Manual Tranny Issues new 2012 JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual Tranny Issues new 2012 JK

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to jeep standard transmissions. They're difficult to get used to, but you WILL get used to them.
My 2012 actually seems a little more twitchy than my 2010 with the 3.8 and its pretty weak out of the gate. It doesn't help that the engine is so quiet that it's hard to feel where things are.
Yeah...got to hang out for a second and wind her up, then things work just fine.

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgod
Standard 18" Rim's and tires that come with the Sahara and 3.73 gears
Cool. Just checking to see if you had 37s on 3.73.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Compgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Welcome to jeep standard transmissions. They're difficult to get used to, but you WILL get used to them.
My 2012 actually seems a little more twitchy than my 2010 with the 3.8 and its pretty weak out of the gate. It doesn't help that the engine is so quiet that it's hard to feel where things are.
Yeah...got to hang out for a second and wind her up, then things work just fine.
Had a 2001 TJ Stick, was a cakewalk to drive compared to this
Compgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
fltsfshr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgod View Post
Had a 2001 TJ Stick, was a cakewalk to drive compared to this
I agree

I've had 2 jeeps before this...both were far better shifting. I'd like to know how you turn off the hill start assist? Is there a fuse I can pull?

I'd like to know if that's what causes it. I live on flat ground. I have no hills.

fltsfshr
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
ncb

I believe it's in the owners manual. You can download a free copy at Jeep.com if you didn't get one with the Jeep.

If you live on flat land this isn't the problem. HSA is only active when on an incline.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

IT's not hill start assist... It's just they way they are.
I have no experience with the older jeeps, only the newer ones. You're just going to have to deal with it....
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #22
cope1264
2012 JK Wrangler 

Took me sometime to get use to the clutch in my 2012 but now that I've had it for about a month it's not bad at all and I'm in a hilly area on a college campus.
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #23
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
I believe it's in the owners manual. You can download a free copy at Jeep.com if you didn't get one with the Jeep.
Yeah, the steering wheel dance is listed in the owners manual. It probably isn't the problem you're having, but it's still worth disabling if you aren't a nincompoop with a clutch.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
wile_coyote
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltsfshr View Post
I agree

I've had 2 jeeps before this...both were far better shifting. I'd like to know how you turn off the hill start assist? Is there a fuse I can pull?

I'd like to know if that's what causes it. I live on flat ground. I have no hills.

fltsfshr
Check your evic under "personal settings" and there should be an option in there.

I believe it is the hill assist, which keeps the brakes applied for a brief period. Not too hard to get used to.
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's my understanding that all years of the JK manual transmission are very touchy. It took some time for me to get use to it and there is very little chance of recovery when it begins to stall. The electronic throttle will however maintain the idle rpm when the clutch is let out carefully and no accelerator input applied.
The ultimate solution is to re-gear the axles to something more appropriate. After re-gearing mine to 4.88/1 the clutch is no longer a problem even with 35" tires and I suspect that 37" tires will be fine too.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #26
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Similar issues for me. I disabled HSA, regeared to 4.10 with 32s, and added the sprintbooster. It is so much better now but still not great. It is what it is and after 4 months I still stall it a few times a week. Wish I had bought the auto.
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
Similar issues for me. I disabled HSA, regeared to 4.10 with 32s, and added the sprintbooster. It is so much better now but still not great. It is what it is and after 4 months I still stall it a few times a week. Wish I had bought the auto.
If I ever say that, shoot me.

I got used to the 3.8 pretty quick, it just happens. You don't even really notice it...just one day, you're shifting like a rock star...

Hang in there. You'll get it.

That being said..... Still getting used to the 3.6......
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
It's my understanding that all years of the JK manual transmission are very touchy.
I had the same NSG370 6 speed in my LJ, and yes, the usable clutch is about 1/4" at the top of the travel (the rest of the travel does nothing) due to the design of the hydraulic mechanism, and yes, it goes clunk clunk CRUNCH as its typical mode of operation. When I got my '012 JK, I said F that and got the 5-speed automatic, which thus far I've been quite happy with.
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

my 4th gear pops out if i don't set it very firmly. jeeps just don't have great manuals, compared to most other vehicles. def not the easiest manual i have ever had. i also wish i had got an automatic. probably one of the main reasons i am selling on my 1 month old jeep.
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
badtux
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
my 4th gear pops out if i don't set it very firmly
It's a German medium truck transmission, the same transmission used in the Sprinter trucks in Europe. It requires Germanic firmness in its shifts. And yes, this is normal for this transmission, both the dealer and an independent Jeep mechanic that I trust drove my Jeep and said, "yup, normal." There's some folks who claim to have tamed the beast with a fluid change, but invariably they had transmission problems down the road. I changed the factory fill on my old Jeep at 60K just to do it, with fresh factory fill, and the fluid that came out was identical to the fluid that went in and there was just a normal amount of metal fuzz on the magnetic drain plug and the new fluid didn't tame the shifts at all, so (shrug). It's just how it is.

But prior to the A580 automatic in the new 2012's it was the best transmission available for Jeeps in terms of its gear ratios. 1st gear is an ultra-low crawl gear and 6th gear is a mild but not wild overdrive. The old automatic's gear ratios were terrible, you had to go to 5.10 gears just to deal with 35 inch tires, whereas with the manual you could do 35 inch tires quite well with 4.56 gears. Of course with the new Pentastar and the new automatic, which combined with the torque converter has effectively even lower gearing than the NSG370, you can do 35 inch tires quite well with the OEM 4.10 gears on the Rubicon (assuming you pay the $50 it costs to upgrade to the 4.10 gears on the automatic Rubi, which is a no-brainer because it costs a heckuva lot more to upgrade gears *after* the Jeep is built). So the only reason to get the NSG370, in my opinion, went away in 2012 when the Wrangler finally got an automatic with decent gear ratios, which is why I got the automatic in my new Wrangler and I definitely give it , Jeep's engineers did a great job especially in 4Lo where they use the variable clutches and variable torque converter lockup to make it smooth, smooth, smooth when you're rock crawling.

Tags
2012 , clutch , manual , standard

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.