Make your JK a snow monster! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Make your JK a snow monster!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #16
Hollywood1971
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ditto on the front locker. Not just for snow but even on rocks going locked in the front is what is going to get you out most of the time. It's the pulling action and the weight of the engine giving you that extra bite. But most people just assume that the rear is the way to go if they are only locking one axle...not sure their logic in that.

And your Duratracs are going to be awesome in the snow and ice. Much better than those of us who have pure mudders. Mudders are great on some hardpack or powder but pretty much the last tire you want on ice since they have virtually no siping and small contact areas.

DECEASED - 2008 2-door
Hollywood1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Front locker for sure. I appreciate my front more than my rear. And yes on the selectable for winter driving. A lunchbox takes a bit more finesse but it's certainly doable.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #18
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

People out west know snow.
Bu in the NE you're also going to encounter ice. Other than studs and chains, nothing works on ice.
Ice is evil. Beware ice.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

It really depends on what you are going to do. I live up here in sunny warm New Hampshire....I think winter is 6 months and summer is about 3 weeks here... OK that may be a stretch but at times we get snow in October and May though usually Nov/Dec-Mar/Apr.

First off chains are great but generally can not be used on the road so like one of the others said you have to put them on when you first go off road...they are a pain but they will take you some awesome places and they are unstoppable on ice. That being said when you do get stuck you will be VERY stuck so make sure you have a winch. Typically is you are stuck with chains you are sitting on the frame or underside and the tires are not touching which is easy in snow.

The single most important thing to consider is what one of the others mentioned... four wheel drive does not mean four wheel stop. When you have a good vehicle with good traction they always seem to be able to go faster in the snow until you reach that speed that things are just on the edge of grip and slide, that will vary by the type of snow but what never changes is how fast you slow down...snow on the pavement and you slide...and it is very common, in fact I would say you can almost guarantee after every sizable snow storm that there will be an SUV upside down in the ditch on the side of I-93 up here and Jeeps as often as any other.

One more thing to consider is the cold. Vehicles start hard at -20. It does not always get that cold but it does at times and make sure you are prepared for it. Getting stuck in a swamp is not bad if you have to walk back a couple miles in 70 degree weather in the middle of the night. Getting stuck in the snow at 0 degrees then getting out of your 70 degree jeep to walk through just 4" of snow for a couple miles sucks...dress warm and keep a full tank of gas...don't off road alone. Those stories you hear of people getting stuck in their vehicles off the road during snow storms are true. The area's up here are not as large as the northwest so you don't hear about that stuff as often but it happens, big snow storms cover everything.

So...all the scare tactics being said, snow driving is a blast... just a parking lot full of fresh snow can be a blast... leave it in 2wd in the parking lot...it will be more fun!
Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

awesome. Thanks for the great info... i honestly pretty excited about the first snow. I will see how useful a locker would be for me after this winter and a few more months of living here. Then maybe a front locker. Id like to do both though. but damn $1000 a piece is rough. not including the compressor.

its not legal to drive around with studs is it? the duratracs holes ready for studs
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
BigBass
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure studs aren't legal in most places. If you only use them when the roads are a mess though cops don't want to get out of there nice warm cruisers for B.S. tickets.
I've been plowing for a few years now and when your plowing you want narrower tires to cut down to the pavement better for wheeling you want a wider tire to keep you up on top of the snow. Just something to think about there.
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

yeah, i have heard that. o well, im gunna pretend that the 315's are narrow .

can you take studs out easily? its not suppose to be something to put in and take out is it?
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
can you take studs out easily? its not suppose to be something to put in and take out is it?
No; you'd run a second set of tires.
States have varying laws on studded tires.

If you get chains, make sure they clear everything before your life is relying on them.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #24
Maximous
2010 JK Wrangler 

Like the post ahead of me mentions the laws vary by state. I don't know where in the Northeast you are moving to but where I live in NH and neighboring Vermont there are no restrictions but pretty much all the other northeastern states allow studs from Oct-Apr 30. Keep in mind that studs are not good for your driveway and concrete in your garage and like others said you really should run a second set of tires regardless where you live.

I would recommend just leaving the Jeep alone, playing the first year then deciding if and when you need to add things. Snow is not bad to drive on, it's ice that sucks. Just be careful until your used to it.
Maximous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
TheShift
2010 JK Wrangler 

Keep the info comin!

I bought the wrangler...and it's intended purpose[for me] was the winter months here in central il.. stripping it down in the summer months was an added bonus....

I can't wait
TheShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

winter...

My experience with winter and mountains is that some practice with ABS helps. When you are going downhill and the conditions are mixed ice and snow, it is very tempting to do "old style" braking. It's likely that you will end up doing 360's before you know what's going on. If you "trust" the ABS and just push the brake pedal "hard", the ABS system will take over and allow you to steer and maybe maintain control but practice in a place where you can make mistakes and get to know the brakes.

Going uphill in the same conditions, power (i.e., low range) is not your friend... IMHO... steady torque and slowly diminishing speed is your friend if you start at the bottom with enough momentum to make the top. If the wheels start to spin, you're screwed... might as well back down if possible and start over. Or like others have said, stop and put on the chains B4 you attempt a steep climb.

If it comes to it, you can scrub off some speed by "plowing" snow along the edge of the road, high side of the road only though...

If the snow is fresh and deep, speed is an asset, keep your speed up but reasonable. If you stop, you might not get going again...

Remember, most of the emergency road services... Good Sam; CoachNet; AAA?; others? will not come pull you out if you're stuck in snow.

I don't know why but Nokian tires have really impressed me in the snow. They are from Sweden.

GPS, shovels, jacks, chains, extra water, extra (water resistant) clothes, snow boots, a warm hat, warm gloves, sun glasses/goggles, windshield ice melt spray/scraper, small broom is nice for snow removal, CB, cell fone, flares, tow strap, winch$$?, recovery hooks on rear, portable saw, knee pads, door mat (so when you have to lay in the snow to install chains, you don't get wet or muddy), sleeping bag, dry matches/lighter, air pump, jumper cables, hammer, duct tape, fuzes, tubless tire plugs, flashlight or two, sun block, small hydraulic jack ... SPOT?

Sounds crazy but people die out here in the winter during a blizzard... usually run off the road and get covered up in a snowbank, can't open the door, suffocate, freeze to death or die from carbon monoxide. It happens every year. Sometimes from an avalanche.

when you park rotate you wipers into the "vertical position" so they don't freeze to the glass.

There's lots of mixed stories about trying to walk out for help... if someone knows that you are "overdue" the S&R people will find you... they usually find your vehicle first. I think the "official line" is to stay with the vehicle but if you know there's help nearby...
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #27
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

wow, thanks for the great info guys! all great to know.

i know people go both ways on this, but air up or air down for snow? im assuming it depends on where you are..

off road? packed snow? up or down?
on road? up or down?

on 'normal', snowy roads, when do you guys draw start using 4 hi? say on a rural back road with 1-3" or so on the ground.
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

I air down in snow, seems to help out a ton. I use 4x4 when I feel it is a benefit to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood1971 View Post
...And your Duratracs are going to be awesome in the snow and ice. Much better than those of us who have pure mudders. Mudders are great on some hardpack or powder but pretty much the last tire you want on ice since they have virtually no siping and small contact areas.
Also from what I have noticed, mudders offraod in 1-1.5 ft of snow are great, swampers dig and seem to get stuck, A/T's are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
...Remember, most of the emergency road services... Good Sam; CoachNet; AAA?; others? will not come pull you out if you're stuck in snow.

GPS, shovels, jacks, chains, extra water, extra (water resistant) clothes, snow boots, a warm hat, warm gloves, sun glasses/goggles, windshield ice melt spray/scraper, small broom is nice for snow removal, CB, cell fone, flares, tow strap, winch$$?, recovery hooks on rear, portable saw, knee pads, door mat (so when you have to lay in the snow to install chains, you don't get wet or muddy), sleeping bag, dry matches/lighter, air pump, jumper cables, hammer, duct tape, fuzes, tubless tire plugs, flashlight or two, sun block, small hydraulic jack ... SPOT?...
Do you mean tow truck companies wont pull you out if you are stuck in the middle of a snowy field or if you are just stuck in a snowy ditch?

Good point about carrying as much stuff with you as possible especially when wheeling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #29
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed this was touched on just briefly, if you start spinning...STOP!!! Wheel speed is not your friend like in mud. What you will do is dig ruts right where your tires are sitting, melt the snow, get stuck and then the melted snow will refreeze and now you are sitting in ice ruts...good luck getting any traction on that!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #30
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

should comment on using front locker in the snow. i would not reccomend it unless you are really stuck. a front locker will make your rig near impossible to turn on a slick surface.
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
JK Wrangler , snow driving , winter driving , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.