Magnetic Drain Plugs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Magnetic Drain Plugs?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 11-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #1
FinallyJO

Magnetic Drain Plugs?

Does anyone know if the oil pan, transmission or differential drain plugs are magnetized? If not, is there any reason why I should not continue my practice of attaching a small, (1/4" diameter), whole earth magnet to each of these drain plugs to catch and hold any metal shavings, regardless how minute, until the oil is changed? Years ago I had a Toyota that had a magnet built into the oil and transmission drain plugs (bolts) and it was amazing how much metal would be stuck to them at each oil change. Ever since then, I've been doing it on all my cars, but just want to make sure there isn't any reason not to do so with the Jeep. Thanks.

FinallyJO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

on the TJs, the manual trans plug, as well as the diff plugs were magentized. I'd only assume they kept it that way

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ diff drain plugs, trans drain plug, and transfer case drain plug were all magnetized.

I'm sure it's the same on the JK... but as long as it doesn't come loose I don't see a problem with puting another magnet inside the diff covers.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

wow, this is a really old thread...sorry i never saw this before. The JK differential drain plugs ARE magnetised. No need for your rare earth mag in there anymore. As far as the oil plug, to be honest, I have never checked it out. I know for certain the front and rear diffs are though.
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

bet this turns into a 10 page thread now.. lol

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Dmrennells
2007 JK Wrangler 

Diffs... Yes
Oil pan...no
Dmrennells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

What about trans?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
FC2TurboMSS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
bet this turns into a 10 page thread now.. lol
oh hell ya, lets do it...lmao!!!
"The World was large, now it is small. It was lonely, now it is crowded. It was dark, now the lights are on. Some day the old will be new again. Keep your guns close but your sword closer. For one day Man will again fear the dark of the World."
--The Zombie Prophet
FC2TurboMSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
SETXWarrior
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
What about trans?
Yes it is (6SP Manual). Changed mine Saturday AM and had quite a bit more material than I had expected. I have pics and will post later.
SETXWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.