Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
lflr-2012

Just got a 2012 Sport with 2000 miles on it. Bought it used, I though I wanted the manual. Now I am not 100% convinced that it is a good design. I would prefer that the clutch engages lower, closer to the firewall. It is hard to modulate as the clutch grabs 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up. I have herd that there is no adjustment since it is fully hydraulic. I believe the clutch engagement makes for a difficult shifting. You have to concentrate to deliver smooth shifts. When you don't, you end up hearing clunks and abrupt shifting, etc. If anyone knows a better way to shift smooth, please let me know. I don't consider myself a beginner driver on a manual transmission as I have had manual cars and motorcycles for 38 years, but I am willing to learn. Does anyone know if there is an adjustable clutch master cylinder plunger shaft? The bar that connects the pedal to the master cylinder piston?

lflr

lflr-2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 13 with 3.73 gears and a 6mt

Before this I had an Audi a4 with a 6mt also. That car was buttery smooth with crisp shift points and a light clutch.

When going to test drive the wrangler I figured it was going to drive like **** because its a truck and trucks usually have sloppy gearboxes with long shift points.

I was plesently surprised that it drove very smooth and shifts were nice and solid and the clutch wasn't too heavy either.

So far I can say I'm loving my 6mt in my wrangler and I'm glad I made that my decision.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen28 View Post
I have a 13 with 4.10s.

When going to test drive the wrangler I figured it was going to drive like **** because its a truck and trucks usually have sloppy gearboxes with long shift points.

I was plesently surprised that it drove very smooth and shifts were nice and solid and the clutch wasn't too heavy either.

So far I can say I'm loving my 6mt in my wrangler and I'm glad I made that my decision.
Xs2
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 13 with 3.73 gears and a 6mt

Before this I had an Audi a4 with a 6mt also. That car was buttery smooth with crisp shift points and a light clutch.

You running stock tires? I'm looking into getting a 2.5" lift and 35's right off the lot if I can find a dealer willing to give me a good enough deal.
SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
doc5339
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2013 JKUR and I must say that the Manual Transmissions are pretty bad.

My last manuals were a 2002 VW Golf TDI and a 1976 Toyota FJ40, both shifted way better. This tranny pops out of gear, does not smoothly engage and rattles.

I am still a Manual Transmission kind of guy, just really disappointed in this Getrag Trans. For what it's worth, I feel that the 3.6l Pentastar is pretty anemic; though I never suffered with the old 3.8l minivan engine!
doc5339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
You running stock tires? I'm looking into getting a 2.5" lift and 35's right off the lot if I can find a dealer willing to give me a good enough deal.
I have a 2.5" lift and 33"s. I bought a procal also.

and if I put you into the driver seat blindfolded and told you it was stock you wouldn't notice. The power stayed the same and I can still use 6th gear.

A big reason I did 33"s was because I do a lot of road driving and I can't complain. I don't think they look small either. I contemplated 35s for a while before I desided they were overkill for me.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a 2.5" lift and 33"s. I bought a procal also.

and if I put you into the driver seat blindfolded and told you it was stock you wouldn't notice. The power stayed the same and I can still use 6th gear.

A big reason I did 33"s was because I do a lot of road driving and I can't complain. I don't think they look small either. I contemplated 35s for a while before I desided they were overkill for me.
You have 3.73 or 4.10 gears?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #23
stephen28
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have 3.73 gears idk why that guy changed it when he quoted my post lol.
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #24
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

I test drove both, I am getting the auto (tomorrow :-) ) because of a couple of reason;

1) I really did not like the feel of the 6 speed, mostly the feel of the clutch.
2) I am back into skiing and riding a bicycle, last year I broken my left arm and it was a ***** driving my Toyota truck with a manual transmission.
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #25
dreinecke
2012 JK Wrangler 

We have one of each - auto and manual. The 2013 auto is sweet and smooth. My wife and I both like shifting though, and my 2012 is a manual. I drive this one 500 miles a week into downtown Denver in traffic. Lots of stop and go. The clutch is easy and after 11k, the Jeep still shifts smoothly. I haven't had issues finding reverse, but my wife has. The only thing mine does is when "lugging" the motor a little lower in RPM it does have a slight "rattle" to the shifter, but I've now heard this in 4 other manual JK's.
2005 KJ - Daughter

www.rmsresins.com
dreinecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Enjoytheride
2013 JK Wrangler 

My last jeep was an 04 manual. I enjoy driving a manual and it was a must have at the time.

Two months ago I purchased a 13 JKU. I test drove both the manual and auto with the intention of purchasing a manual. I ended up deciding on the auto for a couple of reasons.... Mostly because an auto is an easier resale but I also thought it was a better fit for the 4 door!

Both are fun to drive!
Enjoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #27
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just test drove a manual and automatic tonight with the wife. Automatic it is! I haven't placed an order yet, but I am definitely one step closer!! The manual wasn't bad, but when I was driving it I just felt it was awkward. Don't get me wrong, but the 4 door doesn't feel like a "jeep", at least not the Jeeps I am used to. I have owned a YJ and currently have a CJ7 and a 1970 CJ5 project(that will be up for sale soon). The automatic just seemed right when it comes to the family and wife driving it. While I am confident my wife could probably handle the manual, I feel better about an automatic. I cannot wait to get an order in!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.