Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 07-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
Jeepster08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Manual 6 speed trans Pops out of first gear

I started having problems with my manual 6 speed trans. The first time it did it i thought i got hit from behind. It poped out and scared the crap out of me. Not sure if there is a clutch adjustment on this jeep. 2008 JK Wrangler 2 door 3.8 V 6. Now its just pisses me off whenit does it. Feels like the clutch will not let it go fully in 1st gear. I have to check it serveral times to make sure it's in gear or not. Anyone else having this problem. Only 64K on it as of now. Does it need a new clutch or adjustment?

Jeepster08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Lots of info on this. Did a search on 'popping out of gear' and got lots of hits. Here are a couple to get you started.
My 08 had the same problem and the dealer rebuilt my tranny under the Lifetime Powertrain. If you are the original owner, you should be covered.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...t-gear-820803/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...-gear-1255711/

Also, here's the TSB on the problem.
1.jpg   2.jpg  
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
nickmonaco
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 2010 did that. Among its other problems this was one of the most annoying.
[B][/B][I][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/I]WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully you got a warranty with your Jeep when you bought it. The same thing happened to me and it only cost me the $100 deductible and tax on the rental car. If you don't have a warranty I hope you have a good credit limit on your card.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

This happened to me a couple times when I first got it, I've just been sure to fully get into first every time and hasn't happened in 5k miles, good to know theres a tsb tough
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
im-ocd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tagged for reference.
im-ocd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster08 View Post
I started having problems with my manual 6 speed trans. The first time it did it i thought i got hit from behind. It poped out and scared the crap out of me. Not sure if there is a clutch adjustment on this jeep. 2008 JK Wrangler 2 door 3.8 V 6. Now its just pisses me off whenit does it. Feels like the clutch will not let it go fully in 1st gear. I have to check it serveral times to make sure it's in gear or not. Anyone else having this problem. Only 64K on it as of now. Does it need a new clutch or adjustment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWrangler View Post
Hopefully you got a warranty with your Jeep when you bought it. The same thing happened to me and it only cost me the $100 deductible and tax on the rental car.
Jeepster - are you the original owner, or did you buy it used?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the same problem, but I got mine used. JeepCares, is there anything that can be done in my situation.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

tagged for reference as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
I have the same problem, but I got mine used. JeepCares, is there anything that can be done in my situation.
PM me the last eight characters of your VIN, your real name and current mileage.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Angryman

Looking for some help with this 6 speed transmission kicking out of gear issue.
Angryman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
DonosJeep

I had an 09 Rubicon that did this. After much discussion with the dealer and the regional rep, they blamed the issue on me as a driver. They replaced several boots and internal parts but the problem still persisted. It's tough to spend that kinda money on a vehicle and have the dealer and Mfg tell you " it's your driving style". The 50 year old Porsche I drive doesn't do it, the 20 year old Mazda truck doesn't do it but my new jeep does. Driver error, yeah right!! There is a major problem with this tranny design. Until someone gets killed in because of this, they will keep burying their head in the sand and pass it off to the end user. I ended up buying a new Rubi auto. This is my 6th jeep. I'm not new to the "Jeep thing"!! Piss poor customer service from the dealer and the service rep WILL cost jeep in the long run!!
I have been Blessed by The Reverend Horton Heat!!!
That Freakin Banana cracks me up!!!!
DonosJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
rolandthegypsy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Jeepster - are you the original owner, or did you buy it used?
Hi my name is roland. My question for you Lee is, can you give me the tsb number and is this tsb valid in canada.
rolandthegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
Angryman

I think I am going to use a paint marker and write some choice comments on my Jeep and park it at the dealership as well as drive it around as a billboard, maybe drive off some business. I guess I could file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and my state attorney general. We need to get a class action lawsuit going against them.
To me it should not matter which owner or how many miles, it is a known defect spanning several years and models and they need to stand behind their product. Not the first issue I had with a Chrysler product; I used to work for a Chrysler dealer as a salesman and as a service manager and I have seen many issues. I have been driving and building Jeeps for over 20 years, the best thing that could happen is for GM or Ford to start building them, quality would definitely go up.
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Angryman

I swore off Buick for a similiar issue and I will do the same with Chrysler I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.