Make your JK a snow monster! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Make your JK a snow monster!

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #61
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
The winch is great... but if you don't have one (can't afford one), get the saw. It's a lot easier to jack up the jeep and stick logs under the tires than to dig out the jeep - TRUST ME on this!
Agreed. Logs and branches will get you out of a ton of trouble. (But only cut up dead wood, return them after, leave no trace, etc. etc.)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #62
wrongagain
2007 JK Wrangler 

As one Boston area person to another, everything said so far is about on the mark.
First thing you are going to need is this,...

"The Wicked Good Guide to Boston English", A-B | Universal Hub

Now that we have that straightened out,
If you actually live in the city when someone shovels out a space and puts lawn chair out to mark it as their own, don't screw with it, or you will be buying new tires, windshields, etc as payback, I kid you not.
Never break down in the breakdown lanes on rte 128, aka rte 95, aka rte 93, why you ask,... well, someone, at some point, made them travel lanes as well as breakdown lanes, Get Off The Road.
Studs are legal nov.-apr.
You will need more sets of boots and gloves than you will tire chains.
I have carried tire chains for years in case I got stuck out on one of the jobs in the middle of nowhere, and have never put them on yet.
I used the winch more than I thought I would, but never chains.
On the roads in the snow its not your ability to drive, its every moron who thinks all wheel drive means warp speed.
Or the kid in a $25.00 toyota corolla with $6000.00 tires and rims who is stuck on a flat road causing a 3 hour back up, so you run out of gas because you were only 10 minutes away from where you needed to be and will get gas later.
Do a google search on the blizzard of 1978 and look at the pics of the highways, it looked a Canadian blizzard, people stuck on the road for days.
Always have a full tank in the winter, and its also free weight for extra traction.
O.k, I'm done with my Boston snow rant for now.
Time for more coffee.
wrongagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:13 AM   #63
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
i never drive in 4x4 on the road in snow. if you lose traction in rwd its alot easier to recover than in 4x4. its a little more tedious to drive, but safer
You're kidding right? Perhaps you need to get better tires.
Unread 09-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #64
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

In all honesty, my MINI Cooper is better on-road in snow than my Jeep. Up to its ground clearance of 3" that is.
I have some dedicated snows/wheels for it and they're like velcro.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #65
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

it may have been mentioned but worth mentioning again.

I live in snow country, have all my life, just a few of my thoughts.

4x4 on the city streets and highways, pretty much forget it with the jeep. 2WD and you ESP system is the way to go. The jeep 4x4 is too aggressive, and will cause you to have less control. instead of just 2 wheels slipping in the rear causing a loss in forward momentum you still have the front wheels having traction and allowing you to steer. Winter driving is not as much about going forward but rather keeping it on the road.

Exception is after a fresh snow storm, if there is loose snow on the road 4wd is good, once it packs down and slicks over 2wd

4x4 causes all four wheels to slip giving no steering or forward traction. YOu will soon see that most vehicles in the ditch are 4 X 4's. Mostly at the top of hills where they add more gas to try and maintain their desired speed. their wheels slip........ and it's Rhubarb time. so on hills just accept you are going to loose speed and even at times just let off and get up the hill with no slip.

with those things in mind you have to pay attention to forward momentum... not power but simply your forward inertia. This is always you best friend. go faster going down hill to make it up the uphills.

Cornering, get your speed where you want it BEFORE the corner, there isn't much adjusting mid corner.

Braking, just trust the ABS it works well in the jeep.

steering, smooth easy slow steering input. jerking the wheel fast or hard equals ditchin times.

a bit of weight in the rear in a 2wd goes a long way.

Studded tires kick *** ! they cost you money as they wear faster, but beware they have terrible traction on dry pavement. Metal and concrete don't stick to each other all that well. Dedicated winter tires are the better choice, but not sure if anyone makes them for a jeep in a good tire size.

Me I ran the stock Rubicon tires for 2 winters and had no major complaints except perhaps not the best on highway speeds, and not great on ice, but then nothing really is.

Off roading, all bets are off there are no good answers, just try everything, snow is not constant, it changes with temp, density, moisture and wind. YOu just never know. sometimes 2wd no locker, sometimes 4wd locked up fronta nd back. Most times I find 4 hi and esp on is the best.
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #66
Fonzijr1964
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
In all honesty, my MINI Cooper is better on-road in snow than my Jeep. Up to its ground clearance of 3" that is.
I have some dedicated snows/wheels for it and they're like velcro.

All i got to say is my Corvette is not velcro hahaha
Fonzijr1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #67
russian830
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't really feel like reading through all the pages to see if anyone said this or not, also sorry for bringing up an old thread but its number 1 on Google for jk snow. My two cents are tires are nice but don't matter much, what everyone said about chains is right use them. I'd recommend a pair from Thule, they work great and are the easiest to get on and off. My biggest advice is to always give 4 or 5 car lengths when stopping,better to roll forward than spin into an intersection. Also the advice to go to an empty parking lot is highly recommend. I grew up in the north county of NY bout 45 minutes from the closest town on a dirt road and never got stuck. Key is forward momentum, during snowmageton I had my dads 98 Mazda 626 with bald tires in 1.6 feet of snow. Made it to where I was going, never went more than 5 MPH and ran all stop signs and lights but it is possible. A kids snow shovel is nice to keep in the back to dig yourself out. Also a half bottle of water, and space blanket will save your life if you ever become stranded, water bottle will freeze and burst so make sure its not 100% full. Remember that if you venture out in bad weather like a hurricane in Florida or a snow storm up north, your on your own if anything happens . Also if you do get stuck don't leave the car running non stop, 15 mins on followed by hr off for heat that way co2 won't build up inside. In 2001 43 people died from sleeping in their cars while on on Syracuse. Pm me if anyone has any more questions, I now teach winter driving preparedness in MD.
russian830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #68
JKq8mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
mattracks
This will be awesome for the desert also!
JKq8mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #69
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
You're kidding right? Perhaps you need to get better tires.
Its because of how great my tires are that I don't need 4x4 in the snow. You will get a lot less understeer if you keep it in 2hi Unless you have 4 full time I suppose.

EDIT: Couldn't help but look it up, Utica has an annual snowfall of 108 inches. Thats fourth highest in the nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #70
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

I did. I bought an Arctic!
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #71
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do a ton of skiing and I like to go up to the north country of upstate NY. Tons of snow there. My bone stock 09 JK worked magic in deep snow. Now, I didn't really venture off thru the wilderness, just some unplowed back roads. My guesstimate would be 16 to 20" deep stuff. The JK handled great. Stock tires and all. Now you need to expect that you are going to slide around a little, get squirrelly here and there. But as long as you take it easy, enjoy the beauty winter has to offer, you'll be fine.
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #72
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongagain
As one Boston area person to another, everything said so far is about on the mark.
First thing you are going to need is this,...

"The Wicked Good Guide to Boston English", A-B | Universal Hub

Now that we have that straightened out,
If you actually live in the city when someone shovels out a space and puts lawn chair out to mark it as their own, don't screw with it, or you will be buying new tires, windshields, etc as payback, I kid you not.
Never break down in the breakdown lanes on rte 128, aka rte 95, aka rte 93, why you ask,... well, someone, at some point, made them travel lanes as well as breakdown lanes, Get Off The Road.
Studs are legal nov.-apr.
You will need more sets of boots and gloves than you will tire chains.
I have carried tire chains for years in case I got stuck out on one of the jobs in the middle of nowhere, and have never put them on yet.
I used the winch more than I thought I would, but never chains.
On the roads in the snow its not your ability to drive, its every moron who thinks all wheel drive means warp speed.
Or the kid in a $25.00 toyota corolla with $6000.00 tires and rims who is stuck on a flat road causing a 3 hour back up, so you run out of gas because you were only 10 minutes away from where you needed to be and will get gas later.
Do a google search on the blizzard of 1978 and look at the pics of the highways, it looked a Canadian blizzard, people stuck on the road for days.
Always have a full tank in the winter, and its also free weight for extra traction.
O.k, I'm done with my Boston snow rant for now.
Time for more coffee.
No need to go back to 1978... Check out Christmas of 2011....
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #73
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

When people say "snow" they tend to think of it like it's one thing but it's actually many things. I've spent my entire life in snowy climates and snow conditions (and remedies for coping with them) can vary a lot. If you're going through three feet of snow in a driveway or off road, then chunky tires and being jacked up works well. But on plowed, slippery paved roads (where you'll in all likelihood spend most of your time)you'd be better off to LOWER the center of gravity for stability and you'd want a relatively narrow tire. People who have wide performance tires on their cars will typically put a narrow dedicated snow tire on such as a Blizzac etc. A lot of things with snow handling are also contrary to logic. On ice, sometimes at tire that has a relatively close tread does better than the more open tread of a snow tire (though modern, dedicated snow tires often make up for it with the rubber compound they use). Surprisingly the colder it is the better the traction and deeper (to a point) snow can actually give you better traction. Some of the most treacherous, slippery conditions are when you get a light dusting of snow with temperatures close to freezing. By and large there is no single setup that is optimum for all conditions--you go for the best compromise. Personally I'd go with stock sizes tires (a dedicated snow tire ideally), and stock height. Two of the best tips I can give you are to simply SLOW DOWN--you can go fine with 4x4 but stopping and cornering are the same as a car. Second, know when to say when--sometimes the best thing you can do is just STAY HOME when conditions are bad enough. If fact I always stay home on the first real snow day--people forget how to drive in it over the summer, there's usually accidents everywhere and there's no way to prevent some moron from sliding into you no matter how much traction you have.
MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #74
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
Any tire store will carry chains. They may be $50 to $75 a pair. Get the rubber bungie tightening cord with them. They're kind of a pain, but totally worth it if you're getting serious.

Your setup is fine right now for heavy road pack and getting to the ski hill, but if you want to get in the mountains for hunting, sledding, or backcountry snowshoeing/skiing/snowboarding, you'll want chains.

You'll have to chain up BEFORE you get into the nasty stuff. Once you get stuck in the snow, you'll need something else to get you out.....like a winch, gravel/kitty litter, or another vehicle.

Oh yeah, a shovel is crucial, too.
$200 a pair for 35X12.5.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #75
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Agree with many others in that Duratracs are excellent in snow; haveca set on my truck. I run BFG KM2s on the JK and they're not as good in Winter conditions.

I also carry a tow strap and have a hitch-mounted clevis on my truck for yanking little Hondas and the like out of the embankments. The Jeep; not as good on rescue function, but a winch can change that.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , snow driving , winter driving , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.