low temp thermostat Qs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > low temp thermostat Qs?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-26-2015, 04:04 AM   #1
zjilla
2007 JK Wrangler 

low temp thermostat Qs?

2013 JUKR Auto

Installed 180 degree thermostat

(in effort to keep it from running at high temp). I flushed the rad fluid 5 times, cleaned the mud out of the radiator fins without bending them. and this thermostat. The jeep did over heat at one time. I did all this to combat a break down in fluid life and off chance that the thermostat was fried (b/c it was over heating intermittently)

The thermostat did the trick for the overheating problem, but no throws a CEL code every 200 miles or so.

Is there anyway to have the jeep computer mesh with this new thermostat? Other than that, the jeep cools and runs great.

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If replacing the thermostat fixed the overheating problem, one with the proper degree setting would have fixed it, too.

If you want to lower the water temp in your JK, you need to increase the amount of air through the radiator so the temp will hover around thermostat temp. In the JK, that would be 195°F, which is plenty cool enough.

To increase the air through the radiator, you can lower the temp the fan comes on with a programmer. Or, you can install a mechanical fan that pulls air all the time the engine is running.

Otherwise, even with your 180° thermostat, the water has to reach the same high temp before the stock fan will come on. When on the road, there is sufficient air to keep the water temp low, but 180° may be too low for the computer's liking.

Put the correct thermostat in there, and consider the two possibilities I mentioned above.
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

What's the code you are getting? RIPP sells a 180F thermostat to go with their supercharger, and I've seen others add the 180F thermostat without any problems.
Have you taken it to the dealership and have them check the cooling system? I've seen some instances where casting sand was stuck in the cooling system and caused issues. When you flushed the system did you use the right coolant? The 2013 Wrangler uses OAT coolant, the really expensive stuff.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Probably an unable to reach operating temp code.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Most likely a p0128."Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature": The ecm monitors the amount of time to reach a predetermined temperature and hold. it calculates in outside temp, coolant startup temp, time, load etc etc.
And unless aftermarket has some bypass to this; no there is no way around it, it is seeing a bad thermostat (as it is out of specs of the original)- one that opens before it's suppose to.
A cooler thermostat will allow an engine to run cooler but will do nothing for overheating as it "flows" the same as a higher temp thermostat when open.
If you don't want other problems (higher fuel consumption, fouled plugs, reduced life of catalytics; put the OEM spec thermostat.

You probably had a bad thermostat originaly(one that didn't fully open)if it fixed the overheating, so just swap back a new oem spec. thermostat
Thermostats are one of the parts that I will only go original manufaturer on- seen to many aftermarket nightmares. Yes they cost more but so much can go wrong when they fail.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Doesn't the Ripp tune also adjust the thermostat setting so you don't get the code? I thought I had heard that but I could be wrong.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
zjilla
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats the only thermostat quadratec sold for the 3.6L. Ill look elsewhere for the right one

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

Just go to the Jeep dealer and buy one. They are not that expensive. Avoid the $2.00 Saturday night specials at the auto parts stores.
Unread 01-27-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Doesn't the Ripp tune also adjust the thermostat setting so you don't get the code? I thought I had heard that but I could be wrong.
RIPP adjusts the timing of the fan kicking on. It comes on more often to keep the radiator cool despite having the intercooler in front.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
I've seen some instances where casting sand was stuck in the cooling system and caused issues. .
Pentastar block and heads are die cast - no sand in the process... where does casting sand come from otherwise?

edit: found this - High-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block and semi-permanent mold aluminum cylinder head - NOT die cast head but SPM is a sandless process (sand mold is sacrificial mold - not semi perm)...
Unread 01-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You need a 195 degree stat. Now the computer thinks it's in warm up mode and is running rich. Even just a little mud in the radiator will cause it to over heat due to poor air flow.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Pentastar block and heads are die cast - no sand in the process... where does casting sand come from otherwise?

edit: found this - High-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block and semi-permanent mold aluminum cylinder head - NOT die cast head but SPM is a sandless process (sand mold is sacrificial mold - not semi perm)...
Hmmm, must be a lot of people imagining the issue then.....cuz Chrysler has already acknowledged the problem. Google "Casting Sand Pentastar".
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmmm, must be a lot of people imagining the issue then.....cuz Chrysler has already acknowledged the problem
The problem exists. It just may not be sand.
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The problem exists. It just may not be sand.
Well, there's pictures and YouTube videos showing the sand if you Google it.....but ok...
Unread 01-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, there's pictures and YouTube videos showing the sand if you Google it.....but ok...
I have seen the pics. Have not seen confirmation it's sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.