JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Manual transmission problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/manual-transmission-problem-973779/)

ndanie3 02-17-2010 09:30 AM

Manual transmission problem

My '09 JK regularly kicks me out of first gear. I start letting out the clutch and going sometime fully letting out the clutch and then it kicks out of first gear. Dealer said they couldn't repeat the problem. Any suggestions?:confused:

mikebigh 02-17-2010 09:49 AM

Synchros hold the trans in gear. If they go bad, it will pop out of gear. Try a new dealer, or drive it yourself with the tech in the passenger seat and show him. Are you sure its fully engaged into 1st?

ndanie3 02-17-2010 09:53 AM

Very sure its fully engaged. I've driven alot of manuals in my life and this is the first problem like this for me... What are synchros?

mikebigh 02-17-2010 10:03 AM

Synchros synchronize your gears inside the transmission. They allow you to downshift, and hold the trans into gear. You have to show the dealer, I doubt its the problem on an 09, it usually takes a long time to waer those down, and if you drive a manual for a while, and know how.....again more doubtful. Oh yeah, welcome to JF. Lots of cool people here, even more good info.

ndanie3 02-17-2010 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info! Synchros might have something to do with it though as you said its not likely a wear problem since i've only got 12K on it. Sometimes it also seems not to want to let me in first gear... These problems seem to happen only every 50 miles or so sometimes and then one day it will happen ten times.

mikebigh 02-17-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndanie3 (Post 8910615)
Sometimes it also seems not to want to let me in first gear... These problems seem to happen only every 50 miles or so sometimes and then one day it will happen ten times.

Slave. Throw snakes at them, warranty item.

warCryr 02-17-2010 10:53 AM

I've had the same problem since I got my JK and I'm now at 25k miles.

1. Doesn't let me in 1st sometimes.
2. Going from 1st to 2nd is "crunchy" and "rough".
3. The popping out of gear hasn't happened in forever, but it happened a few times when I first got the jeep.

I've learned to live with it, but it still bugs me.

boostedboxer 02-17-2010 10:57 AM

mine does this sometimes...I've got about 2000 miles on mine now

ndanie3 02-17-2010 11:00 AM

Mine also did from the get go.

dirtyjpwrangler 02-17-2010 11:10 AM

I've gotten in the habbit of giving the shift knob a light "double push" to make sure it's in 1st all the way when I shift. Most of the time when it pops out I realize I didn't have it in first all the way.

Millermagic 02-17-2010 11:20 AM

Does the JK have synchronized first gear? I've always been told (and it works, too!), when a transmission won't go in gear and you are at a dead stop, let the clutch out to the point that it starts to engage and it will go right in gear.

What I've noticed with our JK is the opposite, it won't come OUT of first gear unless I try shifting when the driveline is "slop" ing.

CDavisJK 02-17-2010 11:31 AM

Mine has done it twice going slow in first from a stop sign. It is REALLY LOUD when it pops out, they whole car shakes. My girlfriend thought another car had hit us in the parking lot, haha! But, it hasn't happened again recently. I make sure to push the clutch to the floor and I jam it into first real good.

boostedboxer 02-17-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDavisJK (Post 8911166)
Mine has done it twice going slow in first from a stop sign. It is REALLY LOUD when it pops out, they whole car shakes. My girlfriend thought another car had hit us in the parking lot, haha! But, it hasn't happened again recently. I make sure to push the clutch to the floor and I jam it into first real good.

this is what I started doing...every now and then I forget then BOOM! it shoots out of first lol

quag1509 02-17-2010 12:06 PM

Happens to me often... The best was when I was driving out of my parking garage and the gate was lifting up and right as I went under the gear popped out and I was like oh S%$# I hit it... but it just popped out!

BullandTerrier 02-20-2010 12:11 AM

Welcome to the club.

The time now is 05:17 PM.