Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #31
Angryman

I initially asked "JeepCares" on here about the issue but have gotten no response, as expected. I called the Jeep Customer Assistance and told them that I was nearly t-boned last night because it popped out of gear and would not go back in right away and I have also filed a complaint with my State Attorney General. Nothing will change until someone starts a class action lawsuit. My next action is painting some choice words on my JK like LEMON etc. and parking it in front of the local Chrysler dealer for everyone to see as they pull in.

Angryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had many manual vehicles, usually 500$ pieces of crap and almost all of them, toyotas, AMC Eagle, Chevys, Dodge's....would pop out of gear occasionally. I chalked it up to an old transmission, but this problem is by no means isolated to Chrysler.
I was aware of a few people that were having this problem over the past few years, but It sounds like they do have a continuous low level issue. (but 6 people on a discussion forum do not constitute a trend or a large scale problem.)
The TSB dates back to 2010, so it most likely started with the 2007's. And, as stated....a corporation absolutely will NOT initiate a large scale operation until the problem FORCES them to. That's just the way it is and that is the same across any corporation.
I've mentioned this before, but continue to find it interesting... Ford was aware of the Pinto exlploding issue and their lawyers weighed the cost of a recall against a wrongful death suit. They actually intentionally decided that killing someone would be cheaper than recalling the car.
Yay for corporations. The humans hide behind their policies and as long as the wheelbarrows full of cash continue to roll in, they will do NOTHING.
If you hate Chrysler, then vote with your wallet and don't buy another one. You run the risk of this type of issue with ANY manufacturer at some level.
That being said....if you have the problem, call your dealer, make them aware of the TSB and see where it goes. That is really all you can do.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Angryman

Your right. Funny thing is I have been a "Chrysler" man since I was 16 and had a '72 Dodge Challenger, in fact I have owned more of their products than any other. Everything made now is so cheaply made, we have really lost sight of what quality is all about.
Angryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine was kicking out so bad, that you couldn't start up in first without your hand on the shifter, or it would violently pop out of gear. I had to apply constant pressure and be easy with the clutch to keep it in 1st gear. Took it to the shop this summer, $1,200 (employee pricing) later the transmission had been torn down, syncros replaced and put back together. No problems now. Wish I would have gotten better warranty

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #35
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson0717 View Post
I am driving a '11 wrangler, just a few random times I've had it pop out of gear. It certainly doesn't happen often, and it could of been an error in my driving. I just want to know if anyone has information on if this has been "fixed" in the '11s? TSB only states 08-10.
Yup mine was fixed by the dealer with a TSB, it only happens when its about 10C out, turned out it was the rubber boots innner and outer for the shifter.

I almost didn't buy the Jeep last year because the problem was so bad.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #36
jso902
JK Wrangler 

take your car in.
ask them if they can guarantee that you won't be t-boned while turning left and having a gear pop out. have them put it on paper, and tell them that this seems to be a safety issue. Makes toyota's sliding carpet look like
i took mine up to the sales manager and he nudged the service guy to approve it.
good luck
2 weeks later, a tacky lightning blue hhs and i get a completely rebuilt transmission
jso902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #37
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hi guys, I took in my Jeep JKUR 2008 in for service on Monday, and picked it up yesterday. They changed the synchro mesh, everything seems fine except it started an annoying whine in 4 th gear. Anyone know or encounter this problem before. Anyone who has info or knowledge from experience. It will be much appreciated. Thank you.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
jso902
JK Wrangler 

take it back; why would you tolerate a messed up job. better now than later
jso902 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #39
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is a TSB fix, had my tranny rebuilt per the TSB at no cost and given a free loaner car at about 13K miles and two years ownership...no problems after, tranny refilled with synthetic fluid and job done right! Dick HAnnah Chrysler-Jeep of Vancouver , wA (also my delivering dealer) did the fix! took two days..
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #40
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just for information purposes my 05 Rubicoon 6speed does this as well. The only time I notice it is in low range 1st gear while engine braking down steep grades. First time it happened I nearly lost control and plowed a tree while wheeling. It has happened several times since then, but now I'm ready for it and know what to do. Its not often but it is reoccurring issue, 48k miles on it 2nd owner and not beat to my knowledge. I've never even owned an auto until I bought my XJ a couple years ago, and I know it is not a driver error( at least not my error) previous owner maybe.

This spans more years than the TSB states I believe...... just a thought.
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
fxbrry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Lots of info on this. Did a search on 'popping out of gear' and got lots of hits. Here are a couple to get you started.
My 08 had the same problem and the dealer rebuilt my tranny under the Lifetime Powertrain. If you are the original owner, you should be covered.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...t-gear-820803/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...-gear-1255711/

Also, here's the TSB on the problem.

My 07 has been doing this for about a year. After reading this post I printed out the TSB and took my Jeep and the TSB to the dealer. My Jeep has 77,000 miles so obviously the factory warranty was expired. My extended warranty has about 5k miles and 4 months left. I showed the TSB to the technician and explained what was happening. It may go 3 weeks without doing it then it may do it 3 times in one day. He said to leave it and they would check it out. He called me a couple hours later and said that the extended warranty company was going to send someone out to check it out. That was last Friday. Well today I got a call from the dealer and said that the warranty company could not recreate the problem ( shocker ) but the dealer actually stood up for me since I took the TSB in and they showed it to the warranty company and said that it needed to be fixed. The warranty company wanted to replace the entire transmission with a used remanufactured one. Again the dealer stood up for me and said "No" that the TSB said to replace the 1st gear and synchros, the warranty company finally agreed and I should have my jeep fixed and back by the end of the week. All it is going to cost me is my $100 deductible. I have huge props to everyone on JF for their knowledge and input and especially for posting the TSB.
fxbrry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #42
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Popping out of FIRST fear is usually the synchro/fork issue and requires the Tranny TSB rebuild, popping out of "other" gears is usually caused by the inner boot. The pop outa first is quite "violent" compared to the other gearsw and can be quite dangerous. My dealer in Vancouver, WA did a superb job checking the TSB I referred them to and removing, opening and rebuilding the tranny....I've had 4 warranty repairs, all via TSB's the sun visors, Tranny and 2 computer reflashes (the flashes though disable the ECO dash lite and remove it from operation no other repairs or problems to fix! 21K miles and averaging a solid 20 MPG too..
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #43
ajglazema

Tagged for referance
ajglazema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #44
inspmark
2011 JK Wrangler 

Mine was popping out of first when I got it. First, I thought it was me, but was very careful when shifting. There was a definite problem, dealer fixed it under the NY "lemon law". It's been good, seems a little noisy, they changed synchro's, the fork ***'y, TOB, misc seals and clips. TSB says to replace first gear also, which they did not do. I'm bummed about that, but at least it was all under warranty. What's really strange, is for about 4000 miles, any noises were consistent, then one morning, it had a knock sound when first started, would shift and drive OK, then after a couple cycles of starting the jeep, running through the gears with the TC in neutral, it got noticeably quieter, and still shifts / drive fine.
inspmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #45
jmstutz883

Jeep 6 speed pops out of 1st gear

After seeing how many people had issues even shortly after the synchro replacement, I did my own research. I found that in my Rubicon the shifter was putting a slight forward (towards 2nd) pressure on the shift rail when in first gear. Even with full engagement, the stick has to stay in its detent and the shifter is not properly aligned from the factory. I measured the width of the shifter foot (not necessarily the exact nomenclature) at about .590 inches and the distance between the fore and aft shift points of the shift rails in the transmission at about .620. this gives a distance of about .030. The parts are cast and have rough areas so it's hard to be super precise. I sanded about .010 off of the forward edge (which engages the part of the shift rail going to 2nd gear) and reshaped the bevel on the side and top to mimic stock. The top is pretty important because when shifted, the top of the shifting area is the interference area. Then I welded a bead on the aft section and sanded/shaped until the shifter measured .600. The overall effect is a .010 widening of the shifter (enough to gain some engagement without causing interference) and a shift of the shifter centerline towards the rear. This has completely eliminated my transmission's tendency to jump out of first. Hope this helps.
jmstutz883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.