Loose pitman arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Loose pitman arm

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Loose pitman arm

Hey guys my pitman arm looks loose and I have terrible wheel slop where I can't move the wheel and it has about 1/2 inch of play. When I hit bumps I go flying. tell me what you think:

This shows pitman to steering box nut:
http://youtu.be/8K3k-qCKRQ4

This shows the arm movement and angle:
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

orangera1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Is that the original pitman arm?

Your video is so close I can't tell what's moving, camera or jeep.

Anyway all that stuff should be tight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about the video :/. You can kinda see the arm move in the second and the first one shows the pitman arm nut movement.
Could this cause my steering issues?
Also I think it's after market but not sure, had a shop do the lift.
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

See how tight the nut is? Maybe take it off and see if the arm falls off. Then inspect the splines for damage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
ncb

Looks like a drop pitman arm which is a bad idea on a JK. Most are junk and don't tighten up on the shaft. The up and down movement is what's causing the erratic steering. I'd go back to the stock pitman arm and a drag link flip if you have enough lift and bump stop.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

The thing is, the steering was better then it ever has been after I got the lift. About two week ago I hit a mud hole at about 10 mph and nose dived into it about 4 feet. I had to get two trucks to pull me out bc my engine wouldn't run at the incline it was on. Took it to the shop and had it all realigned (steering was past 30 degrees unaligned) and they had to adjust a lot of stuff under there. But ever since the mud hole accident it has been terrible to drive and frankly scary. It will swerve at any bumps and the steering has a lot of play. Could the pitman arm be damaged or knocked out of place?
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

like one said a drop pit arm is a real bad design for a Jk. It puts a load on the sector shaft as well that it can not handle. If you have a lift of at LEAST 3" or more what you can consider is flipping the drag link to the top of Knuckle, you have to buy a tie rod for this and plan 300 for that part. BUT now you MUST raise the track bar 3". and you will be bump stopping out 3" as well. These are the 3 and lifts done right.

If you entered a mud hole/ what ever with enough speed to make something out that much alignment plus there is not to align on a jk what the toe in? unless you have full adjustibles , sounds more like a crash? But none the less that pit arm con'3t be loose on the sector shaft nor should the shaft have to much play its self.
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

My dad doesn't want to do anything because the shop said it is fine...
Ill post a better video soon and maybe someone can better explain the problem so he can better understand.
4x4 shop can't look at it until next week and I need it tomorrow so it's really important that I get it fixed today.
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The pitman arm should not move independent of the sector shaft. It is splined and tapered to help prevent this. Pull it off and inspect as mentioned previously. More then likely bad install.
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

He said that there needs to be articulation in the system so when you hit bumps XD
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

There appears to be a large portion sticking out on the top of the arm that has grooves?
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangera1n View Post
He said that there needs to be articulation in the system so when you hit bumps XD
Please explain that statement. You aren't implying that the pitman arm and sector shaft should have flex are you?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangera1n View Post
There appears to be a large portion sticking out on the top of the arm that has grooves?
Get rid of that abortion of a pitman arm and replace it with the stock unit.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lol that's what the 4x4 shop said. Tie rod, pitman arm, ect all that stuff should flex down there.
And is the portion sticking out of the top of the pitman arm look normal tho? It looks like it the groves fit into the steering box.
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
orangera1n
2009 JK Wrangler 

However the drag link seems to have a portion that has a small but gradual bend (hard to notice)
And the tie rod has a noticeable bend near the left wheel (dunno if that's normal)
But I still think it's the pitman arm giving the problem. And before you say replace the drop arm with stock, this setup worked perfect before the accident.

Edit:
If I go under the car and push up on the pitman arm it moves about 5mm up and down. I can also move it in a 360 and angle it freely.

Tags
loose , pitman arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.