M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step install and review. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step install and review.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 02-09-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step install and review.

I havenít seen a thread of the M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step install yet so Iíll give it a try. First off the quality and finish are top notch and come packaged very well. The pics in the instructions suck though. They are really dark to the point of almost useless. None the less the written part is easy to fallow.

They say you only need to remove the two nuts and the one bolt from the center of the rock sliders for the install but I found that you actually need to loosen up the rest on the rock sliders to install it, no big deal though.

I also recommend that you wear gloves while trying to sandwich the bracket between the rock slider mounting arm and the Jeep body. You need to compress part of the bracket and at the same time maneuver it under the sliders mount arm. There is a lot of tension from the spring in that position and the edges are kind of sharp.

I also found that attaching the step itself to the bracket is not as easy as their video shows, at least not on mine. Perhaps with more practice it will improve, I donít know.

After reading several posts about how the step will possibly get hung up on obstacles and whatnot while off roading if you donít first remove the step part, I doubt that will happen. Now itís not something that I would want to try in a rock garden but after seeing it bolted to my Jeep I see no reason to remove it except for some extreme wheeling, maybe.

Now to get to the how good does it actually work part? One word, fantastic. Iím not that tall and while getting into my Jeep I would always have put my right leg into the Jeep, grab hold of the steering wheel and yank myself up into the Jeep. Doing so would make me plop down on the outer edge of the seat by the door, very awkward and uncomfortable to say the least. Now itís a breeze getting in where as before I dreaded it. While off roading Iím constantly getting in and out so this is must have for me. I do have to mention that itís too awkward on exiting the Jeep so I wonít be using it for that part.

I will now order another one for the pass side too. I highly recommend this step if you are having problems getting in like I was. For taller people (no, Iím no midget but Iím not 6 feet either) itís probably not worth it though unless you want help your passengers out a bit.

Good job M.O.R.E. for coming up with this product.

Here is what comes in the box.

These are the three things that need to be removed for the install but remember that I recommend that you loosen up the rest of the rock slider hardware to the point of almost removal.

I needed to use a c-clamp to get the bracket to lay flat. Itís a bit too tight in this area without it.

This is all you see once installed.

Just a side view of the bracket installed.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

One question... How does it come down? You just step on it?
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent write-up
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cool idea, too bad they wouldnt last very long, I actually use my rock sliders quite abit
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've been close to buying one of these for a passenger side ***** step for a while, gf keeps complaining about having to jump in, and when she's wearing a skirt we have to drive her Kia! I like that it tucks under the rock rail and is barely visible. For the same reason I have a detachable sissy bar on my Victory.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemLT1YJ View Post
One question... How does it come down? You just step on it?
Yes you just step on it with the end of your foot and then kinda Ďwiggleí for lack of a better word your foot on it a bit more. It sounds kinda awkward but itís not really. After one or two tries it just becomes natural.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
Excellent write-up
Thank you.
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
I've been close to buying one of these for a passenger side ***** step for a while, gf keeps complaining about having to jump in, and when she's wearing a skirt we have to drive her Kia! ...
Hereís what you do; do not get the step, disable her Kia when sheís not looking and then you can help her into your Jeep like a gentleman with those short skirts of hers. Hope that helps.
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222

Here’s what you do; do not get the step, disable her Kia when she’s not looking and then you can help her into your Jeep like a gentleman with those short skirts of hers. Hope that helps.
Help her? Seems like an awful lot of effort for a short-term girlfriend. I'll leave the chivalry to old men and ugly dudes

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticRubi View Post
...I'll leave the chivalry to old men and ugly dudes
Well that sounds like it could be me although Iíd be helping good-looking girls into a Jeep even if I were 10 years old. Itís just built into me.

This is still tech because you need to know where to place your hands in those kinds of situations.
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Nice write-up. Thanks for taking the time.
Thanks ronjenx, itís not much of an install but maybe it will help someone who has been thinking about getting one but wasnít quite sure if itís worth it. Anyway that was how I felt for the longest time till I caved in and went for it. Glad I did too.
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

I looked at these but went a different route. I will shot some photos and post later.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
MORE
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2008 JK Wrangler 

The new Hide A Step for the TJ will be on the website early next week.
forum1.jpg   forum2.jpg  
MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Update:

I ordered another Hide-a-Step this morning for the pass side. Before I did though I checked in with Scott (M.O.R.E.) first to see if there was a Jeep Forum discount and to my surprise there was. He explained how to go about it and in just a few clicks it is now on its way.

Itís been over a month now since I installed the first one on the driverís side and it is still working as the day it was installed. These are no cheap flimsy made steps either. I love it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.