Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Are the Manual transmissions good or bad on the 2013 JKU's?

I am going to test drive a manual and auto 4 door JKU tonight or tomorrow. I know a lot of it comes down to personal preference and I have heard a TON of positive things about the new auto in the 2012+ JKU's. I originally was leaning toward the manual, but now I am thinking about getting the auto. I plan on having this Jeep forever and want to make the right decision...

Are there any negatives to the manual transmission other than your personal preference?

I am going to test drive both and see how they feel. I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go with the automatic, but I can't completely rule out the manual as I have never owned an automatic Jeep- Not saying that's bad - It will just be a different experience driving one I don't have to shift...

SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

I got an automatic so my wife can drive it.. im glad I did less work in trafic.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
HighlakeTJ

my dads 6-speed in his 12 (think same) is butter smooth...his is 2dr tho id go auto in 4dr but i like 2dr manual
HighlakeTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm very happy I got mine in a stick shift. Not saying I'm a speed demon, but when I do floor it, I love the control the stickshift gives you. That said, I'd say that my jeep shifts like a truck.
Monkeybomber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Auto is easier to offroad with in rough conditions. But with my stick i have come accustomed to driving in stop and go traffic by keeping it in 2nd and letting out the clutch when needed.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Cosmobull
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm in the process of trading off my 2012 JKUR manual for a 2013 auto because I hate the drive by wire with a clutch. Just test drive both before you buy, I made the mistake of ordering it before I drove it
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

might want to check out this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...nuals-1508989/

and the thread referenced within it...

I too would prefer a manual, all things being equal but have reservations w/ this one.

Now I'm strongly leaning towards an auto.
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
grady7
2013 JK Wrangler 

My JKUR only has 1200 miles, so I'm hoping the shifting will become more smooth over time. couple of nits:

- pain to get into reverse, end up in 6th sometimes, really have to force it over there.
- I spend a lot of time shifting around town with the 4.10s. i did expect that would be true until i lift and get bigger tires down the road.
- 4 to 5 shifts require concentration, although this is true of most manual cars I've owned
- in general I find i spend a lot of time thinking about my shifting to get it right in the JKU. when i'm not paying close attention, shifts are clunky
- (on the other hand) the clutch is butter compared to my TJ, YJ and CJ of past years, which was like trying to play soccer with a cinder block.

as i said, I do expect all of this to improve with more break-in and my comfort with the rig. even with these issues, I wouldn't trade it tomorrow for the same jeep in auto. there are days I wish I had auto, but on the whole I just prefer rowing and selecting my own gear.

and luckily the wife can drive a stick -- when I let her...
grady7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady7 View Post
My JKUR only has 1200 miles, so I'm hoping the shifting will become more smooth over time. couple of nits:

- pain to get into reverse, end up in 6th sometimes, really have to force it over there.
- I spend a lot of time shifting around town with the 4.10s. i did expect that would be true until i lift and get bigger tires down the road.
- 4 to 5 shifts require concentration, although this is true of most manual cars I've owned
- in general I find i spend a lot of time thinking about my shifting to get it right in the JKU. when i'm not paying close attention, shifts are clunky
- (on the other hand) the clutch is butter compared to my TJ, YJ and CJ of past years, which was like trying to play soccer with a cinder block.

as i said, I do expect all of this to improve with more break-in and my comfort with the rig. even with these issues, I wouldn't trade it tomorrow for the same jeep in auto. there are days I wish I had auto, but on the whole I just prefer rowing and selecting my own gear.

and luckily the wife can drive a stick -- when I let her...
As with all cars, the manuals are different in their own way so it takes some getting use to. Also about the reverse issue, i believe i read in the owners manual about how their is a sort of kick over switch to get into reverse, this was installed to eliminate accidentally throwing it in reverse on the highway.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
wvujaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've got about 1300 miles on my 2013 with the manual and I really like it. I will admit that sometimes I miss 6th, but I rarely go in 6th. Its a jeep its got to be manual IMO.
wvujaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Yep

The 6speed has been a good transmission since its introduction in 2005. I love mine, though an auto is fun too. The auto is stronger than the manual by a decent amount

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

My wife's first car was a stick and I'm sure she could probably drive a manual Jeep, but that is partially why I am leaning toward the automatic. It would be a whole lot less stressful letting her drive the jeep in an auto than manual. I'm going to take her with me to test drive them tomorrow and I will let her try the manual and see how she does. I know this is looking in the WAY distant future, but I have 4 1/2 year old twin girls I am thinking about letting them have this jeep when they turn 16(if the jeep is still running and in one piece). Maybe by then I will be able to upgrade to the 4 door diesel.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Yep

The 6speed has been a good transmission since its introduction in 2005. I love mine, though an auto is fun too. The auto is stronger than the manual by a decent amount

Hey Spyder - I'm looking at sport models with 3.73 gears and will be running 2.5 lift and 35's right out of the gate(I hope!). When you say the auto is stronger than the manual, is this true when it comes to the bigger tires, etc? Would the auto be a better transmission for the 35's than the manual?
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post
My wife's first car was a stick and I'm sure she could probably drive a manual Jeep, but that is partially why I am leaning toward the automatic. It would be a whole lot less stressful letting her drive the jeep in an auto than manual. I'm going to take her with me to test drive them tomorrow and I will let her try the manual and see how she does. I know this is looking in the WAY distant future, but I have 4 1/2 year old twin girls I am thinking about letting them have this jeep when they turn 16(if the jeep is still running and in one piece). Maybe by then I will be able to upgrade to the 4 door diesel.
How about a Wait for it

Van Deisel

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

It has a higher torque input rating. They'll both do well

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.