magna or flow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > magna or flow?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 04-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
D4SSWME

magna or flow?

am undecided which route to go, either magnaflow or flowmaster exhaust system for the '07 Wrangler Unlimited Rubi edition

can you guys chime in with your experiences on either one

I don't want too loud a sound though and no resonance inside the jeep

thank you!

D4SSWME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
nota4re

Cool Tech offers a kit based on the Magnaflow. We tested the Flowmaster as well and preferred both the sound quality and the muffler construction of the Magnaflow. Neither muffler droned in our testing.

We never tested a muffler in the stock location which, undoubtedly would sound different so I can only speak for a relocated system.

The Cool Tech kit is more aggressive than stock when accelerating with a lower, deeper tone. At steady-state speeds there is absolutly no droning.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
D4SSWME

typical install time

what would be the typical install time for your kit?

am not really mechanically inclined and usually when I go to an exhaust shop and bring my own goods, I usually get these long hours billing rates
D4SSWME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
RedRockJK
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Magnaflow. Get the Cooltech system if you don't want to have the custom exhaust work done.
RedRockJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re
Cool Tech offers a kit based on the Magnaflow. We tested the Flowmaster as well and preferred both the sound quality and the muffler construction of the Magnaflow. Neither muffler droned in our testing.

We never tested a muffler in the stock location which, undoubtedly would sound different so I can only speak for a relocated system.

The Cool Tech kit is more aggressive than stock when accelerating with a lower, deeper tone. At steady-state speeds there is absolutly no droning.

Is your cool tech kit only for the 4door?

I had my flowmaster installed in the stock location for only 60 bucks and it still sounds great. But thats not to say that I wouldnt rather have the exhaust staight inline with the rest of the system.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

I tried both Magnaflow and Flowmaster. I chose Flowmaster Super 40. Much nicer sound and no resonence. The Magnaflow sounded too much like a hopped up Honda to me so I immediately removed it. I am not, however, familiar with the Cool Tech so I cannot speak for that.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
rchs.band

Can someone post some pics of the exhaust in the inline position? I want to see what the back of the Jeep looks like without the muffle hanging down...does it look silly?

Thanks.
Have the AirRaid (love it) and now I need an exhaust...just want to do it right and NOT sound like my old RSX Type-S did...
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchs.band
Can someone post some pics of the exhaust in the inline position? I want to see what the back of the Jeep looks like without the muffle hanging down...does it look silly?

Thanks.
Have the AirRaid (love it) and now I need an exhaust...just want to do it right and NOT sound like my old RSX Type-S did...
See if this post is helpful.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/catback-preferences-384588/
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
rchs.band

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-Skydiver
Thanks Bud...

Do you have a pic straight-on from the back? What do you see instead of the muffler?

Sorry for the silly questions...just want to be happy.

Thanks,
Matt
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Thanks Bud...

Do you have a pic straight-on from the back? What do you see instead of the muffler?

Sorry for the silly questions...just want to be happy.

Thanks,
Matt
Not at the moment. I would have to take one this evening. I had them place the up high so it is barely noticable.
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
rchs.band

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-Skydiver
Not at the moment. I would have to take one this evening. I had them place the up high so it is barely noticable.

GREAT! Thanks.
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
FLSeaMonkey

For what it's worth, I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my Defender 90. It gives my little Rover V8 one hell of a growl (wife hates it ) It would be too much for my daily driver IMO. But, Flow does offer different series for different decibles.
FLSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #13
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSeaMonkey
For what it's worth, I have a Flowmaster 40 series on my Defender 90. It gives my little Rover V8 one hell of a growl (wife hates it ) It would be too much for my daily driver IMO. But, Flow does offer different series for different decibles.
A Flowmaster 40 series isn't like that in the JK. The "little engine that could" doesn't produce the same grown as a V8. I had Flomasters on my Dodge RAM and it is nothing like that at all.
Unread 04-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
rchs.band

Does anyone have or has heard the Cooltech system? Thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Unread 04-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
jk4door

Quote:
Does anyone have or has heard the Cooltech system? Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

I do and I'm a big fan of it. It doesn't have a real loud sound that becomes annoying after the newness of it wears off. I would recommend it.
jk4door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.