LS3 VS Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > LS3 VS Hemi

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LS3 VS Hemi

I now have a 2007 JK to start playing with. After doing some research, and watching everyone install a "hemi" into the JK, I'm seriously thinking of picking up an LS3 vette engine and doing the install.
I know of some problems, but if you can think of anything please let me know.

Can the CANBUS be turned off?
I do not need to pass emissions in Ohio.
I am using an atlas case so no need to adapt
I need to look at the guages closely, I know you can keep all but tach in a TJ with this conversion, anyone know on the JK?
Oh, and in advance.

V-8unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

LS3 gets my vote. The vette would rape the charger or challenger with the hemi. However, If I were to do it I would go with the Hemi only because it produces a respectable amount of power and is made by chrysler like my jeep.
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #3
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Canbus is a network in the car. To do this you would have to replace every gauge and every wire essentially. Unlike normall wiring that simply closes a circuit to activate an accesory (like turning on the radio) the canbuss system sends digital instructions of computer code to control things in the car.

The advantage is the reduction of wires in the car and increased control and diagnostics. The problem is that the signal to activte a guage can litterally run through the radio first.(as an example)
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeep designed a Hemi computer for the Jk. This is what is being used for the swap. That is why it works.
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is emissions the same as a state inspection? I was under the impression that all 50 states has some sort of an inspection and any conversion would have to comply with the rules of the engine being by the same manufacturer, offered in the same year, etc.

If not, I think the LS3 is a very cool idea. Getting someone to make a computer to work with the JK though would seem tough, but I'm sure someone can do it if your budget is big enough.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, so if the factory computer was left, I'm guessing everything would work then? I am going to call Tony Squire tomorrow and see what he says.
What is the weight difference between the engines?
HP and torque difference. I am looking at a 500hp LS3 now on ebay, with stand alone harness. This is how I built I LJ using a Howell stand alone harness. I did have to build guages, but I simply done away with the computer, and headlights/heater/radio etc. still work like factory.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Burnsville Offroad does JK hemi conversions in 5.7, 6.1, 6.4, 6.6, and 7.0L. I think they even put a V10 in a JK. The hemi is preferred because it adapts very well and the wiring etc. is compatabile. The JK is so overcomputerized in my opinion, that I think that is a big part of it.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #8
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

LS3 More power, smoother power curves, weighs about 60lbs less, and easier to tune and program yourself.

I have a lot of time in with GM stuff. The computers are easy to set up with or without emissions and there is plenty more power and mileage available by tweaking the factory settings.

I use www.HPTuners.com software to tune my Camaro. It is really easy to use. As long as you are not a complete moron you won't have any trouble using it.
New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
LS3 More power, smoother power curves, weighs about 60lbs less, and easier to tune and program yourself.

I have a lot of time in with GM stuff. The computers are easy to set up with or without emissions and there is plenty more power and mileage available by tweaking the factory settings.

I use www.HPTuners.com software to tune my Camaro. It is really easy to use. As long as you are not a complete moron you won't have any trouble using it.

I would think there is a decent aftermarket to tune hemi's. And as stated, it's not like they only come in one displacement. Besides, do you really want to go 200 mph in a Jeep? I haven't heard a single complaint from anybody that has went with the 5.7L. I can't even imagine what a 7.0L hemi would be like in a JK.

If you want to do something different, how about diesel? Now there would be something that is different and people would be interested in.
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

sheet yeah!
Any of those would be cool.

I am a huge LS fan ( being a Vette guy) so I'd almost throw my .02 that way plus, really... How freikking cool would that be?!?! Pop the hoodxand see a 427 LS under the hood. That'd be rad as hell.

But a hemi or diesel would be pretty damn cool too.

Perhaps you need 3 JKs with the three different powerplants and let us know which one you like best!
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
V-8unlimited
2005 LJ Wrangler 

3 JK's ,, Hmm, if you finance a couple, we've got a deal! The diesel does not interest me in the least bit. Too heavy, to big, and to slow for my taste. My dad is a GM mechanic (over 20 years) which is why I'm leaning towards the LS motor. After a few calls today, I'll have a better idea.
Unread 01-08-2009, 05:15 AM   #12
rab986
2007 JK Wrangler 

Heck... I'd go LS1 over Hemi and an LS3 is 3 times better. Being that I can tune GM vehicles makes me somewhat bias though. Hemi makes good torque lower than both LS powerplants but not enough to make a difference PLUS there isn't anything you CAN'T buy for an LS motor.
rab986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
PirateWrangler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Diesel to big? To slow? To heavy? Please. A diesel would be a good fit in the JK, esp. because of the power curve. My truck will out run most sports cars and certainly HEMI powered trucks w/o even the programing turned on. And thats w/ 37's. I would love to see someone stick a diesel under the hood. The power limits are endless w/o to much hassle. There would be a whole lot more involved installing a diesel in the JK, but I think the payoff if your doing an engine change would be worth it.

Big Toy: '07.5 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Ltz, Dura/Alli, Cognito 9-11", 37" Toyo MT's, 5" exhaust...lots more mods.
PirateWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh... If you go to gmpp (general motors perf parts) oem site, you can now buy the LS9 blue devil which was dropped in the ZL1.
It'll only cost you a cool 21,000 but geeebuz, you gotta read about that engine. Holy sheiatake!!!
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
JDBerry
CMSJA
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-8unlimited View Post
I am going to call Tony Squire tomorrow and see what he says.
This would be the best start. To see just how much can be carved out but still retain or have adapted to the CanBus so that it will run the LS engine.

Or contact Street and Performance, as they likely would know. http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
JDBerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.