Major condensation issue!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Quentin_T

2008 JK Wrangler 

Major condensation issue!!

So about 10 minutes ago I went to move my Jeep to the other side of the street (winter parking ban). Every window was covered in ice. And when i say covered, there was about 1/8" of ice on the front windshield in places.

It's warming up right now, hoping to turn it all to water and maybe dry it all up with a towel.

Now I went to the pats game this weekend (totally worth it btw ), and I know I got a ton of water inside the Jeep, is this what is causing all the problems? And if so will I have to wait till summer to get this issue all figured out? There was probably a gallon of water in the Jeep (with about 60 pounds of soaked clothes).

Monday I had a ton of water drops hanging off the freedom panels.

Any advise on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated. I was going to let the jeep just heat up and run for a couple hours to see what that would do for me.

I did search for this but didn't come up with too much info...

08 Jeep w/35's (MTRs MB72 15") and a 2.5" lift (RC BB) ARB front and rear covers, RC Quick disco's, Cut fender flares, BCC rock rails, More to come.
Drop down tailgate 1/2 way installed (and usable - so great), swag evap relocation, and cat-back, getting installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Rocketjoe

Take the 60 pounds of wet clothes out.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 04:31 PM
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

crack your windows and crank the heater in the front blowers to get alot of air flow and it should eventually evaporate out, but get the wet clothes out of there.

2008 Unlimited X-Jeep Green:Dual Top:6-Spd:Tow-Group:Trac-loc Lim Slip:Hauls: HOT wife, two girls (11&7), Newf
......[]]............/||[]
.....|||||__.||._|__-
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)

post #4 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Quentin_T

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketjoe
Take the 60 pounds of wet clothes out.
was = past tense

Yeah, those are gone, the jeep has been completely emptied (Monday).

I just shut it off, and there was, no water to wipe up. I guess I will see if this condensation issue comes up again, maybe a dehumidifier is in order.

I also just noticed I am getting a sound from about the transfer case of a constant knock (sounds like it's underneath the jeep). It's sounds like I'm making an on the rocks margarita, that doesn't seem to stop.
Oil level is fine btw.

Stealership here I come!

08 Jeep w/35's (MTRs MB72 15") and a 2.5" lift (RC BB) ARB front and rear covers, RC Quick disco's, Cut fender flares, BCC rock rails, More to come.
Drop down tailgate 1/2 way installed (and usable - so great), swag evap relocation, and cat-back, getting installed.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm assuming the water or condensation is inside the Jeep. If you drive with windows closed and vent turned off it will build condensation and moisture from your body heat and breathing. So, try driving with air conditioning on with recircle, with the temp set at middle (any temp range -- cold, warm or hot). AC will draw out moisture and you will never have that problem. Likewise, I do the same when it's raining outside and have no fogging inside at all. Recircle air mode is more important when humidity is high outside.

2009 JK Rubicon
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine Skid, LCA & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Diff Skids, 11,000# Pull-Pal. Uniden 520XL CB; 1" Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear; Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1.
Moab - TJ-4/2006, TJ-5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013, 5/2016, 4/2017
Ouray - TJ-8/2007
Rubicon - TJ-9/2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM
DanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
I'm assuming the water or condensation is inside the Jeep. If you drive with windows closed and vent turned off it will build condensation and moisture from your body heat and breathing. So, try driving with air conditioning on with recircle, with the temp set at middle (any temp range -- cold, warm or hot). AC will draw out moisture and you will never have that problem. Likewise, I do the same when it's raining outside and have no fogging inside at all. Recircle air mode is more important when humidity is high outside.
That's good advice for a damp summer day, but this time of year I'd be more inclined to recommend driving with the heater on and recirculate off. Outside humidity is usually pretty low in the winter so just heating the outside air and blowing it through the cab should dry things out.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 07:04 PM
fzfrank
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegillz
crack your windows and crank the heater in the front blowers to get alot of air flow and it should eventually evaporate out, but get the wet clothes out of there.
...with the A/C turned on. That will give you dryer air.

[edit] Never mind. Just saw the other post -- hasty reply.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW
That's good advice for a damp summer day, but this time of year I'd be more inclined to recommend driving with the heater on and recirculate off. Outside humidity is usually pretty low in the winter so just heating the outside air and blowing it through the cab should dry things out.
Go ahead with the heater only -- it will fog up.

2009 JK Rubicon
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine Skid, LCA & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Diff Skids, 11,000# Pull-Pal. Uniden 520XL CB; 1" Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear; Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1.
Moab - TJ-4/2006, TJ-5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013, 5/2016, 4/2017
Ouray - TJ-8/2007
Rubicon - TJ-9/2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 07:51 PM
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes it will, used to drive alot with the A/C in the winter. Turn the temp up a little obviously.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike
Go ahead with the heater only -- it will fog up.
not if you open a window (just a little)
post #11 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 PM
fastRob

Transfer Shifter is in what Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin_T9
was = past tense

Yeah, those are gone, the jeep has been completely emptied (Monday).

I just shut it off, and there was, no water to wipe up. I guess I will see if this condensation issue comes up again, maybe a dehumidifier is in order.

I also just noticed I am getting a sound from about the transfer case of a constant knock (sounds like it's underneath the jeep). It's sounds like I'm making an on the rocks margarita, that doesn't seem to stop.
Oil level is fine btw.

Stealership here I come!
Yes, get the moisture out by venting or use a/c.
The more interesting problem is the noise down below. Which way is the transfer case lever pointing? My guess is it is not in one gear or another.

R
post #12 of 13 Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM
JDBerry
CMSJA
2008 JK Wrangler 

Look into damprid or some industrial packing desiccant.

I have several large packets of silica gel desiccant that you can heatup and then reuse over and over. I use them in all sorts of needs.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Quentin_T

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastRob
Yes, get the moisture out by venting or use a/c.
The more interesting problem is the noise down below. Which way is the transfer case lever pointing? My guess is it is not in one gear or another.

R
Of course the noise wasn't there this morning!

I actually checked the lever, to make sure it was in 2H, even drove it up and down the street for certainty last night.

New bad news! I had a flat this morning! And the tire place 25 feet away can't find a hole.

At least there was no frozen condensation this morning. But my Jack and tools were frozen to the tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
Look into damprid or some industrial packing desiccant.

I have several large packets of silica gel desiccant that you can heatup and then reuse over and over. I use them in all sorts of needs.
Maybe I'll go buy 30 packs of beef jerky...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.