Looking to buy. 07 vs 08? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Looking to buy. 07 vs 08?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep. Only for the 1ST owner. Chrysler would love to get rid of those. I'm keeping mine for as long as I can.

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #17
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
The lifetime warranty CANNOT be transferred... EVER...

http://www.jeep.com/en/lifetime_powe...ranty/faq.html
im sorry. you dont get the original owners warranty. they recertify the vehicle. and as long as you have it serviced by them in the correct intervals the lifetime powertrain warranty will be honored. that is why they recertify it.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
im sorry. you dont get the original owners warranty. they recertify the vehicle. and as long as you have it serviced by them in the correct intervals the lifetime powertrain warranty will be honored. that is why they recertify it.
I am still going to disagree because I have asked three different dealers in my area, all with the same result. You'd think that if it were transferable by ANY means, it would list the requirements in the FAQ's and the dealers would certainly be all over it. One of the dealers even called Chrysler for me and asked. I figured my 2009 that I just bought weeks ago, would have SOME sort of warranty with less than 30k miles when I bought it. Instead, all of their paperwork comes up as intelligible for warranty due to mileage. I even contact Jeep headquarters myself as I would have LOVED to get even a slight warranty, yet there again, was nothing available. Go ahead and give it a try again...

And that's another thing... I don't doubt you were offered a warranty, but I doubt it was the Chrysler Lifetime warranty. Chrysler says, again in the FAQ I provided, that it is YOUR responsibility to have the vehicle serviced. Doesn't HAVE to be by Chrysler. As long as you have the vehicle inspected every few years and you keep up on maintenance...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok well i was lied to. I didnt get whatever they were offering bc i was moving to england. Regardless i would never let the dealership service my vehicle for anything. If they do it...then wtf am i gonna learn. So to the OP....get a newer jk with the 3.6L If thats an option for you...as soon as we go back to the states im buying a 2014 jkr keeping the 2007 jku too.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjilla View Post
I also disagree. I see that you are in the UK, and it may be different there.

When I bought my '08 used (with one previous owner), I called Chrysler directly to find out if there was any way to transfer or extend the warranty, and was told "no." I even called back a couple of times to see if I might get a different answer, but they were consistent.

I could certainly have gotten some type of warranty if I wanted to, but could find no way to get the Chrysler lifetime powetrain warranty....which was all I was interested in.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #21
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmn View Post

I also disagree. I see that you are in the UK, and it may be different there.

When I bought my '08 used (with one previous owner), I called Chrysler directly to find out if there was any way to transfer or extend the warranty, and was told "no." I even called back a couple of times to see if I might get a different answer, but they were consistent.

I could certainly have gotten some type of warranty if I wanted to, but could find no way to get the Chrysler lifetime powetrain warranty....which was all I was interested in.
This was in missouri(america) in december 2011. This is what i was told and tried to be sold by the service department@Leesummit chysler.
If i was lied too..then im glad i didnt bite at it. Anyway...back to the OPs ???'s
Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
Unread 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #22
bearfilm
2008 JK Wrangler 

if it were me - I would lean more to the 08's - reading the forums for the last few years, most of the problems seemed towards the 07's. I personally have 125000 on my 08 with no major servicing yet required!
bearfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

07 and 08 have a real bad tendency to spin bearings in the engine.
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

"Bad tendency", I've heard of two in 6 years. but 20/50 overheating 07/11--over 1200ea, 2012 3.6l heads replaced-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
07 and 08 have a real bad tendency to spin bearings in the engine.
Do you have any factual record of the 07/08 spun bearing, without a TSB/Recall being issued, because of "MANY" ???

We'll wait for info !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree.. I have only heard of a couple of cases of spun bearings in over 6 years and those were a byproduct of abuse and hydrolock. ASAMOF it seems now that the 3.8 has a better track record for less major engine issues then the 3.6.
Personally I am content with my lowly 3.8...
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
"Bad tendency", I've heard of two in 6 years. but 20/50 overheating 07/11--over 1200ea, 2012 3.6l heads replaced-!

Do you have any factual record of the 07/08 spun bearing, without a TSB/Recall being issued, because of "MANY" ???

We'll wait for info !

JIMBO
That's why there are numerous posts on the internet about 3.8s drinking oil and spinning bearings? I can think of 3 or 4 people in my local jeep club that have the 3.8 just grenade. We also had a 3.8 that was getting worse and worse. Of course, the fact that it drank 1 quart / 650 miles and had a constant audible knock was normal.

Chrysler screwed up bad with the engine.
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic
That's why there are numerous posts on the internet about 3.8s drinking oil and spinning bearings? I can think of 3 or 4 people in my local jeep club that have the 3.8 just grenade. We also had a 3.8 that was getting worse and worse. Of course, the fact that it drank 1 quart / 650 miles and had a constant audible knock was normal. Chrysler screwed up bad with the engine.
With over 800,000 Wranglers on the road with a 3.8 we'll see how the 3.6 does when they get those kind of numbers.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, YUP and ON RECORD, 1300 of those 2012 Wranglers had their pleasant "TICK" engine head, replaced by WARRANTY !

The only engines that didn't have these little problems were the 1940s CJ-2As
and their duty was a little more difficult

If I was you Millermagic I'd look up Chryslers 3.8L v6 history from 1991 thru 2011 and you'll see a very satisfactory engine/use history-Chrysler didn't "screw up" with that engine-

Whatever

JIMBO
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh, YUP and ON RECORD, 1300 of those 2012 Wranglers had their pleasant "TICK" engine head, replaced by WARRANTY !

The only engines that didn't have these little problems were the 1940s CJ-2As
and their duty was a little more difficult

If I was you Millermagic I'd look up Chryslers 3.8L v6 history from 1991 thru 2011 and you'll see a very satisfactory engine/use history-Chrysler didn't "screw up" with that engine-

Whatever

JIMBO
The 4.0 was also a venerable design like the 3.8. But, just like the 3.8, there are years of the 4.0 that you avoid. Early COP 4.0s crack head and break piston skirts all the time.

They screwed up for a few years. Happens. Just something to watch out for.
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #30
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, I can digit-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
The 4.0 was also a venerable design like the 3.8. But, just like the 3.8, there are years of the 4.0 that you avoid. Early COP 4.0s crack head and break piston skirts all the time.

They screwed up for a few years. Happens. Just something to watch out for.
We're playing on the same page-

Have a goodun

JIMBO

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.