Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
lflr-2012

Just got a 2012 Sport with 2000 miles on it. Bought it used, I though I wanted the manual. Now I am not 100% convinced that it is a good design. I would prefer that the clutch engages lower, closer to the firewall. It is hard to modulate as the clutch grabs 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. I have herd that there is no adjustment since it is fully hydraulic. I believe the clutch engagement makes for a difficult shifting. You have to concentrate to deliver smooth shifts. When you don't, you end up hearing clunks and abrupt shifting, etc. If anyone knows a better way to shift smooth, please let me know. I don't consider myself a beginner driver on a manual transmission as I have had manual cars and motorcycles for 38 years, but I am willing to learn. Does anyone know if there is an adjustable clutch master cylinder plunger shaft? The bar that connects the pedal to the master cylinder piston?

lflr

lflr-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 13 with 3.73 gears and a 6mt

Before this I had an Audi a4 with a 6mt also. That car was buttery smooth with crisp shift points and a light clutch.

When going to test drive the wrangler I figured it was going to drive like **** because its a truck and trucks usually have sloppy gearboxes with long shift points.

I was plesently surprised that it drove very smooth and shifts were nice and solid and the clutch wasn't too heavy either.

So far I can say I'm loving my 6mt in my wrangler and I'm glad I made that my decision.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen28 View Post
I have a 13 with 4.10s.

When going to test drive the wrangler I figured it was going to drive like **** because its a truck and trucks usually have sloppy gearboxes with long shift points.

I was plesently surprised that it drove very smooth and shifts were nice and solid and the clutch wasn't too heavy either.

So far I can say I'm loving my 6mt in my wrangler and I'm glad I made that my decision.
Xs2
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 13 with 3.73 gears and a 6mt

Before this I had an Audi a4 with a 6mt also. That car was buttery smooth with crisp shift points and a light clutch.

You running stock tires? I'm looking into getting a 2.5" lift and 35's right off the lot if I can find a dealer willing to give me a good enough deal.
SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
doc5339
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2013 JKUR and I must say that the Manual Transmissions are pretty bad.

My last manuals were a 2002 VW Golf TDI and a 1976 Toyota FJ40, both shifted way better. This tranny pops out of gear, does not smoothly engage and rattles.

I am still a Manual Transmission kind of guy, just really disappointed in this Getrag Trans. For what it's worth, I feel that the 3.6l Pentastar is pretty anemic; though I never suffered with the old 3.8l minivan engine!
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
You running stock tires? I'm looking into getting a 2.5" lift and 35's right off the lot if I can find a dealer willing to give me a good enough deal.
I have a 2.5" lift and 33"s. I bought a procal also.

and if I put you into the driver seat blindfolded and told you it was stock you wouldn't notice. The power stayed the same and I can still use 6th gear.

A big reason I did 33"s was because I do a lot of road driving and I can't complain. I don't think they look small either. I contemplated 35s for a while before I desided they were overkill for me.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 2.5" lift and 33"s. I bought a procal also.

and if I put you into the driver seat blindfolded and told you it was stock you wouldn't notice. The power stayed the same and I can still use 6th gear.

A big reason I did 33"s was because I do a lot of road driving and I can't complain. I don't think they look small either. I contemplated 35s for a while before I desided they were overkill for me.
You have 3.73 or 4.10 gears?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have 3.73 gears idk why that guy changed it when he quoted my post lol.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #24
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I test drove both, I am getting the auto (tomorrow :-) ) because of a couple of reason;

1) I really did not like the feel of the 6 speed, mostly the feel of the clutch.
2) I am back into skiing and riding a bicycle, last year I broken my left arm and it was a ***** driving my Toyota truck with a manual transmission.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
dreinecke
2012 JK Wrangler 

We have one of each - auto and manual. The 2013 auto is sweet and smooth. My wife and I both like shifting though, and my 2012 is a manual. I drive this one 500 miles a week into downtown Denver in traffic. Lots of stop and go. The clutch is easy and after 11k, the Jeep still shifts smoothly. I haven't had issues finding reverse, but my wife has. The only thing mine does is when "lugging" the motor a little lower in RPM it does have a slight "rattle" to the shifter, but I've now heard this in 4 other manual JK's.
2005 KJ - Daughter

www.rmsresins.com
dreinecke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Enjoytheride
2013 JK Wrangler 

My last jeep was an 04 manual. I enjoy driving a manual and it was a must have at the time.

Two months ago I purchased a 13 JKU. I test drove both the manual and auto with the intention of purchasing a manual. I ended up deciding on the auto for a couple of reasons.... Mostly because an auto is an easier resale but I also thought it was a better fit for the 4 door!

Both are fun to drive!
Enjoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just test drove a manual and automatic tonight with the wife. Automatic it is! I haven't placed an order yet, but I am definitely one step closer!! The manual wasn't bad, but when I was driving it I just felt it was awkward. Don't get me wrong, but the 4 door doesn't feel like a "jeep", at least not the Jeeps I am used to. I have owned a YJ and currently have a CJ7 and a 1970 CJ5 project(that will be up for sale soon). The automatic just seemed right when it comes to the family and wife driving it. While I am confident my wife could probably handle the manual, I feel better about an automatic. I cannot wait to get an order in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.