Low tire pressure light won't turn off, due to loose wiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Low tire pressure light won't turn off, due to loose wiring?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Reply
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Snellmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2
Low tire pressure light won't turn off, due to loose wiring?

Hello all. I own a 2010 Jeep Wrangler, 2 Door. The main issue I have is that the low tire sensor will not turn off, and recently discovered a loose bundle of wires. All tires (including spare) are at appropriate pressures and TPMS is working on all tires.
Recently however, someone tried to steal my Jeep and destroyed the wiring inside. Everything was fixed (I thought) but the low tire light won't turn off and I recently discovered a large bundle of wires not connected to anything near the pedals, originating near the driver's side door.

I've looked through wiring diagrams but can't figure out if this bundle is supposed to be unattached. Wiring includes;
2 Black Wires
2 Blue and White Wires
1 Red Wire

Does anybody know if these wires should be attached to anything or should they be disconnected? Could this be related to the sensor issue?

Pictures are included. First one is a sloppy photo beneath the dash, the large black cable is the bundle in question. Second is the wiring itself, and the last is the connection.

Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

img_3048.jpg   img_6292.jpg   img_7456.jpg  
Snellmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
thebgkoolio
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 246
Pretty sure that is you OBD2 connector. It shouldn't be plugged into anything but it is used for communication with a scan tool. It looks quite beat up and not routed correctly under the dash. There should be a plastic or metal tab/piece (not sure on a 2010) that the plug is attached to that holds it in place under the dash. Image search google to get an idea.

It most likely is not going to be related to you Tire Pressure Light. You might wanna get the TPMS code read by a dealership so they can let you know if its actually a low tire pressure light or more likely a bad tire pressure sensor.

Bryan
__________________
13 JKU -33's, afe exhaust, more to come

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Andyjr
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Posts: 249
Did you try putting a couple extra pound in the tires to make sure it isn't the TPMS? Your air gauge might be off, put 38 pounds in each tire and see if that works. Good luck. keep us updated.

Welcome to the forum!
Andyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Jiblet
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 889
Sometimes you have yo drive the jk over 15 mph for up to 20 minutes to get the tpms to cycle through it's readings.

And that does look like the obd2 port.

Goes like this:


image-3193075789.jpg
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream
 
mtnbiker995's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 584
Like previously stated, try driving around over 15mph for 20 min at least and see if that reset's/ clears the light
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Snellmen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2
thebgkoolio- Thanks for pointing out what the cable was it was driving me insane. I've had the TPMS checked and two were malfunctioning and had them replaced 5 days ago. Dealership ran a diagnostics test and they insisted everything was communicating correctly.

Andyjr- Had them checked and slightly overinflated for two days and at regular pressure for two days. Thanks for the welcome (as I've already seen) great people provide great answers here.

Jiblet- Thank you so much for that picture. Much better than bumping around the brake. Had the TPMS checked and replaced 5 days ago, but light is still on. Tires maintain pressure just fine, but that light has become my nemesis.

mtnbiker995- Thanks for the info, tried that along with a reset for the oil light hoping that it may solve the problem but to no avail.
Snellmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Jiblet
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 889
Is the light flashing or solid? IIRC flashing means a bad sensor.

Does it chime, if so, how many times? I don't know if it's true but I read you get one chime per low tire.

What was wrong with the two sensors that were replaced?

There are a few different frequency sensors out there, I wonder if the dealer installed the right ones...
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
VegasRat
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51
I'm battling the annoying TPMS light too….
put some new sensors on a new set of wheels & tires I bought, and the light hasn't gone out in 3 weeks & 500 miles.
after each start, I get a single chime, then a flashing light, then later a solid light.


I've found out that:

the sensors/transmitters for the 2013-2014 are NOT compatible with my 2012.

and from what I understand, programmers (such as superchips flashcal, etc) can set lower thresholds so that any signal from the wheels can be deemed good enough, but can not disable the system.
Apparently the jeep still needs to detect a signal from a compatible transmitter. an incompatible transmitter seems to be as good as 'no transmitter', and thus turning on the light.

my options:
have the tires/wheels pulled off, dismounted, correct ones put in, mounted, balanced, and reinstalled,
or
a small piece of black tape to cover the tiny but annoying light !!!!
VegasRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream
 
mtnbiker995's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRat
I'm battling the annoying TPMS light too…. put some new sensors on a new set of wheels & tires I bought, and the light hasn't gone out in 3 weeks & 500 miles. after each start, I get a single chime, then a flashing light, then later a solid light. I've found out that: the sensors/transmitters for the 2013-2014 are NOT compatible with my 2012. and from what I understand, programmers (such as superchips flashcal, etc) can set lower thresholds so that any signal from the wheels can be deemed good enough, but can not disable the system. Apparently the jeep still needs to detect a signal from a compatible transmitter. an incompatible transmitter seems to be as good as 'no transmitter', and thus turning on the light. my options: have the tires/wheels pulled off, dismounted, correct ones put in, mounted, balanced, and reinstalled, or a small piece of black tape to cover the tiny but annoying light !!!!
You do NOT still need to have the transmitters in the wheels, if you have the TPMS set to 0psi on a flashpaq, then you can run a set of wheels and tires that don't even have sensors in them. Trust me, I've done it before.
__________________
My rebuild
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
VegasRat
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995 View Post
You do NOT still need to have the transmitters in the wheels, if you have the TPMS set to 0psi on a flashpaq, then you can run a set of wheels and tires that don't even have sensors in them. Trust me, I've done it before.
COOL! thanks!

I've been going by what the jeep shops & tire shops & a hot-rod performance shop told me, but experience trumps opinion!. All the times I've tried to call Superchips directly, it's been after their closing hours, so I haven't yet spoken with them.
VegasRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream
 
mtnbiker995's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRat
COOL! thanks! I've been going by what the jeep shops & tire shops & a hot-rod performance shop told me, but experience trumps opinion!. All the times I've tried to call Superchips directly, it's been after their closing hours, so I haven't yet spoken with them.
No problem!

I'm just speaking from personal experience. Maybe it's just a fluke in my jeeps computer and the shops are right, but I doubt that. Haha
__________________
My rebuild
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Stag
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 123
I have after market wheels / tires without TPMS crap. I used my aev procal and set the pressure at 0 and have no annoying light.
Stag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #13
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream
 
mtnbiker995's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag
I have after market wheels / tires without TPMS crap. I used my aev procal and set the pressure at 0 and have no annoying light.
I didn't know the procal could go down to 0psi but nice to know the 0psi trick works for others
__________________
My rebuild
mtnbiker995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #14
Stag
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Poquoson, VA
Posts: 123
procal actual has a disable function. I always consider the disable function the same as 0.
Stag is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.