looking to buy a jk need some help?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > looking to buy a jk need some help?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

looking to buy a jk need some help?!

hey guys ive had a couple jeeps now i currently have a 2000 grand cherokee and previously had a yj wrangler but im moving up to a jk!Saved some money and would like something new! im looking to spend about 22,000,and definatly getting a 4 door! I was thinking maybe a 2007,2008! is there anything i should i look for? what are the common problems that theses jeeps have? im going to lift it shortly after i get it and do some mild offroading nothing to extreme since i live in florida lol. so just any pointers you guys have or an info to give me is much appreciated! cheers

wyattwj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
utlax18
2007 JK Wrangler 

I bought a used 07 JKU auto with 44K miles almost 2 years ago and here is what you need to be aware of:

1. Possible oil eater. They are known for eating oil. Plenty of posts about it. Read up on them first. I switched to 5w-30 oil, replaced PCV valve and I might go through 1/2 qt every 3k miles.
2. Replaced lower intake exhaust manifold gasket that was leaking at 52K miles.
3. Replaced water pump at 45K miles. (easy to do yourself...read up on the posts about it)
4. Replaced all ball joints at 60K miles. (Jeep has piss poor BJ's)
5. New brakes at around 65K miles.
6. Driver side exhaust manifold at 50K miles (these are known to crack
7. Weeping transmission cooler lines. Mine are weeping, but not to the point they are leaking on the ground. Covered under 08, but not 07 as a recall item.
8. Fuel spitback problem when filling tank. More prevelant in winter time. Jeep will replace the fille neck.
9. Just rebuilt my rear end (spider gears chipped, rear seals leaking, etc.) and got jeep back today.

So, if you are mechanically inclined, like to work on cars, have lots of disposable money, then go for it!! If not, save your money and get '12 or '13. I wish I did more research before getting my '07. Use this forum and others to educate yourself first. I will never buy a used Jeep again after my experience. I have not even taken it off road and put in another 5K into it when it was all said and done. Could have bought a new one for what I paid used and for repair costs.

Best of luck!
utlax18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

" Replaced lower intake exhaust manifold gasket"? What is an intake exhaust manifold gasket? I have almost 65,000 on my 08JK with none of the problems you state...with one exception, occasionally the gas does kick back. Been waiting two years for a fix from the dealer...IDGAS anymore.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
utlax18
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry..typo on my part. Just lower intake manifold gasket..not "exhaust" gasket. Glad to hear your JKU is virutally problem free and I hope it stays that way for ya! I wish I would have saved up and gotten and an '10 or '11 for warrnty purposes. Live and learn!

Cheers.
utlax18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

As stated above, read rwad read. Also early 2007s had a d 35 rear axle. Yih want the 44. You can tell by the drain plug or fill plug if I remember correctly. If getting an auto youll almost need to regear with bigger tires as the 4spd is terrble. Check underside for offroading. Obvious things. Do a compression check if you have the gauge adapters and know how
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
deftones07
2011 JK Wrangler 

Id maybe get an 09- 11 JK if your going 3.8. Seems most problems were in the 07-08 years .

I have a 2011 with 70 000 KM. Never had one issue at all, doesnt eat oil, never had an error code. Its actually been great. The 42rle isnt a horrible tranny. Most people complaining live in the mountains where its more massive inclines than not. EASILY fixed with a re-gear. Will drive better than stock. dont forget the AUX cooler just for piece of mind.Remember jeeps arent race cars, i could care less about how a 3.6 is faster in 0-60.. lol

I also get 19 - 20 mpg consistantly on 33 tires. Hilly area. ( Ive heard alot of 3.6's not getting this at all). I am very happy with my 3.8, its a motor that has proven itself as reliable. and the 42rle Re-geard is great. personally I wont get a 3.6 ever . Im waiting for something better such as a diesel if it ever comes. Ill keep my 2011 forever and evevntually do a LS swap whenever my engine is done

Tons of great deals on 07-2011 jeeps as people have traded in for the new 3.6. And the 3.8s are good aswell. Neither engine is what the jeep actually deserves though lol

good luck

20?? ?? 2 Door Stick Rubi Diesel - Next;)
deftones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

id like too get a 2011 or similiar just dont think i can afford it! i am mechanically inclined as i replaced my jeeps motor and have done several jobs so thats not a problem but i just dont want to have to be fixing it all the time
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

I picked up a 2009 two door 6 speed a few weeks ago. So far the only complaint I have is the steering wheel sometimes has a "clunk" to it while turning. I brought it back to the dealer and the guy I dealt with informed me that "that's normal, every jk I've driven has that." So me not buying the bs looked into it after I got back home and found out its the bearing in the steering shaft. From what I read a lot of people have been filling the shaft with grease to keep the bushing in place, and that prevents the clunk. I haven't done this yet, not sure if I will. Aside from that I love my jeep, it is a dog if you try and get on the gas, but if you're buying a jeep you aren't looking to go fast in my opinion so that doesn't bother me one bit. If you have other questions that you can't find answers for on here check out the jk owners forum. Good luck!

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh-n-roll View Post
I picked up a 2009 two door 6 speed a few weeks ago. So far the only complaint I have is the steering wheel sometimes has a "clunk" to it while turning. I brought it back to the dealer and the guy I dealt with informed me that "that's normal, every jk I've driven has that." So me not buying the bs looked into it after I got back home and found out its the bearing in the steering shaft. From what I read a lot of people have been filling the shaft with grease to keep the bushing in place, and that prevents the clunk. I haven't done this yet, not sure if I will. Aside from that I love my jeep, it is a dog if you try and get on the gas, but if you're buying a jeep you aren't looking to go fast in my opinion so that doesn't bother me one bit. If you have other questions that you can't find answers for on here check out the jk owners forum. Good luck!
The steering wheel clunk noise is news to me. So far (5 years owning it), hasn't happened...yet.

If you get the auto, like said earlier, add an auxiliary transmission cooler (about $80 at AutoZone. B&M #70268 is the one most JK owners, myself included, have bought).
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
deftones07
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
id like too get a 2011 or similiar just dont think i can afford it! i am mechanically inclined as i replaced my jeeps motor and have done several jobs so thats not a problem but i just dont want to have to be fixing it all the time
Get what you can afford. They are all great! I love my jeep and everyone i know loves there regardless of year it is.

When you look up information online you usually come across people who are posting about something that has gone wrong. No one posts about how there jeep hadnt had a problem at all. Therefore out of the millions of jks out there, your hearing about problems of people who had a lemon. unless serious production problem like the 2012's and ticking heads where most of them had to be replaced.

Sounds like you have knowledge on vehicles, do your inspections and buy any year. Theres nothing wrong with a 07 or 08. Im happy aslong as i have a wrangler in my drive . lol

20?? ?? 2 Door Stick Rubi Diesel - Next;)
deftones07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Hey y'all haven't updated in a while but I've found a couple 2008 wranglers 4 doors with about 50,000 'miles. a few stock ones and a few lifted ones! What I'm wanting is one that's lifted for 35 in tires I was wondering what your guys opinion was on this. Should I buy one currently lifted with rims and tires or should I take a couple thousand dollars out of the money I'll be spending on a jeep and buy a stock one and make it exactly the way I want it? I'm completely for building it my self my last two jeeps I built all my self I just know I'll be limited on funds right away. How much would a lift rims and tires run me if I wanted say 1800 worth of rims and tires how big of a lift do I need which one do you guys recommend just trying to figure out my budget it'll mostly be driving around town but mild off-roading thank you and help is much appreciated!
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattwj123 View Post
Hey y'all haven't updated in a while but I've found a couple 2008 wranglers 4 doors with about 50,000 'miles. a few stock ones and a few lifted ones! What I'm wanting is one that's lifted for 35 in tires I was wondering what your guys opinion was on this. Should I buy one currently lifted with rims and tires or should I take a couple thousand dollars out of the money I'll be spending on a jeep and buy a stock one and make it exactly the way I want it? I'm completely for building it my self my last two jeeps I built all my self I just know I'll be limited on funds right away. How much would a lift rims and tires run me if I wanted say 1800 worth of rims and tires how big of a lift do I need which one do you guys recommend just trying to figure out my budget it'll mostly be driving around town but mild off-roading thank you and help is much appreciated!
buy stock, larger tires etc put stress on the drive trail especially if not regeared. which people rarely do to a jeep they're selling, also less of a chance of it being already damaged from off roading
1800 is more than enough for a pair of nice 35s, theyll be cheaper if you run a smaller wheel, but you have to make sure itll clear the brake calipers, theres posts on which wheels fit, and which don't. then theres also the option to just run wheel spacers. don't fear them, if torqued properly there should be no issues.
if you trim the fenders, its easy to fit 35s with just extended bump stops. depending on the wheeling you do you may want a small lift, but i really isn't necessary. i personally wouldn't run over a 3" but finding a complete kit under that size is hard. so, if it were me leveling kit, 2-3" bump stops, off road evo rock star skids for the rear lca's and shocks, and 35s on a 15" wheel.
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski
buy stock, larger tires etc put stress on the drive trail especially if not regeared. which people rarely do to a jeep they're selling, also less of a chance of it being already damaged from off roading 1800 is more than enough for a pair of nice 35s, theyll be cheaper if you run a smaller wheel, but you have to make sure itll clear the brake calipers, theres posts on which wheels fit, and which don't. then theres also the option to just run wheel spacers. don't fear them, if torqued properly there should be no issues. if you trim the fenders, its easy to fit 35s with just extended bump stops. depending on the wheeling you do you may want a small lift, but i really isn't necessary. i personally wouldn't run over a 3" but finding a complete kit under that size is hard. so, if it were me leveling kit, 2-3" bump stops, off road evo rock star skids for the rear lca's and shocks, and 35s on a 15" wheel.
Thanks man what is your opinion on a rc 2.5 in lift? Will I still have to trim?
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
wyattwj123
2000 WJ 

Also I heard I could do rims with back spacing and flat fenders with 35s? And do the lift a little later what's your opinion on that
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2007 JK Wrangler 

If you have $22k to spend and shop around, I think you can find a newer one than '07 or '08.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.