looking at used JK's, educate me.. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > looking at used JK's, educate me..

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODMODEX View Post
I've found them around here for 22, 000 regularly with 40-70k miles, ideally I would just get a new one with a 72 month plan, but it totals to $350 a month with the options I want, I want a payment closer to $300 or even maybe a bit lower, but it's almost worth it to go new...
If I found one for that price around here, I'd have to ask what's wrong with it. I guess as you move further north, used Wranglers may be cheaper. I know that when my sister, in Minnesnowda bought a TJ for her son, she paid almost half of what the same TJ would go for in my area.

dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #17
GODMODEX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm looks like I should look around for my options, didn't know that about credit unions! And that sounds like a sweet deal
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline View Post
Dualtjs you said the dark cherry got discontinued , when did that start I got a dark cherry red one Saturday I was actually looking for a white one but they said they had this one and I thought well I haven't seen many that color running around my area so I bought it , seems like everyone is buying commando green I went to the store there where three in the parking lot , I was also looking at used and for about the same money I got the new one it made more sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I was told a month ago, that Dark Cherry is discontinued. That doesn't mean that there aren't any on dealership lots right now. It does mean that you can't order a Dark Cherry built how you want. I was exploring that option, because none of the Dark Cherry JKU's within 200 miles of Atlanta had hard top, auto and black fender flairs (all of which were requirements for me to buy a new one). I could find 2 of the 3 but not all 3 on one JK.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do a search, heard the first year JKs burn lots of oil and need to be rebuilt way before their time, I don't know that for a fact, just what Ive read.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #20
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Do a search, heard the first year JKs burn lots of oil and need to be rebuilt way before their time, I don't know that for a fact, just what Ive read.
The 07's had a TIPM issue (computer), but this is the 1st that I've heard of "burning oil". The 3.8L motor was in mini vans and Pacifica's for over a decade (Pacifica's not as long), before it was put into the JK, so I'd be very surprised to find out that the motor had some kind of 1st year issue like burning oil.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #21
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

This probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway.... When shopping for an earlier model JKU, be sure that you aren't looking at 2WD. You mentioned JKU's in your area with 40K-70K miles, for $22K. Be sure that they aren't 2WD's. We have JKU's that fit those parameters, in the Atlanta area, but none are 4wd.
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #22
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

The 3.8 was used in the mini vans and it is the same motor used in the JK's up through 2011. I don't think just the 07 would have an issue burning oil. Chrysler didn't make any changes up through '11 to the motor that would affect the oil....at least that I am aware of. Just using some common logic here. With that said I am sure somebody has an issue burning oil, but you can say that with any vehicle make and model. Just be sure what ever you end up buying check the oil on a regular basis and you will be fine.
Utah_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #23
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

One other thing I would recommend is installing an aftermarket transmission cooler if you go automatic. My transmission is currently the smoothest shifting one I have ever owned but I still don't trust Chrysler transmissions. They always seem to undersize them imo. Of course I don't trust many transmissions out there.

From what I have read Chrysler tried to be innovative and route the fluid through the a/c condenser for cooling on these Jeeps and it just doesn't get the job done. I just ordered my cooler this week for installation. An extra piece of mind that will hopefully extend the life of the tranny.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
93civEJ1

Want more info as this is kind of been crossing my mind lately too. I like the new interior, but not sure I could swing brand new right now. I have read the 3.8 sucks..but why other than power?
I have also read some things about burning oil....
93civEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
Want more info as this is kind of been crossing my mind lately too. I like the new interior, but not sure I could swing brand new right now. I have read the 3.8 sucks..but why other than power?
I have also read some things about burning oil....
3.8 doesn't suck. The auto tranny that they paired with it isn't geared appropriately. To get to the same net gearing (engine to wheels) as the 2012+ models, you would need to regear an 07-11 JK with auto to 4.56 (from 3.73 for 08-11 & 4.10 for 07). Going from the 12-13 auto to the 07-11 auto tranny is as big a change as 's big a change as going from 29" tires to 35" tires (as TJ owners who didn't regear what it was like going from stock tires to 35's).

As far as burning oil is concerned... Apparently some of 3.8's in the 07's were put together wrong. From the time that the error was caught, there haven't been any oil burning problems.
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
93civEJ1

Thanks....I have a few options I am trying to weigh.

Trade in my current tacoma and take a small hit and probably not get exactly what I want
Sell my Tacoma myself start out fresh.
Sell my 94 Built Supra, pay off tacoma and have tacoma and rubicon.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #27
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here is one other thing to consider when doing your research. I am reading comments such as they burn oil and they suck and so forth. I am not disputing it is a good idea to find out if there are any major issues before purchasing a vehicle, however all vehicles regardless of make or model are going to have issues if you go looking for them.

The reality of it is there is probably a very small percentage of people that have oil burning issues. We have no way of knowing what the percentage is but even if it is 10% (which is unlikely it is that high) that means 90% don't have the issue. When people have a problem or issue they need fixed they are going to come to the forums looking for answers. When you search oil burning issues (or other issues for the matter) you are going to read threads from those who have had the issue creating the illusion that the majority are having problems when in fact they are not. I hope that makes sense.

Find the vehicle you want, buy it and if problems arise deal with them. Know going into a Jeep or any other vehicle you will have problems to fix eventually.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

Sell both ricers and build one bad @ss Jeep!
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
93civEJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
Sell both ricers and build one bad @ss Jeep!
I am wanting to pretty much keep the supra. It has too much money in it and time spent honestly.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
93civEJ1

The only Rubicons that I can find on lots anywhere close to me are 2 10th Anniversarys and 1 2010.

Everything is else sahara or sport. Im not sure why there are hardly any Rubicons around here for sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.