Low fuel light and auto start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Low fuel light and auto start

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

Low fuel light and auto start

My new JK has an annoying new "safety" feature. If I auto start and my low fuel light has kicked on, it faults and shuts down. My previous JK's (of which there were 2) never did this. Very annoying (light comes on with 4.5 gallons in the tank or so (more than it says it should. I run my tank down every time. Old habit.

So tell me, anyone know a way to change this feature? Programming? Just curious.

SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

??? Trade me my 2008 w/ 105K miles for your new 2013 ???
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the offer.... You want me to give you some cash with that deal, or just straight up...

But I guess it's a fix.
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I believe that is hard coded so that you don't auto start and then end up with a dead out of fuel vehicle in the driveway... as well as -

Running down low adds heat to the fuel pump and shortens its life expectancy! (being submerged in fuel is its coolant. - even test firing a dry pump will ruin it in less than 5 seconds!)
Unread 01-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #5
kik

You're correct. Your reserve should be approx. 2-3 gals. according to Chrysler, but their version of approx. can be off. You're going to have to have enough fuel to keep the light off which is a good idea anyway. As far as burning up your fuel pump, it has a built in reservoir which constantly fills which then pumps fuel into the system from the reservoir and technically not directly from the tank. So, even if you run out of fuel there will still be gas in the reservoir to keep your fuel pump cool enough so it won't burn out. Regardless, it's still not a good idea to run it down to the low fuel warning. I wouldn't like it either if mine registered with 4 gals. to go but I don't think a dealer would be required to do anything with it since Chrysler's approximate range is subject to their interpretation. I would check with them anyway.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

All makes sense - I think my 09 also came on too early - I usually get acouple three or four days of regular back and forth driving once the lightcomes on. I am sure there was a reason, and I wouldn't bring it back forthat... Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.