Manual transmission problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual transmission problem

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
ndanie3
2009 JK Wrangler 

Manual transmission problem

My '09 JK regularly kicks me out of first gear. I start letting out the clutch and going sometime fully letting out the clutch and then it kicks out of first gear. Dealer said they couldn't repeat the problem. Any suggestions?

ndanie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Synchros hold the trans in gear. If they go bad, it will pop out of gear. Try a new dealer, or drive it yourself with the tech in the passenger seat and show him. Are you sure its fully engaged into 1st?
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
ndanie3
2009 JK Wrangler 

Very sure its fully engaged. I've driven alot of manuals in my life and this is the first problem like this for me... What are synchros?
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Synchros synchronize your gears inside the transmission. They allow you to downshift, and hold the trans into gear. You have to show the dealer, I doubt its the problem on an 09, it usually takes a long time to waer those down, and if you drive a manual for a while, and know how.....again more doubtful. Oh yeah, welcome to JF. Lots of cool people here, even more good info.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
ndanie3
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! Synchros might have something to do with it though as you said its not likely a wear problem since i've only got 12K on it. Sometimes it also seems not to want to let me in first gear... These problems seem to happen only every 50 miles or so sometimes and then one day it will happen ten times.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndanie3 View Post
Sometimes it also seems not to want to let me in first gear... These problems seem to happen only every 50 miles or so sometimes and then one day it will happen ten times.
Slave. Throw snakes at them, warranty item.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had the same problem since I got my JK and I'm now at 25k miles.

1. Doesn't let me in 1st sometimes.
2. Going from 1st to 2nd is "crunchy" and "rough".
3. The popping out of gear hasn't happened in forever, but it happened a few times when I first got the jeep.

I've learned to live with it, but it still bugs me.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

mine does this sometimes...I've got about 2000 miles on mine now
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
ndanie3
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine also did from the get go.
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've gotten in the habbit of giving the shift knob a light "double push" to make sure it's in 1st all the way when I shift. Most of the time when it pops out I realize I didn't have it in first all the way.
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does the JK have synchronized first gear? I've always been told (and it works, too!), when a transmission won't go in gear and you are at a dead stop, let the clutch out to the point that it starts to engage and it will go right in gear.

What I've noticed with our JK is the opposite, it won't come OUT of first gear unless I try shifting when the driveline is "slop" ing.
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #12
CDavisJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine has done it twice going slow in first from a stop sign. It is REALLY LOUD when it pops out, they whole car shakes. My girlfriend thought another car had hit us in the parking lot, haha! But, it hasn't happened again recently. I make sure to push the clutch to the floor and I jam it into first real good.
CDavisJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavisJK View Post
Mine has done it twice going slow in first from a stop sign. It is REALLY LOUD when it pops out, they whole car shakes. My girlfriend thought another car had hit us in the parking lot, haha! But, it hasn't happened again recently. I make sure to push the clutch to the floor and I jam it into first real good.
this is what I started doing...every now and then I forget then BOOM! it shoots out of first lol
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
quag1509
2010 JK Wrangler 

Happens to me often... The best was when I was driving out of my parking garage and the gate was lifting up and right as I went under the gear popped out and I was like oh S%$# I hit it... but it just popped out!

Last edited by quag1509; 02-17-2010 at 03:13 PM..
quag1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
BullandTerrier
2009 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the club.

Tags
manual transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.