Loose hose (breather tube?) help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Loose hose (breather tube?) help

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Loose hose (breather tube?) help

So I just walked into my garage and as I walked up behind the jeep, I see a hose dangling. Get up under there and the loose end appears to be plugged with a white cap, but there is also a metal clip on the hose. It just came unclipped from where it belongs. It wasn't like this earlier this morning. Can someone tell me where to re-attach it? It's still attached to the axle.... it's the upper end that is dangling down.

ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

i'd make it longer so u dont have to worry about it ever getting water in it...

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

If, in fact, it is just a breather tube, I'd love to make it longer. Just seems kinda odd that it's got a plug on the high end. Plus-- between now and when I lengthen it, I still need to hook it back up. Can anyone either tell me, or snap a pic to where it should be clipped?
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
4whelin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Look around on the pumpkin(gear housing) there should be a short tube coming from the side near the top of it.
2008 JK Sahara 4dr. Wangler, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, BFG M/T 35" w/ Pro Comp 7069 wheels, V-6 with Auto tranny, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 3 way hard top, My Gig system (to cool), 40 ch. Cobra CB, Xenon flat fenders, 12k Mile Marker winch, Tatrum LED rock lights, Front/Rear Smittybilt XRC bumpers.
River Raider rock sliders.
"you're not a serial killer till you get caught"
4whelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

No-- it doesn't attach to the pumpkin. In the pic I posted above, it is connected properly, so you can see clearly it doesn't go to the pumpkin.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

it should be snapped somewhere near the wheel well on the frame.. if i remember right..

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

YES... its on the pass side rear right above the frame.. mine feels like its just tucked in there...

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Hmmmmmm.... it's just tough. I snapped that picture a few days ago, when the hose was attached properly (at least I assume it was). So what you're seeing here is the hose, properly attached, when viewed from the back passenger corner. It looks to me like the hose goes more towards the center of the jeep, as opposed to the frame near the wheel well.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok-- I posted that last one before your last post, I'll go check there. Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

one the the plastic bolts or w.e u wanna call them on the inner fender is holding mine in..

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Ahhhh.... thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it. My little Christmas tree plug that was holding it somewhere broke off. Still a metal clip, but I think I found a place for it. I bet it got rattle loose during the lift install.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

yup no problem... hope mine doesnt get popped off after my lift gets installed..

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
desertjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

The little plastic cap that you described on the end of the hose is the standard way that breather tubes are terminated. The hose pointed to in your picture is definitely the breather for the rear axle.

Another poster mentioned extending it. I would second this suggestion as you don't want it to go underwater - you're likely to suck water into the axle housing in that case.

I replaced mine with a longer rubber tube and brought it across to the passenger's side and routed it up into the area behind the tail light. I had to remove the tail light to get access but it made for a relatively clean setup and the breather now terminates at a much higher point than the stock setup.

I also relocated the front breather to terminate on the firewall right at the top. I'd like to relocate the breather for the transmission (auto) and T-case but I can't find the bugger.
2007 2 door Rubicon. 3.5" RE lift, 35" Goodyear MTRs, Procomp 8179 15x8 wheels, 4.88 Superior gears and alloy shafts. Shrockworks stubby front bumper, Rockhard rear bumper, JE Reel 1350 driveshafts, Warn Powerplant winch, CB, GPS.
desertjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
4whelin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
No-- it doesn't attach to the pumpkin. In the pic I posted above, it is connected properly, so you can see clearly it doesn't go to the pumpkin.
My bad I was thinking of the front axle
2008 JK Sahara 4dr. Wangler, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, BFG M/T 35" w/ Pro Comp 7069 wheels, V-6 with Auto tranny, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 3 way hard top, My Gig system (to cool), 40 ch. Cobra CB, Xenon flat fenders, 12k Mile Marker winch, Tatrum LED rock lights, Front/Rear Smittybilt XRC bumpers.
River Raider rock sliders.
"you're not a serial killer till you get caught"
4whelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.