Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking at new JKU

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Campy39 
#1 ·
Trying to get back into Jeep world this holiday weekend. Drove a TJ and WJ for many years but both have left me. Test drove a new JKU and like it. More then likely will just a sport so i can make it what i want down the road.

Question is are there any pro/cons of auto vs manual? My TJ was a 5speed and i miss that but i know the autos have improved. Also this will be my DD so i factor that in. Other then preference is their any tech tranny issues to make one better?

Thanks

#2 ·
I was in your shoes a week ago. I went with the Sport with the manual. I've had the manual in each of my Jeeps and didn't see the point of paying $1300 to change the streak. That being said, I probably would opt for the auto if it was my DD. The six speed does feel like I'm always shifting. I don't know about the Jeep market in B'more but the dealers down here were quick to deal on the sport models. Good hunting!

#3 ·
I like standards and got my 13 2dr in a 6 speed. Didn't see the need to pay extra for an auto.

Wife had a 12 JKU in a standard also... base model no power windows or locks.

She wanted an auto and the power windows and locks. So I got her a 14 with the auto. After driving the 14, I wish I would have gotten an auto in my 2dr also.

Nothing wrong with the standard but it would be nice to just sit back and drive on the way to work and going through traffic.

#11 ·
I like standards and got my 13 2dr in a 6 speed. Didn't see the need to pay extra for an auto.

Wife had a 12 JKU in a standard also... base model no power windows or locks.

She wanted an auto and the power windows and locks. So I got her a 14 with the auto. After driving the 14, I wish I would have gotten an auto in my 2dr also.

Nothing wrong with the standard but it would be nice to just sit back and drive on the way to work and going through traffic.
I had a standard the first ten years my wife and I were together in other vehicles. She could drive it but she hated it. I just bought an 08 Sahara and went with automatic and power everything. I love it and my wife is very happy. I even let her drive it sometimes.

#4 ·
I bought the 6-spd for fun and simplicity, no regrets.

My off road use is mostly light beach and forest trails, but if I thought I'd ever crawl it, I'd probably have gone auto.

All reports are the auto is an excellent transmission.

#5 ·
Auto pulls better with the W5. But no matter get the MOST gear you can. sports start at 3.21<sucks. 3.73 is your highest gear unless you go Rubi. Then from there the stick Rubi is 4.1 The auto rubi is 3.73 but has the option of 4.1. reason is that at 4.1 in that auto you are over geared for 32s. Mine could smoke the tire out of the whole real easy, but highway rpms can be a bit high since that trans OD is only .87 not .60 like the old 42le or even the .76? stick in 6th? But ready for 35s. that is a first for a Jeep to be able to run 35s stock and work rather well...

#6 ·
Not sure how far off your purchase is, but the 8spd auto in my wifes Grand Cherokee is no joke.
I've driven a standard transmission for over 30 years now (often reach for clutch/stick when driving the Grand), but, I would give it up for that 8spd if it makes it into the 2017 JK.

#7 ·
I could be wrong, but I THOUGHT I'd only read about the new 8-spd making it in the JL/JLU and possibly the it involved a wheelbase change.

So I'm not sure they would attempt addict a change on the final model year of the JK/JKU.

#8 ·
The new autos is worth it off road, hands down. been wheeling since 75. been through many sticks. If it was back in 2011 with that 42 le that is the definition of " slush box". terrible gear splits. Then i would say the stick was at the time a bit better. Today this auto needs less gear, than both. If they do it right and i doubt it. they may do it well enough with 9. but its all about the splits and tire size Vs gears..

But again no matter what you get, its ALL about the gears. They are not cheap to replace latter and effects warranties. If you plan to run larger tires, be sure to get at least the 3.73. it will save you $$$ down theroad

#12 ·
I love manual transmissions but in my 07 JKU I had an automatic. That automatic was kind of bad but regearing the differentials helped it tremendously.

I traded my 07 in on a 14 JKU. The automatic in it is probably the best automatic I have driven. I ended up regearing the differentials on this one anyway due to going with bigger tires, and it is great.

#15 ·
:cool: If you want the jeep as a toy and love driving a stick/love the feel of the physical gear change/love the timed RPM shift/love the hydraulic clutch use/love the gear shift wobble/love the smell of burned clutch disc/love keeping your right arm busy/love the cost of clutch/TOB replacement ALL THE TIME---

Get a stick !

If you off-road your jeep drive in traffic and want to enjoy the life around you--

Get an auto, almost no difference in gas mileage and that depends on your driving habits-

The auto is far superior in all off-road driving anyway-

Whatever

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

#16 ·
Still searching for the right one/right price. Some of the dealers here are not that fun to deal with.

Biggest problem now is what color. Got it narrowed down to Billett, Granite, Red, Hydro blue or black. Been driving black/black car past couple of years and could use some color :) Hopefully search ends soon!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.