Looking to buy 1st Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking to buy 1st Jeep

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
StateFan

Looking to buy 1st Jeep

I need some advice. I'm looking at buying a 2 door JK Sport. I want to put a 2 - 2.5" lift on it and run either 33" or 35" tires. I want to get an automatic so my wife can drive it. I will take it off road on occasion, but no rock crawling. What things should I be considering? Do they come with different gear ratios? If so what do I need? I don't want to have to regear. I'm thinking of doing the 2" BB and 33" tires initially. Is there any reason I shouldn't go this route? What modifications am I looking at for this setup? I know that this topic has probably been extensively covered, but I was hoping to get advise for my specific situation. Thanks for your help.

StateFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

To start with, I'm assuming you're looking at '13s. Definitely get the 3.73 gears. You may still end up regearing with 35s, but it'll be more tolerable and if you do regear it'll be cheaper (the front housing is different on the 3.21 gears and will have to be replaced). The automatic is awesome. If you get 33s, I'd wait and see how it looks before adding the BB...you might like it. You're going to want new wheels or spacers for better clearance.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
awinski
2012 JK Wrangler 

3.73 gears by far, you can easily fit 33s without any lift. also if getting an auto with 35s, i would look at '12 and up for the new 5 speed auto, the old 4 speed in the 07-11 can be a dog, another extensively covered topic. as for lift height and tire size, it is all your decision, take a look around youll see something you like that should fit your needs
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
StateFan

Yes, I forgot to mention that I am wanting to get a new 2013 model. Thanks for the input so far.
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
StateFan

Bump
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If this is your first jeep you need to start with a cj-5 to get the real feel of a jeep. Then you can buy your JK.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.