Make your JK a snow monster! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Make your JK a snow monster!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #31
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs View Post
I air down in snow, seems to help out a ton. I use 4x4 when I feel it is a benefit to me.

Also from what I have noticed, mudders offraod in 1-1.5 ft of snow are great, swampers dig and seem to get stuck, A/T's are ok.

Do you mean tow truck companies wont pull you out if you are stuck in the middle of a snowy field or if you are just stuck in a snowy ditch?

Good point about carrying as much stuff with you as possible especially when wheeling.
Some of the tow companies will pull you out... if it doesn't put the tow truck in too much danger... but it's your nickel not AAA's and the drivers know they have 4 aces.

Unread 09-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #32
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
should comment on using front locker in the snow. i would not reccomend it unless you are really stuck. a front locker will make your rig near impossible to turn on a slick surface.
And, if the road is tilted toward the big ditch on the right, for instance, you will slide to the right... just like if you have posi-traction.
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
And, if the road is tilted toward the big ditch on the right, for instance, you will slide to the right... just like if you have posi-traction.
yep. lockers in th snow are deffinatly a last case scenerio tool.
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #34
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs View Post
I air down in snow, seems to help out a ton. I use 4x4 when I feel it is a benefit to me.
Kinda depends on where the traction is... near the surface, air-down; down deep, air-up; don't know and you're still moving, don't stop... IIRC
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #35
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

skinny tires are great in deep snow too. they cut down to the surface, where the traction is.
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

Another point one of the other posters reminded me of is washer fluid... you want to dump that sunny Florida windshield washer fluid and replace it with de-ice fluid or at a minimum fluid that doesn't freeze or life is going to suck when you hit your washers for the first time on a salty snowy day. You should have your antifreeze checked as well to insure wont freeze. Lastly winter wipers are nice, they are basically just a wiper with a rubber coat over them so the snow doesn't have anything to hold onto.
Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #37
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

wow thats a new one. winter wipers haha. yeah i need to use up the rest of the washer fluid i have in it now to replace it all.

"winter wipers" sold where all wipers are sold?
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #38
Xjpionner
1989 MJ Comanche 

Yes winter wipers can be found anywere wipers are sold. Out of curiosity were exactly in Ma are you?

Winter Driving around here really isn't that difficult...once you get used to it.
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #39
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post

I don't know why but Nokian tires have really impressed me in the snow. They are from Sweden.
Another vote for Nokian tires. They are great in snow and rain.
FYI, they are from Finland, not Sweden.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #40
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

nokians are great tires. they can be hard to find, and they arent cheap, but you can hardly bet them. the only gripe i have about there truck tires is that they pick up rocks in the tread really bad.
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #41
KPJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

As others have mentioned, 4wd doesn't help you stop...

But it doesn't help you unless you are driving your tires, either. So if (when) you do begin to slide on snow or slush, turn into the slide or just keep your front wheels pointing in the direction you want to go, depending on the circumstances, and don't hit the brakes, instead, accelerate "gently."

For instance, you want to make a right turn and you have slowed in preperartion properly but as you turn you loose traction up front and are going straight rather than right. Mild throttle, sometimes gently on and off the throttle will bring you around the corner.

The parking lot mentioned by a few previous posters is a great place to get the hang of accelerating out of a slide. What won't work and will have you sliding is to lay on the brakes. Even with ABS you will go where momentum would have you go rather than where your front tires are pointing. Also, ABS doesn't work as well in the snow as on rainy roads or dry roads, seems as if the system is "tricked" and slow to react when your braking is causing the locked tires. Unlike on wet or dry pavement it won't take you to the limit of wheel lock and sliding, it will go past the limit and your tires will intermittently lock up. And it doesn't work even that poorly on ice, where it is all but useless. If the situation allows, a little throttle will help on sheet ice, sometimes.

You can predict that there will be ice at any intersection on either a down grade or upgrade where other drivers have slid to a stop or spun trying to get started. Bridges too, early, before road crews have treated them, especially when temps are near freezing.

Our Jeeps handled more than 2' and near 3' of snow a couple of times this past winter without issue. My LJ did better than my wife's JKU. Looking back I think the esp/traction control systems were the issue. My wife's JKU ought to have been the better of the two, and the LJ doesn't have the esp/traction control systems. This winter I will try with and without...

Its hard to beat a Suburban with half decent tires in packed snow or not too much snow, but in the deep stuff, the Jeeps were rolling along and eating it up when the Suburban would have been high centered and stuck.

JPK
KPJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #42
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

An advanced technique when in a slide and you're in 4WD, steer where you want to go and modulate the emergency brake; turn her into a front wheel drive sorta.

And as previously noted, air-down for snow. Air way-down for ice. The guys that I know that wheel in Iceland run 42s at .5 psi.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #43
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

Something isn't right here. You are really excited to be moving from FL to snow-country? And looking forward to driving i snow??? I've been trying for the last 15 years to get the heck out of snow country to the liquid-water driving conditions in FL!

In all seriousness, best of luck with your first Winter. My advice, slow down and take your time learning how to drive on it. The Jeep will cover a lot of sins with ESP and all that. But when you get out of shape enough that ESP can't help you, you're really in trouble. Overall though, the Jeep is great in snow.

Layth
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #44
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I grew up in the NE, moved to Florida for 20 years, and am now a quarterback (moved to Georgia, 1/4 of the way back to the NE).
Love the snow.

This day we had about 1/2" of solid ice with 4-8" of moist snow on top of it. It was interesting.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #45
SaxManClay
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
awesome. Thanks for the great info... i honestly pretty excited about the first snow. I will see how useful a locker would be for me after this winter and a few more months of living here. Then maybe a front locker. Id like to do both though. but damn $1000 a piece is rough. not including the compressor.

its not legal to drive around with studs is it? the duratracs holes ready for studs
You can have studded tires in MA. We stud them at Sears where I work.
SaxManClay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , snow driving , winter driving , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.