look - I am AMAZED at how lucky I truly was - the fitting itself had obviously been on fire for a brief period of time - just brief enough to have not been a disaster.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.