Manual transmission problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual transmission problem

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is a TSB for the 07's and 08's in regards to them having a double boot on the shifter. It seems that the inner boot is stiff enough to prevent full engagement.
I have had second gear pop out a few times in the past, I now practice firm/positive shifts with no more problems.

I don't know if this relates to your problem but more info never hurts

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
qf4phlyer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
There is a TSB for the 07's and 08's in regards to them having a double boot on the shifter. It seems that the inner boot is stiff enough to prevent full engagement
The 6 speed has an inner boot that is very stiff, it will cause the shifter to pop out of 1st and makes it difficult to shift into 2ndwhen it's cold. There is a tsb, but it doesn't solve the problem, If you have a lift, or body lift this makes it worse. There is a thread that shows how to trim the inner boot, I did it, and haven't had any issues since. I'll try to find it and post the link.
08 Wrangler X DETN8R Yellow Rough Country 2.5" progressive rate coil lift, 2.2 shocks. 1.25" body lift, disco's, steering stabilizer. Benchmark EVAP skid. TeraFlex front bumper with shackles. 35x12.5x15 BFG A/T KO's on MB72 wheels.Cobra 75 on a Firestik. Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount. Ward bug shield, DayStar hood wranglers, upper dash panel. Qtech arm rest.

2002 Wrangler Sahara RIP
1979 CJ 7 258 RIP
1975 Cherokee S 401 RIP
qf4phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
qf4phlyer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift Problem. - Page 5 - JK-Forum.com - The Ultimate Jeep JK Wrangler Bulletin Board

This shows the steps on how and what to trim.
08 Wrangler X DETN8R Yellow Rough Country 2.5" progressive rate coil lift, 2.2 shocks. 1.25" body lift, disco's, steering stabilizer. Benchmark EVAP skid. TeraFlex front bumper with shackles. 35x12.5x15 BFG A/T KO's on MB72 wheels.Cobra 75 on a Firestik. Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount. Ward bug shield, DayStar hood wranglers, upper dash panel. Qtech arm rest.

2002 Wrangler Sahara RIP
1979 CJ 7 258 RIP
1975 Cherokee S 401 RIP
qf4phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just wondering - how much would it cost to fix/replace the first gear syncro with a regular auto mechanic?

Mine happens almost once every 2-3 months, but I'm out of warranty and the 2nd owner so I don't have the lifetime powertrain. If this ever gets really bad I'm just wondering how much mula it would cost to fix it in the future.
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
kudah

There is a new TSB for this issue now. If they can confirm that the shift boot is not causing the problem then they will replace the 1-2 synchronizer.

Chrysler is paying 5.4 hours to replace the synchro.. a shop will likely charge 8-9 hours labor.
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #21
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
There is a new TSB for this issue now. If they can confirm that the shift boot is not causing the problem then they will replace the 1-2 synchronizer.

Chrysler is paying 5.4 hours to replace the synchro.. a shop will likely charge 8-9 hours labor.
hmm so 5.4 hours @ $90/hour would cost roughly $490 at the dealership. That's actually not too bad. Now I just wonder how much the parts would cost. Thanks
Unread 03-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is the TSB in question...they will only replace the 1/2 synchronizer with a "field fix" synchronizer..

USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
kudah

The dealership is not going to fix it for 5.4 hours if you have to pay for it. They are going to book rate the labor time just like any other shop. 5.4 hours is what Chrysler pays for a warranty repair
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #24
joeranger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone done this? Are there any tips on dealing with the service dept?
joeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeranger View Post
Has anyone done this? Are there any tips on dealing with the service dept?
In another forum, (on the same subject) I read that the repair with the service synchronizer fix was successful.. I am convinced that the transmission OEM resolved the issue.

Be informed once you walk into your dealership.. have a copy of the TSB with you and not bad to have as background material a few copies of all the posts here and in other forums..
Unread 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
joeranger
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I called my local dealer and they were not familiar with the fix. I had brought it in before and they were unaware of the issue. I brought the printout from the forum and they said, "Oh, you read this on the INTERNET?"

The issue will be if they can replicate the problem. Then they can order the parts for it. I might wait a bit to see more responses.
joeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

I took mine in for this today and they're ordering me a new transmission now
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #28
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Here is the TSB in question...they will only replace the 1/2 synchronizer with a "field fix" synchronizer..

This TSB has been updated ... follow thread here..
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #29
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a warranty claim to me... try another dealer, you'd be surprised how much of an a-hole one can be and how nice as pie another might be.

What you don't want to do is "learn to live with it", then get past your warranty (unless u have lifetime of course), and have the synchro (or whatever else is causing it) totally be destroyed and never let you in, or out of first.

Then it would be pretty much undrivable and on your dime to fix...

Had syncrho issues with 3rd in my old 350z (yeah yeah not a jeep) and had it replaced under warranty with 35,600 miles on it (when warranty expired at 36,000) LOL. However, mine was to the point that it would do it every shift into 3rd over 3500 RPM or so (never below), so it was easy to duplicate.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeranger View Post
The issue will be if they can replicate the problem. Then they can order the parts for it. I might wait a bit to see more responses.
You could give them something to replicate pretty easily I would think, if you really wanted to... Abuse first gear until it fails anyone? Haha.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.