Make your JK a snow monster! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Make your JK a snow monster!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #46
Ravik
2010 JK Wrangler 

At 10,000 feet it's pretty easy, just plan to get stuck.

In all reality, you own a Jeep. There actually isn't a lot you *have* to do mechanically as they're all but unstoppable out of the box... Which is a separate issue.

As others mentioned, chains. Chains are awesome and worth their weight in gold when the going gets rough - like the choice of descending 12 miles of icy 11% or back-seat camping on the side of the mountain for the night.

Pack your survival gear - warm clothes, spare boots, blankets, MREs, water, etc. Even if you don't need them, you'll probably come across someone who does.

De-icing wiper fluid and high quality wipers are a must. Jeep windshields are high profile and non-aerodynamic, and collect a lot of ice / snirt.

Shovel and axe... But that's a no-brainer.

CB/Ham rig is a big help as well if you're routinely in places where cell service isn't...

A good tow strap at a minimum or a winch. Winches are pricey, but are kinda like insurance: you pay a lot and may never need it, but when you do need it you're damn happy you have it. And chances are *you* won't ever need either, but as a Jeep owner you have certain responsibilities to help out lesser vehicle owners.

Speaking of which, once you're kitted out and ready for anything, volunteer with your local Jeep club for inclement weather service... Here in Colorado during the winter when it gets bad a lot of elderly folks, hospital workers, or people who need routine medical attention, get to appointments via Jeeps owned by random guys from local clubs.

Nothing justifies that $1200 you spent on tires like the ear-to-ear grin on an old lady's face as she shouts "Ya-Hoo!" from the passenger seat while gripping the oh-$#!* handle on the way to visit her doctor.

Unread 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #47
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Another vote for Nokian tires. They are great in snow and rain.
FYI, they are from Finland, not Sweden.
Sorry, I get those two countries mixed up often.
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #48
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
skinny tires are great in deep snow too. they cut down to the surface, where the traction is.
Like the old Model A Fords. LOL... they could chug through anything... well, almost... except for horses.
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #49
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Rafi! Glad to have another Jeeper in Boston (we missed you on the July run!) I'm in Woburn, so if you're ever looking for a wrenching buddy/assistant I'd love to help.

In terms of snow, tall skinny appropriate treaded tires will get you through damn near anything, especially if you're easy on the skinny pedal. I see waaay too many people gun in and get skid into a snow bank.

For lockers, lunchbox lockers are great cheap options, but not worth it for those of us who want capable on-road 4x4s. Save the money and get a selectable. All 4 seasons will thank you.

In terms of recovery gear, a ready-to-go shovel and a bit of precaution with the chains have gotten me out 4.5' snow drifts where I was high centered. Shovels are *key* and you don't even have to replace the snow for LNT, ha ha!

And if you're going to go in the backcountry during winter, an emergency sleeping bag/warm blanket and emergency food and just as important as anything you can put on your rig.

Once again, welcome to Boston! The wheeling sucks, but the snow is fun!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #50
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You will have no need for chains or studs in and around Boston. They will wear or fall out fast. You will only need chains if you go offroad and even then you won't need them.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #51
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoud View Post
I noticed this was touched on just briefly, if you start spinning...STOP!!! Wheel speed is not your friend like in mud. What you will do is dig ruts right where your tires are sitting, melt the snow, get stuck and then the melted snow will refreeze and now you are sitting in ice ruts...good luck getting any traction on that!
Yes and no. If you're spinning and not moving, stop. But once you get moving, for Gods sake, DON'T STOP! (when off roading in snow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
Another vote for Nokian tires. They are great in snow and rain.
These are the only winter tires I'll ever use up here (northern Canada). Great tires. The last ones I had, I never did anything serious off road with them, but they were simply amazing on road come winter. The off road stuff I did do, they handled with ease.

Others have listed survival gear (all good stuff, and things you should consider). A couple things they missed are candles (these will heat up a jeep quick should you find yourself staying somewhere longer than anticipated). Also, either an axe or a saw (I carry a small swede saw). All the times I've been seriously stuck in snow, the hi-lift and saw have been there to save me. The winch is great... but if you don't have one (can't afford one), get the saw. It's a lot easier to jack up the jeep and stick logs under the tires than to dig out the jeep - TRUST ME on this!

Come winter, I carry 2 duffel bags of crap. One contains my tools (not that I know how to use em, but I have em), and the other contains my winter survival gear. Fire starter, sleeping bag, candles, matches, flares, extra winter gear (gloves, toque, etc), wind breaker. My sorels never leave my jeep till the snow is gone. Always carry extra water. If you're going wheeling, carry a few lts. You may not need it... but digging out your jeep is thirsty work.

It can be a lot to carry around... but should you ever get stuck when out and about you'll be thankful. We all say it (then we all do it), but don't wheel alone. At the very least if you do, let others know where you've gone, and when you'll get back (or you'll call em).
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #52
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

Good Choice with the DuraTracs then nothin beats em in the snow
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #53
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
Sorry, I get those two countries mixed up often.
Gislaved were the super-duper Swedish tires in the past. They're still good tires, very good in rain, not sure about snow since Continental bought them out years ago.
They're hard to find in the US but I think they're common in Canada and snowbelt areas.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #54
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I grew up in the NE, moved to Florida for 20 years, and am now a quarterback (moved to Georgia, 1/4 of the way back to the NE).
Love the snow.

This day we had about 1/2" of solid ice with 4-8" of moist snow on top of it. It was interesting.

If that is 4-8", the laddies must be quite dissappointed when they crawl into bed with you after you have told them measurements!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #55
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If that is 4-8", the laddies must be quite dissappointed when they crawl into bed with you after you have told them measurements!
About 3 right there; 8" further up the trail.
Over a foot at Cherokee and in GSMNP that day.

We had to drive pretty far to find any; Georgia is known for ice in winters, not snow.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #56
LBarcher

Quote:
Crawl into bed with the "laddies"?
Not that there's anything wrong with that but you may have meant to say LADIES.
LBarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #57
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBarcher View Post
Can't believe I didn't catch that one....

Unread 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #58
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBarcher View Post
Don't try to tell a Scotsman who he can and cannot climb into bed with.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #59
awkragt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
skinny tires are great in deep snow too. they cut down to the surface, where the traction is.
As long as the snows only a foot deep. I find the wide tires aired down is the best bet in the really deep stuff.
Here's my buddy getting stuck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxH8K-TqEdg I was aired down with bigger wider Toyo's and didn't sink in nearly as deep. But that's like 3-4 ft of snow so you're not really digging your way to the surface.

Those fold up military shovels are crap. Just bring a full size square point. Good reach for getting the snow out from under the diffs. You can move a lot of snow quickly with the proper shovel.
http://kragt.blogspot.com

Last edited by awkragt; 09-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: added video
awkragt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #60
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i never drive in 4x4 on the road in snow. if you lose traction in rwd its alot easier to recover than in 4x4. its a little more tedious to drive, but safer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , snow driving , winter driving , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.