Make your JK a snow monster! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Make your JK a snow monster!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 09-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Make your JK a snow monster!

I have lived in Florida my entire life. I just moved up to the northeast and want to make my Jk as capable in the snow as possible!

what do you guys recommend doing?

At the moment im on a small lift and some 34" goodyear duratracs. I have a hi lift, basic recovery gear, and some extra lights.

Whats my next move? planning on an AEV lift after tax returns next year. So waiting on a 'real' lift until then.

i wanna do this!!

Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've lived in snow country my whole life. Good tires go a long way. Duratracs are possibly the best snow tires you can get at the moment. If you're looking to get serious in some snow, get a set of chains. Chains will get you out of ANYTHING!
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

how much do chains run? and where do you buy them? (other than the internet..)
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any tire store will carry chains. They may be $50 to $75 a pair. Get the rubber bungie tightening cord with them. They're kind of a pain, but totally worth it if you're getting serious.

Your setup is fine right now for heavy road pack and getting to the ski hill, but if you want to get in the mountains for hunting, sledding, or backcountry snowshoeing/skiing/snowboarding, you'll want chains.

You'll have to chain up BEFORE you get into the nasty stuff. Once you get stuck in the snow, you'll need something else to get you out.....like a winch, gravel/kitty litter, or another vehicle.

Oh yeah, a shovel is crucial, too.
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the info! i got a shovel! first thing i did!
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
LBarcher

Do yourself a favour, when the first significant (4-6") hits, find a big open parkinglot and figure out how your jeep handles. ESP will surprise you. Untill you can mess around, drive conservatively and leave lots of room to stop.
Tire chains and visions of deep snow exploring are great. You have to survive the rodeo getting there first.
LBarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

i definitely plan on doing a lot of that. Thanks for the input!
Unread 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
richla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and when the snow flies, post back here and tell us how you did, I'd like to hear what works for you, and what doesn't!
richla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

mattracks
EugeneTheTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

And remember 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. I rarely go faster than 40 when the roads are slushy seen too many idiots spin out.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like others have said, tires are the biggest thing. From there it is recovery to get you out WHEN, not if, you get stuck. I have lived up in the snowy north for as long as I have been able to drive and I absolutly HATE going offroad in the snow. Don't do it alone unless you like the idea of walking through lots of snow for a long way to go get help.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

hahah, well see how i like it! im hope i get into it. the low here tonight is like the middle of winter in florida. so i have a lot more to get use to than just snow!
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Recovery, tires, and lockers. On road, obviously open diffs are the best. Offroad, having both ends locked in snow makes a world of difference. With that said, selectable (ARB) is your best option. Good time to regear too.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

i know there is a lot of discussion about this. but if i were to do 1 locker. front or rear? and why
Unread 09-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If I were to only do one locker, I would do the front. With that said, the one major downside of lunchbox lockers is their road manners specifically in rain or snow. They tend to catch when you wouldnt want them to and throw you into a not so fun ride...

If you are planning on a lot of snow driving definitely save up for an adjustable locker
EugeneTheTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , snow driving , winter driving , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.