Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
Angryman

no answers I guess. Oh well.

Angryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

The answer is its a defect in the transmission parts, rebuilding with the same parts will net the same result. Not sure if the 12+ tranny does it too but its not too different from the 07-11 tranny internally.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #18
DiscoBayJoe
Beer is Food!

2008 JK Wrangler 

Chrystler rebuilt my tranny at 90K+ miles for this issue last year. 2008 JK.
Unread 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #19
jakesteel1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
If you are the original owner, you should be covered.
What if youre (gulp) not the original owner?
jakesteel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
RockHard07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Had this problem with my fourth gear. The issue in mine was with the shift fork assembly. At the rear of the shift fork assebly is a flat piece that mounts to the case and all the shift forks ride inside with a plastic insert. A small chunk of the plastic insert broke off causing my fourth gear to only engage part of the time and pop out of gear. Had to buy the whole assembly from Chrysler for around 480.
Wish i didn't throw the old parts away so i would have pictures.
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
RockHard07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you may have a similar issue. Feels like it goes into gear but when you let out the clutch it grinds?
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
Tyson0717
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am driving a '11 wrangler, just a few random times I've had it pop out of gear. It certainly doesn't happen often, and it could of been an error in my driving. I just want to know if anyone has information on if this has been "fixed" in the '11s? TSB only states 08-10.
Tyson0717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Cares mine recently started to pop out of second gear I am the second owner. Am I stuck paying for this or will the TSP cover it.
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHard07
Had this problem with my fourth gear. The issue in mine was with the shift fork assembly. At the rear of the shift fork assebly is a flat piece that mounts to the case and all the shift forks ride inside with a plastic insert. A small chunk of the plastic insert broke off causing my fourth gear to only engage part of the time and pop out of gear. Had to buy the whole assembly from Chrysler for around 480.
Wish i didn't throw the old parts away so i would have pictures.
How many miles were on it at the time? My new 2012 occasionally only partially engages fourth and also pops out of fourth every now and then. WTF is with all the cheapo plastic parts with the trans and transfer case shifting linkages. Cheap junk!
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
RockHard07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw

How many miles were on it at the time? My new 2012 occasionally only partially engages fourth and also pops out of fourth every now and then. WTF is with all the cheapo plastic parts with the trans and transfer case shifting linkages. Cheap junk!
I think i had about 75k on it. I have 84k now. I also was asking myself the same question. Why put plastic parts in a transmission of all places?
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
fxbrry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Lots of info on this. Did a search on 'popping out of gear' and got lots of hits. Here are a couple to get you started.
My 08 had the same problem and the dealer rebuilt my tranny under the Lifetime Powertrain. If you are the original owner, you should be covered.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...t-gear-820803/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...-gear-1255711/

Also, here's the TSB on the problem.
I have been having this issue on my 2007 Rubicon for the past 2 yrs. I have 77K miles. It started doing this only in 1st gear but has recently started doing this in 3rd gear also. I called the dealer where I bought it and explained the problem. I also told him about the TSB and read it off to him. He said to bring it in and he was positive that it would be covered under my extended warranty. I printed off the TSB to take with me when I drop it off.
fxbrry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

The "answer" is that if you have a problem, take it to the dealer and have it looked at. The internet is not going to fix your transmission.
This is not a brand new problem that has never existed before...
Manual Transmissions are run by humans who sometimes to dumb and or aggressvie things to them. That is the sticking point with this issue.
You can break your shift linkage, tweak a shift fork, grind your synchromesh to dust, a dozen things to a manual transmission. If you're not the original owner, you have no idea how your tranny was treated.
It is what it is.... If it's popping out of gear, it's not going to fix itself, so do your homework. Talk to a local shop and see what their opinion is, talk to your dealer and see if you're covered under warranty. If you are the original owner or still have residual warranty, then it should be covered. It sounds like if you have an intelligent discussion with your dealer and make them aware of the TSB you might be covered anyway.
One "problem" with these tranny's is that the shifter lever is so long, it allows for a very large amount of force to be applied to the shift mechanism....meaning that it's alot easier to seriously mess things up if you're not careful. It's a Jeep, not a dragster.
I was talking to someone the other day who asked me if I ever shifted without the clutch. (powershifting is the only term that comes to mind and that's wrong..) I'm thinking....NO, are you an idiot?
WHY would you want to do that to your transmission?
Manual trannys right up to the shift box are nearly bulletproof, it's the human interface that is usually the problem. Not saying always...just usually....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
fxbrry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
The "answer" is that if you have a problem, take it to the dealer and have it looked at. The internet is not going to fix your transmission.
This is not a brand new problem that has never existed before...
Manual Transmissions are run by humans who sometimes to dumb and or aggressvie things to them. That is the sticking point with this issue.
You can break your shift linkage, tweak a shift fork, grind your synchromesh to dust, a dozen things to a manual transmission. If you're not the original owner, you have no idea how your tranny was treated.
It is what it is.... If it's popping out of gear, it's not going to fix itself, so do your homework. Talk to a local shop and see what their opinion is, talk to your dealer and see if you're covered under warranty. If you are the original owner or still have residual warranty, then it should be covered. It sounds like if you have an intelligent discussion with your dealer and make them aware of the TSB you might be covered anyway.
One "problem" with these tranny's is that the shifter lever is so long, it allows for a very large amount of force to be applied to the shift mechanism....meaning that it's alot easier to seriously mess things up if you're not careful. It's a Jeep, not a dragster.
I was talking to someone the other day who asked me if I ever shifted without the clutch. (powershifting is the only term that comes to mind and that's wrong..) I'm thinking....NO, are you an idiot?
WHY would you want to do that to your transmission?
Manual trannys right up to the shift box are nearly bulletproof, it's the human interface that is usually the problem. Not saying always...just usually....

I'm the original owner. Ive had several manual transmission vehicle, the last one being a 2006 TJ with the 6 speed manual and Ive never had problems like this. This is definately not operator error and is a problem with the transmission. I will be taking it in next week. I recently had the plastic shifter linkage on the 4x4 shifter replaced after it broke. I was shifting from 4 low to 2 hi in my back yard when that broke. I replaced it with the Advanced Adapters metal linkage. I know that is unrelated but wanted to throw that in there.
fxbrry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've owned several manual transmission vehicles, most of them longer throw truck transmissions and never had any issues like this. Some brand new, some with over 280k original miles. The transmission on my brand jk shifts worse than any of them and I'm the original owner.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
Angryman

I have owned and operated manual transmissions my entire life and aside from an old CJ with a synchro problem I have never had any problems like this so there is no excuse. Bottom line is Chrysler/Jeep has a defective product that spans several years and vehicles and it needs to be fixed. Just like the fuel filler problem and gas spraying out, there is a TSB on that that they are fixing for free no matter what owner. This transmission problem affects who knows how many owners and they will not do anything until someone gets killed and are facing a lawsuit.
Angryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.